    I have come across a XP 1800 what would happen if I put this in , Could it
    do damage to the CPU
    Thanks Mike
    Mike R, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Mike R

    Andrew Guest

    What mainboard do you have?

    Andrew, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Mike R

    Mike R Guest

    iwill K266

    Mike R, Aug 22, 2003
  4. Mike R

    Maxine Guest

    Heya
    Yes, Ive got a Soltek KAV Motherboard
    It says that it can support upto 2400+ i think (266bus),
    but my question is, would it be possible to put say a 2600+ (333bus) - would
    it work?, can it be declocked?...just until I get around to upgrading the
    motherboard

    Thanks :)

    Maxine, Aug 22, 2003
  5. Mike R

    path Guest

    It will probably, and I only say probably, take up to a "Thoroughbred B" Athlon
    XP 2600+ for 133MHz front side bus, once you've updated the BIOS. Sometime
    older boards are limited to "Palimino" Athlon XP 2100+, which are a tad hard to
    find at the moment.
    The best thing to do is to go to Iwill's website and see what they've got
    listed.
    path, Aug 22, 2003
  6. Mike R

    k y l e Guest

    Maxine, I too have a Soltek KAV motherboard, and yes, I have a 2400+
    installed in it (because indeed it is the fastest processor it can support)
    and it's running fab. But my tuppence of shoestring advice (as a fellow
    proud owner) will be:

    Why not fork out for a 2400+ now (they're only 160 bucks), put it in your
    existing motherboard, then wait a year or something so you get the most out
    of your 2ghz processor.

    THEN, buy a whole new mobo with perhaps a 4ghz processor or 64bit AMD
    Opteron or whatever's the hip choice of a year's time. I'm just thinking, if
    you're going to upgrade your motherboard / rig later, you can afford to
    postpone that, and get yourself a 'next-generation' cpu when the time comes
    that they step up to the mark with something more powerful than what they
    have now. Our Soltek motherboards have served us well in that they have
    provided us with the Athlons / Durons of the 1ghz region, and with an
    upgrade can take us past the 2ghz region (my SiSoft Sandra benchmarks for my
    2400+ processor smoked the 2.4ghz Pentium 4s and pretty much on a par with
    the 2.66ghz P4. And within striking distance of the 2.8's...hmmmmm, it's
    nice to spend as little money as possible on an upgrade and get a similar
    level of performance as someone who spent thousands on their rig, rather
    than just a couple of hundred). The 2400+ really is good value with the
    Soltek KAV in my opinion; and if you stick with it, you could well get a
    couple more years of value from it until technological change finally
    catches up with us. By then, those that have forked out for their fancy
    quad-pumped 800mhz bus will be due for an upgrade themselves. I just get the
    feeling that these P4 3ghz chips and Bartons are just a stepping stone to
    something much grander - it's like, "let them (the early adopters) do the
    hard yards along the highway, we'll just shortcut thru the overpass and meet
    them on the other side" :))

    k y l e, Aug 22, 2003
  7. Mike R

    Paradox Guest

    It will work. But it will run at 133 bus speed [unless you overclock] which
    means it'll be the equivalent of an Athlon 2000+.

    Rob

    Paradox, Aug 23, 2003
  8. Mike R

    Kazonme Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:11:02 +1200, "Maxine" <> wrote:

    >Heya
    >Yes, Ive got a Soltek KAV Motherboard
    >It says that it can support upto 2400+ i think (266bus),
    >but my question is, would it be possible to put say a 2600+ (333bus) - would
    >it work?, can it be declocked?...just until I get around to upgrading the
    >motherboard

    I have 2 of these Mboard
    I have email the vendor..
    the reply

    The maximum FSB for KAV is 266
    and the BIOS need to be updated to Q11

    Max XP2600+ via Bios auto detection

    does not support Barton
    email the Vendor they will reply within 48 hours
    Kazonme, Aug 23, 2003
  9. Mike R

    Rich Guest

    Your model is missing a letter, if its a KK266 (not +) then you will be
    lucky to even get a 1600+ CPU to work as they dont officially support
    anything above an Athlon 1400.

    Rich, Aug 23, 2003
  10. Mike R

    Maxine Guest

    Thanks for your reply, and to everyone else ! :)
    Im keen to know more about your performance (benchmarks etc). What
    ram/graphics card ?
    Thanks :)
    Maxine

    Maxine, Aug 23, 2003