    KT266.

    What's best bang for buck, to upgrade the cpu in the current Athlon line up?

    TIA

    Scott, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Scott

    Ben Perston Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > I have a DFI AD72 motherboard running an Athlon 1.2 cpu. The chipset is VIA
    > KT266.
    >
    > What's best bang for buck, to upgrade the cpu in the current Athlon line up?
    >
    > TIA

    If the motherboard'll run a Barton then the 1833 MHz 2500+ is probably
    best, especially if you want to overclock it. Is your RAM okay for 166
    MHz? If not, the 2000 MHz 2400+ is probably the way to go.

    An Athlon 1.2 is still pretty good though... you're tempted to hang onto
    that for a while longer, and then get a flash P4?

    Ben Perston, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Scott

    path Guest

    Paradox wrote:

    > "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a DFI AD72 motherboard running an Athlon 1.2 cpu. The chipset is

    > VIA
    > > KT266.
    > >
    > > What's best bang for buck, to upgrade the cpu in the current Athlon line

    > up?
    >
    > Using the standard FSB and multipliers, (without overclocking) I think
    > you'll be limited to133x12.5 which equates to an Athlon 2000+, which is
    > pretty good value currently. Spending more on a faster CPU would mean better
    > upgradability later, and the potential to overclock the motherboard. If you
    > don't overclock then your 2500+ etc will simply run at 2000+ speed which is
    > probably money wasted.

    There're cheap adapters you can buy which sit under the CPU & let you set the
    multiplier all the way up to 24x.

    You'll need to update the BIOS before putting in a new CPU.

    If you've got a 100mhz fsb motherboard, you'll need an unlocked CPU, & perhaps
    the said multiplier adapter too.

    If you've got a 133mhz fsb motherboard, it'll probably take any Athlon XP that
    goes with 133mhz fsb (2400+ would be best.)

    You're not going to get a massive speedup by upgrading right now unless you're
    prepared to spend up big. If it's games you're into, a better video card would
    be of more help than a new CPU. You may want to wait until the Athlon64 comes
    out. Whatever you decide, make sure to pass on your old unused parts to someone
    who wants them as they're still fully useful for many.

    path, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Scott

    Andrew Guest

    Depends on what PCB revision your board is, If its an A - Then you basically
    cant upgrade it, Best you can do is a Tbird 1.4 - can be picked up second
    hand

    If its a Revison D - then the highest you can go is XP 2200

    Andrew, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Scott

    cowboyz Guest

    "path" <> wrote in message
    > Paradox wrote:
    >
    > > "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have a DFI AD72 motherboard running an Athlon 1.2 cpu. The chipset

    is
    > > VIA
    > > > KT266.
    > > >
    > > > What's best bang for buck, to upgrade the cpu in the current Athlon

    line
    > > up?
    > >
    > > Using the standard FSB and multipliers, (without overclocking) I think
    > > you'll be limited to133x12.5 which equates to an Athlon 2000+, which is
    > > pretty good value currently. Spending more on a faster CPU would mean

    better
    > > upgradability later, and the potential to overclock the motherboard. If

    you
    > > don't overclock then your 2500+ etc will simply run at 2000+ speed which

    is
    > > probably money wasted.

    > There're cheap adapters you can buy which sit under the CPU & let you set

    the
    > multiplier all the way up to 24x.

    what are these called and where do you aquire them?

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    cowboyz, Jul 31, 2003