    degrees celsius.

    Please post your reply here or reply without the dots before the @.
    Thank You

    Terry, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Terry

    -Lone_Wolf- Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I upgraded a PII 266 CPU to a PII 450 CPU on a P6I440BX/B1
    > motherboard with Brilliant-I BIOS V1.0SL.

    That's like upgrading from a AMC Gremlin to a Ford Pinto (or would it be the
    other way around?)

    ;-)

    -Lone_Wolf-, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Terry

    alexandrew Guest

    your PII- 266 is 66MHz bus but your pII-450 is 100MHz bus, so I would say
    check your memory , or better change your memory to 100MHz bus(you must
    have 66MHz memory).
    Post back the finding.

    ..
    "Terry" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I upgraded a PII 266 CPU to a PII 450 CPU on a P6I440BX/B1 motherboard

    with
    > Brilliant-I BIOS V1.0SL. I know that it supports the CPU because it's a

    BX
    > chipset. I went into the BIOS and changed the Speed Easy CPU speed to

    match
    > the processor speed. I didn't change anything else. No other hardware
    > changes other than the new CPU and no software changes.
    >
    > The problem I'm having with the new configuration is that everything keeps
    > crashing. My programs get an illegal operation and must be shut down

    error
    > message and I also get some blue screens. I checked to see if there

    needed
    > to be any jumper settings changed but the only jumper I see is to clear

    the

    alexandrew, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Terry

    docmill Guest

    "Terry" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I upgraded a PII 266 CPU to a PII 450 CPU on a P6I440BX/B1 motherboard
    > with Brilliant-I BIOS V1.0SL. I know that it supports the CPU because
    > it's a BX chipset. I went into the BIOS and changed the Speed Easy CPU
    > speed to match the processor speed. I didn't change anything else. No
    > other hardware changes other than the new CPU and no software changes.
    >
    > The problem I'm having with the new configuration is that everything
    > keeps crashing. My programs get an illegal operation and must be shut
    > down error message and I also get some blue screens. I checked to see
    > if there needed to be any jumper settings changed but the only jumper I
    > see is to clear the CMOS. I also checked the CPU temperature and it's
    > holding steady at 37 degrees celsius.
    >
    > Please post your reply here or reply without the dots before the @.
    > Thank You

    It start's up and POST's OK? No Beeps? What OS are you not being able to
    run? You didn't upgrade the OS and forget the file system at one time?

    --
    +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

    docmill, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Do you mean to physically change the RAM I have inside the PC or just change
    a setting in the BIOS? I have a EDO SDRAM Speed Selection which can go to
    50ns or 60ns. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS about the clock speed of
    the RAM.

    Terry

    Terry, Nov 8, 2003
  6. Terry

    Terry Guest

    It passes the POST test. The standard 1 beep I'm OK POST. I'm running
    Windows 98. It's a clean install that I done last year. Didn't upgrade the
    OS.

    Terry

    Terry, Nov 8, 2003
  7. Terry

    docmill Guest

    "Terry" <> wrote in

    > It passes the POST test. The standard 1 beep I'm OK POST. I'm running
    > Windows 98. It's a clean install that I done last year. Didn't upgrade
    > the OS.

    <snip>

    Try and reload WIn 98 on top of itself. IFRC, you can rename the Programs
    Files folder in 98 from Windows or a DOS prompt. Any way you can manage it,
    save the program files folder, and then reinstall the WIN98. When it's done,
    you need to get rid of the new Programs File folder and put back the old one.
    And of course, Windows Media Player 9 won't let you install the OS without
    puking up some of their files, but that's only if you had the mustard and
    downed that dog.

    --
    +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"
    No Lemmings or pseudo-plonkers were amused by this post, but I tried.

    docmill, Nov 8, 2003
  8. Terry

    Shel-hed Guest

    He meant to swap out the ram with known good pc100 or pc133 that is known to work on
    old motherboards.
    I don't think they made EDO that went to 100mhz. I wouldn't bet too much on it
    though... say no more than a coffee, or two coffees if the waitress is cute.

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 04:45:21 GMT, "Terry" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Nov 8, 2003
  9. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Ok, so I had to lie, I actually upgraded from a 333MHz CPU. See why that
    Ford Pinto guy was joking? But it still was a 266 way back. Is it possible
    that the PII 333 could use a 66MHz bus? cuz the store that sold me the PC
    said it uses PC100 RAM now that I think of it.

    Terry

    Terry, Nov 8, 2003
  10. Terry

    GHalleck Guest

    Terry wrote:

    > Ok, so I had to lie, I actually upgraded from a 333MHz CPU. See why that
    > Ford Pinto guy was joking? But it still was a 266 way back. Is it possible
    > that the PII 333 could use a 66MHz bus? cuz the store that sold me the PC
    > said it uses PC100 RAM now that I think of it.
    >
    > Terry

    The BX chipset can support either PC-66 or PC-100 memory. However,
    there is no reason to install PC-100 memory with either a 266 MHz or a
    333 MHz CPU. And PC-100 memory would have not been installed unless
    its extra cost had been paid for...did you?

    GHalleck, Nov 8, 2003
  11. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Right now I have the PII 450 CPU in there so I need the PC100 RAM now as
    that first guy said right? 350 and higher CPUs need the PC100 RAM yes?

    Terry

    Terry, Nov 8, 2003
  12. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Don't I need to backup the registry when I reinstall Windows? There's no
    point in saving the program files folder if the registry isn't backed up?

    Terry, Nov 8, 2003
  13. Terry

    Terry Guest

    I still need help. Could somebody please answer this? Do 350MHz CPUs and
    higher really need the PC100 RAM?

    Terry

    Terry, Nov 8, 2003
  14. Terry

    Shel-hed Guest

    Yes, absolutely. That is what alexandrew's first response was all about. It was my
    first guess too. Note that it applies to PIIs, not Celerons. Celerons use(d) a 66mhz
    bus until 800mhz, then they changed to 100mhz.

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:01:55 GMT, "Terry" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Nov 8, 2003
  15. Terry

    docmill Guest

    "Terry" <> wrote in

    > Don't I need to backup the registry when I reinstall Windows? There's no
    > point in saving the program files folder if the registry isn't backed up?

    No, you don't need a backup. Might be wise, but this isn't going that way.
    The registry isn't going to forget what you have installed. This is just
    about as ///// **** It/// If you Reformat and Reinstall you are starting
    over. If you install over the existing setup, your registry and setup will
    not change, thus the need to preserve the program folder.

    docmill, Nov 11, 2003