    is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case ventilation
    by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
    thoughts on this?????????

    10_4, Nov 13, 2004

  2. 10_4

    Treb Guest

    "10_4" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
    > Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led
    > believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
    > side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
    > around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
    > check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
    > temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures.
    > Lower
    > is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case
    > ventilation
    > by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
    > thoughts on this?????????

    There are some new slick cases with three and four fans, some on the side.

    They seem to dissipate the heat really well. Not too bad looking either. I
    saw a black one with heaps of lights and tricked out main door.

    Treb

    Treb, Nov 13, 2004

  3. 10_4

    PJB Guest

    "10_4" <> wrote in message
    > I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
    > Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led

    > believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
    > side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
    > around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
    > check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
    > temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures.

    Lower
    > is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case

    ventilation
    > by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
    > thoughts on this?????????

    My p4/2.8 is currently at around the 110 mark, which is roughly 44 C, but
    it's barely under load. If I run SetiAtHome for instance, it climbs to
    around 63 C (140+ F), so I wouldn't worry too much ;-)
    Are you using a standard type heatsink & fan? I used to have a Zalman Flower
    cooler on my AMD 1900, that cooled it down from around 60 C to 45 C, might
    be worth looking at, if the temps are bothering you.

    P.

    PJB, Nov 13, 2004
  4. 10_4

    lugnut Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:47:49 -0500, "10_4" <>
    wrote:

    >I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
    >Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led to
    >believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
    >side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
    >around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
    >check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
    >temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures. Lower
    >is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case ventilation
    >by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
    >thoughts on this?????????

    I have the Athlon XP2600. It usually runs in the upper
    130's F. AMD seems to think this is OK since they can run
    quite a bit warmer without harm. It runs about the same
    idle or full load which means it is constant which is good.
    I have a pair of 250GB drives that report around 118F and
    run for weeks without being shut down for any reason. I
    have had problems with heat in the case where extra fans
    were installed only to have it run hotter. When I checked,
    the fans were all blowing into the case. If that is the
    arrangement, there needs to be good exhaust ventilation. In
    my machine, I simply turned one of the case fans around to
    boost crossflow ventilation - problem solved.

    lugnut, Nov 13, 2004
  5. 10_4

    Alan Guest

    "lugnut" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:47:49 -0500, "10_4" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
    >>Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led
    >>believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
    >>side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
    >>around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
    >>check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
    >>temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures.
    >>Lower
    >>is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case
    >>ventilation
    >>by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
    >>thoughts on this?????????
    >>

    > I have the Athlon XP2600. It usually runs in the upper
    > 130's F. AMD seems to think this is OK since they can run
    > quite a bit warmer without harm. It runs about the same
    > idle or full load which means it is constant which is good.
    > I have a pair of 250GB drives that report around 118F and
    > run for weeks without being shut down for any reason. I
    > have had problems with heat in the case where extra fans
    > were installed only to have it run hotter. When I checked,
    > the fans were all blowing into the case. If that is the
    > arrangement, there needs to be good exhaust ventilation. In
    > my machine, I simply turned one of the case fans around to
    > boost crossflow ventilation - problem solved.

    I had this problem. I bought a heavy duty heatsink and made sure that there
    was plenty of thermal grease on the CPU core. Now I panic if the heat gets
    to 45C !

    Alan, Nov 13, 2004
  6. 10_4

    10_4 Guest

    "10_4" <> wrote in message
    > I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
    > Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led

    > believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
    > side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
    > around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
    > check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
    > temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures.

    Lower
    > is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case

    ventilation
    > by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
    > thoughts on this?????????

    I appreciate the feedback!
    I have the fans blowing in the right direction (outwards) and the heatsink
    and fan are of high quality rated for a faster CPU than I am running. All
    is well with this unit I was just wandering about all the things I read and
    all the classes I took stating the case needed to be closed so the fans
    could properly remove the heat. I agree with that but saw the much lower
    hear temps with the case cover removed. Always willing to listen to good
    advice!

    Thanks again,
    Roger

    10_4, Nov 13, 2004
  7. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
    13 Nov 2004 01:47:49 -0500, "10_4" <> screamed from
    behind the mulberry bush:

    >I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
    >Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led to
    >believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
    >side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
    >around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
    >check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
    >temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures. Lower
    >is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case ventilation
    >by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
    >thoughts on this?????????

    A lot of uber geeks never put the cover on their PC because they're
    never through messing with it. As long as you don't have small
    children and even smaller household pets, I don't see the harm in
    leaving it open.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 13, 2004
  8. 10_4

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Alan mused:

    | I had this problem. I bought a heavy duty heatsink and made sure that
    | there was plenty of thermal grease on the CPU core. Now I panic if the
    | heat gets to 45C !

    A smaller amount of thermal compound is better than too much. Check out
    Arctic Silver's site for images of the proper amount to use.

    mhicaoidh, Nov 15, 2004
  9. 10_4

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, 10_4 mused:

    | I have the fans blowing in the right direction (outwards) and the heatsink
    | and fan are of high quality rated for a faster CPU than I am running.

    Do you have any fans pulling air into the case ... preferably in the
    lower front? Also, your reported temperatures are will within spec, so I
    really wouldn't worry.

    mhicaoidh, Nov 15, 2004