    the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
    (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
    idle. Has anyone struck this before?

    Nighthawk, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Nighthawk

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    > K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    > 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    > the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
    > was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
    > so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
    > up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
    > the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >
    > Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    > and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
    > the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
    > (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
    > idle. Has anyone struck this before?

    Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?

    p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

    Craig Sutton, Jun 12, 2007

  3. Nighthawk

    Ross Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:20:40 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    >> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    >> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    >> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    >> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
    >> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
    >> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
    >> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
    >> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >>
    >> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    >> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
    >> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
    >> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
    >> idle. Has anyone struck this before?
    >>

    >Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?
    >
    >p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

    AMD? Many of them can handle up to 85 deg C can't they?

    Ross, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Nighthawk

    Allistar Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:

    > My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    > K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    > 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    > the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
    > was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
    > so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
    > up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
    > the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >
    > Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    > and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
    > the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
    > (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
    > idle. Has anyone struck this before?

    Does the heatsink itself feel that hot? That's hot enough to hurt if leaving
    your finger on it for a few seconds.

    If those temps are correct (and it's not a hardware/firmware/software
    fault), I'd suggest either the thermal paste has been incorrectly applied
    (Assuming nothing really silly like the CPU cooling fan isn't spinning, but
    I wouldn't insult you with that suggestion).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 12, 2007
  5. Nighthawk

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:20:40 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    >> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    >> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    >> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    >> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there was
    >> an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink so
    >> there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it up
    >> and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in the
    >> CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >>
    >> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    >> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With the
    >> old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures (freezing
    >> cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97% idle. Has
    >> anyone struck this before?
    >>

    > Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?
    >
    > p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

    He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the cold.

    Gordon, Jun 12, 2007
  6. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:20:40 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >> p.s how can you live in a room thats 8[°]c?

    > He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the cold.

    8°C is probably outside the rated operating conditions for the PC. It may
    not be extreme enough to cause permanent harm, but I'd be surprised if it
    worked properly if switched on after being left, say, overnight in those
    conditions.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 12, 2007
  7. Nighthawk

    El Chippy Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:02:22 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >> He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the
    >> cold.

    > 8°C is probably outside the rated operating conditions for the PC. It
    > may not be extreme enough to cause permanent harm, but I'd be surprised
    > if it worked properly if switched on after being left, say, overnight in
    > those conditions.

    So long as it stays dry, the low temp wont be a problem. Electronic
    components like the cold.. except batteries and some electrolytics that
    is. So long as condensation is prevented and it will be all good. Hard
    drives are specified down to 0C operating, and -40C non-operational.

    El Chippy, Jun 12, 2007
  8. In message <466e7357$>, El Chippy wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:02:22 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Gordon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the
    >>> cold.

    >> 8°C is probably outside the rated operating conditions for the PC. It
    >> may not be extreme enough to cause permanent harm, but I'd be surprised
    >> if it worked properly if switched on after being left, say, overnight in
    >> those conditions.

    > So long as it stays dry, the low temp wont be a problem. Electronic
    > components like the cold.. except batteries and some electrolytics that
    > is.

    No they don't. I remember years ago, I got one of the first Mac II machines
    in the country (yes, _that_ long ago). My office was in a building that was
    supposed to be "temporary" when it was built ... 20 years earlier. I came
    in one winter morning and the floppy drive wouldn't work. Later in the day,
    after my office had warmed up a bit, it was working fine.

    Oh, and that was a Waikato winter, not quite subzero temperatures (at least,
    not very often).

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 12, 2007
  9. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    >> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    >> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    >> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    >> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
    >> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
    >> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
    >> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
    >> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >>
    >> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    >> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
    >> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
    >> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
    >> idle. Has anyone struck this before?
    >>

    >Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?

    I have updated it to the latest BIOS.

    >p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

    Picture an eskimo. Other friends survive winter like that. Damn
    concrete construction nearly impossible to heat.

    Nighthawk, Jun 12, 2007
  10. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:11:31 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Nighthawk wrote:
    >
    >> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    >> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    >> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    >> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
    >> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
    >> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
    >> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
    >> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >>
    >> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    >> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
    >> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
    >> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
    >> idle. Has anyone struck this before?

    >Does the heatsink itself feel that hot? That's hot enough to hurt if leaving
    >your finger on it for a few seconds.

    I can feel warmth in the chipset heatsink, which is 22ºC but nothing
    noticeable in the large Zalman (cnps7000alcu-b1) heatsink on the CPU,
    an AMD XP2400+, .13 micron. I have removed the heatsink and redone
    the thermal paste, as noted above, so that isn't a problem and the fan
    is fine. I suspect the sensor itself must be broken.

    I did a large image backup of C: drive today and the temp of the CPU,
    while running near to full capacity for 5min switched between 61 and
    62. There have been no signs of stress at all, no lockups, etc.

    On the old mobo, under full load, even in warm weather it never
    reached 50ºC so I suspect a broken sensor.

    Nighthawk, Jun 12, 2007
  11. Nighthawk

    thingy Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    > K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    > 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    > the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
    > was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
    > so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
    > up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
    > the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >
    > Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    > and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
    > the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
    > (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
    > idle. Has anyone struck this before?

    I once got a batch of Asus motherboards that said 130Deg C.....a BIOS
    flash fixed it....start there....

    Running higher voltages will cause a higher temp, it is possible that
    faulty capacitors can cause this, check none are bloated or leaking...

    Try and back off that voltage and see if the temp drops...with a decent
    zalman though 61C should be fine....90C would be a big worry...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 12, 2007
  12. Nighthawk

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <466e7357$>, El Chippy wrote:

    >>> 8°C is probably outside the rated operating conditions for the PC. It
    >>> may not be extreme enough to cause permanent harm, but I'd be surprised
    >>> if it worked properly if switched on after being left, say, overnight in
    >>> those conditions.

    >> So long as it stays dry, the low temp wont be a problem. Electronic
    >> components like the cold.. except batteries and some electrolytics that
    >> is.

    > No they don't. I remember years ago, I got one of the first Mac II machines
    > in the country (yes, _that_ long ago). My office was in a building that was
    > supposed to be "temporary" when it was built ... 20 years earlier. I came
    > in one winter morning and the floppy drive wouldn't work. Later in the day,
    > after my office had warmed up a bit, it was working fine.
    >
    > Oh, and that was a Waikato winter, not quite subzero temperatures (at least,
    > not very often).

    A floppy drive is mostly mechanical, not electronic. Variation in
    temperature can cause the heads to shift slightly, and this probably
    caused it not to be able to read. Electronic components like cold just
    fine. Who uses a floppy drive today anyway, that isn'[t really a
    problem any more.

    Jerry, Jun 12, 2007
  13. Nighthawk

    jack Guest

    On 12 Jun 2007 09:37:10 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:20:40 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >> "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    >>> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    >>> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    >>> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    >>> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there was
    >>> an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink so
    >>> there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it up
    >>> and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in the
    >>> CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >>>
    >>> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    >>> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With the
    >>> old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures (freezing
    >>> cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97% idle. Has
    >>> anyone struck this before?
    >>>

    >> Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?
    >>
    >> p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

    >He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the cold.

    You do need to replace the thermal past if you remove the heat sink..

    And set the vcore to 1.65v

    jack, Jun 12, 2007
  14. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:13:17 +1200, jack
    <> wrote:

    >On 12 Jun 2007 09:37:10 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:20:40 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message

    >>> Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?
    >>>
    >>> p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

    >>He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the cold.

    >You do need to replace the thermal past if you remove the heat sink..

    I did, with Arctic Ceramique.

    >And set the vcore to 1.65v

    It is at 1.71v. I doubt that that tiny increase could account for the
    large heat difference from the normal 28ºC I would normally get in
    these cold conditions.

    Nighthawk, Jun 13, 2007
  15. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:40:35 +1200, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >Nighthawk wrote:
    >> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    >> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    >> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    >> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
    >> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
    >> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
    >> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
    >> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >>
    >> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    >> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
    >> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
    >> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
    >> idle. Has anyone struck this before?
    >>

    >I once got a batch of Asus motherboards that said 130Deg C.....a BIOS
    >flash fixed it....start there....
    >
    >Running higher voltages will cause a higher temp, it is possible that
    >faulty capacitors can cause this, check none are bloated or leaking...
    >
    >Try and back off that voltage and see if the temp drops...with a decent
    >zalman though 61C should be fine....90C would be a big worry...
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    I did flash it to the latest BIOS, but that was before I ran SpeedFan
    on this mobo for the first time, so I don't know what it was before.
    I flashed the BIOS as the latest version of firmware gave it the
    ability to detect bootable USB devices.

    I went over the mobo with a fine tooth comb before I installed it, as
    it was similar to the previous board but there was nothing wrong
    anywhere and I did pay attention to capacitors.

    I doubt that the tiny difference in voltage, could cause such a huge
    apparent increase on temperature. I wouldn't know how to adjust the
    voltage anyway. Is that in the BIOS? The FSB and CPU speed are
    correct.

    I doubt that this XP2400+ CPU would hit 61ºC under load even on a hot
    day, normally, with that heatsink, so I am going with my belief that
    it is a faulty sensor, somehow. I did ramp up the fan speed but that
    made no difference. I will keep an eye out for another BIOS upgrade.
    Perhaps I will e-mail Asrock.

    When I switched off last night I immediately put my finger as close to
    the base of the heatsink as I could but there was still little
    detectable heat and today when booting up I immediately started
    SpeedFan and that reported 61º.

    Nighthawk, Jun 13, 2007
  16. Nighthawk

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "jack" <> wrote in message
    > On 12 Jun 2007 09:37:10 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:20:40 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message

    >>> Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?
    >>>
    >>> p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

    >>He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the cold.

    I've heard of weird motherboard temps being reported. The fault is the
    floppy conector on the wrong way. Worth a check just in case..

    Craig Sutton, Jun 13, 2007
  17. In message <>, Jerry wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> So long as it stays dry, the low temp wont be a problem. Electronic
    >>> components like the cold.. except batteries and some electrolytics that
    >>> is.

    >> No they don't. I remember years ago, I got one of the first Mac II
    >> machines in the country (yes, _that_ long ago). My office was in a
    >> building that was supposed to be "temporary" when it was built ... 20
    >> years earlier. I came in one winter morning and the floppy drive wouldn't
    >> work. Later in the day, after my office had warmed up a bit, it was
    >> working fine.
    >>
    >> Oh, and that was a Waikato winter, not quite subzero temperatures (at
    >> least, not very often).

    > A floppy drive is mostly mechanical, not electronic. Variation in
    > temperature can cause the heads to shift slightly, and this probably
    > caused it not to be able to read.

    A hard drive is even more exquisitely mechanical. And so is an optical
    drive.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 13, 2007
  18. Nighthawk

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> No they don't. I remember years ago, I got one of the first Mac II
    >>> machines in the country (yes, _that_ long ago). My office was in a
    >>> building that was supposed to be "temporary" when it was built ... 20
    >>> years earlier. I came in one winter morning and the floppy drive wouldn't
    >>> work. Later in the day, after my office had warmed up a bit, it was
    >>> working fine.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and that was a Waikato winter, not quite subzero temperatures (at
    >>> least, not very often).

    >> A floppy drive is mostly mechanical, not electronic. Variation in
    >> temperature can cause the heads to shift slightly, and this probably
    >> caused it not to be able to read.

    > A hard drive is even more exquisitely mechanical. And so is an optical
    > drive.

    Since about 1970 hard drives have utilised track following servos, so
    position of the heads is not affected by changes in temperature.
    Optical drives do the same, but floppys simply detent and read what
    happens to be under the head. They are affected by temperature and
    compatability between drives. What was the failure of your floppy
    drive, wouldn't it read?

    Jerry, Jun 13, 2007
  19. Nighthawk

    El Chippy Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:15:02 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> In message <466e7357$>, El Chippy wrote:

    >>> Oh, and that was a Waikato winter, not quite subzero temperatures (at
    >>> least, not very often).

    >> A floppy drive is mostly mechanical, not electronic. Variation in
    >> temperature can cause the heads to shift slightly, and this probably
    >> caused it not to be able to read.

    > A hard drive is even more exquisitely mechanical. And so is an optical
    > drive.

    And yet as i stated seagate hard drives are rated to 0C.. something to
    do with the superior technology of voice coils over stepper motors more
    than likely. and once the PC is fired up the optical drive will probaby
    "defrost" itself in a few minutes.

    El Chippy, Jun 13, 2007
  20. Nighthawk

    frederick Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:40:35 +1200, thingy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Nighthawk wrote:
    >>> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
    >>> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
    >>> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
    >>> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
    >>> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
    >>> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
    >>> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
    >>> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
    >>>
    >>> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
    >>> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
    >>> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
    >>> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
    >>> idle. Has anyone struck this before?
    >>>

    >> I once got a batch of Asus motherboards that said 130Deg C.....a BIOS
    >> flash fixed it....start there....
    >>
    >> Running higher voltages will cause a higher temp, it is possible that
    >> faulty capacitors can cause this, check none are bloated or leaking...
    >>
    >> Try and back off that voltage and see if the temp drops...with a decent
    >> zalman though 61C should be fine....90C would be a big worry...
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > I did flash it to the latest BIOS, but that was before I ran SpeedFan
    > on this mobo for the first time, so I don't know what it was before.
    > I flashed the BIOS as the latest version of firmware gave it the
    > ability to detect bootable USB devices.
    >
    > I went over the mobo with a fine tooth comb before I installed it, as
    > it was similar to the previous board but there was nothing wrong
    > anywhere and I did pay attention to capacitors.
    >
    > I doubt that the tiny difference in voltage, could cause such a huge
    > apparent increase on temperature. I wouldn't know how to adjust the
    > voltage anyway. Is that in the BIOS? The FSB and CPU speed are
    > correct.
    >
    > I doubt that this XP2400+ CPU would hit 61ºC under load even on a hot
    > day, normally, with that heatsink, so I am going with my belief that
    > it is a faulty sensor, somehow. I did ramp up the fan speed but that
    > made no difference. I will keep an eye out for another BIOS upgrade.
    > Perhaps I will e-mail Asrock.
    >
    > When I switched off last night I immediately put my finger as close to
    > the base of the heatsink as I could but there was still little
    > detectable heat and today when booting up I immediately started
    > SpeedFan and that reported 61º.

    I've got a machine here with an Athlon 2400+ CPU (Gigabyte M/B)
    At idle in a cool room, CPU temp is reported as ~50 deg.
    Under "normal" heavy load it goes up to ~55 deg. I'm sure that with a
    little effort, I could heat it up way beyond that.
    This one has some after-market over-clocker's fancy heat sink and large
    fan (but is running at normal specs). Don't ask me what brand it is,
    but it is big, isn't standard, is 100% copper, and came with the (used) CPU.
    It wouldn't surprise me if up to ~60c is reasonably normal under
    moderate load for an Athlon 2400 CPU with standard heat sink and fan.

    frederick, Jun 13, 2007