    How hot can they run before they start causing problems?

    Thanks

    Ken

    BaldEagle, Aug 5, 2003

  2. BaldEagle

    Ben Guest

    "BaldEagle" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a Duron 1.3 GHz which is doing all kinds of flakey things. I
    > checked the CPU Temp and the system is at 46 deg celcius and the cpu
    > is at 70.
    >
    > How hot can they run before they start causing problems?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ken

    AMD state that the highest operating temerature (on die) is 90 C. However,
    the cpu temp measurement you have recorded will be a bios reading? -up to
    30C lower than on die readings. Your on die temp may therefore exceed 100C!
    An average stable system seems to run the chip at around 40-50 deg C (bios
    reading). Thus your system is running at least 20deg C above average. I
    assume therefore that this is indeed the cause of sporadic problems. Better
    case ventilation is the answer, tidy wires, install at least one internal
    fan etc...

    Hope this helps.

    Ben, Aug 6, 2003