CPU Temp?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by spy, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. spy

    spy Guest

    Hello all,
    Just built my first computer and must say it went easier then
    I thought, only 5 hrs. to complete it. I do have one question about
    my Heat sink setup.

    Here is my system specs:

    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton", 400 FSB, 512K

    Vantec "Copper X" Copper CPU Cooler for Socket A/ 370, Model
    "CCK-6040"

    Soyo KT-600 Motherboard

    At startup the CPU diode is running at 46 and climbs to 56-59 under
    heavy load. The CPU itself runs at 27 - 37. Is this an OK operating
    temp or should I invest in a better Heat sink. Max CPU diode temp is
    85, so I'm running under the max.

    TIA,
    Steve

    spy, Apr 13, 2004

  2. spy

    Michael-NC Guest

    I wouldn't worry about that at all.

    Michael-NC, Apr 13, 2004

  3. spy

    spy Guest

    Thanks, Michael! Just wanted some re-insurance that it was running
    at a stable temperature. Being new to building computers I was not
    sure of acceptable temperatures.

    spy, Apr 13, 2004
  4. spy

    Michael-NC Guest

    You're no where near the max temp and generally, if you have no heat-related
    lock-ups, you have no heat problem.

    Michael-NC, Apr 13, 2004
  5. spy

    JD Guest

    your temp can be lowered with artic silver (thermal compound)

    JD, Apr 13, 2004
  6. spy

    Plato Guest

    JD wrote:

    > your temp can be lowered with artic silver (thermal compound)

    Only with proper ventilation of the case. If you keep your PC in an
    enclosed PC desk that has a closed back it wont help. If it has an
    enclosed back you really have to keep the front door open if it has one.
    I often have appointments at homes where the customer has one of those
    PC desks and the PC is totally enclosed in a cabinet. Not good. A PC
    _has_ to be properly ventilated.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 13, 2004
  7. spy

    Plato Guest

    spy wrote:

    > At startup the CPU diode is running at 46 and climbs to 56-59 under
    > heavy load. The CPU itself runs at 27 - 37. Is this an OK operating
    > temp or should I invest in a better Heat sink. Max CPU diode temp is
    > 85, so I'm running under the max.

    Generally, if your AMD cpu is at 50C or less during idle, it means your
    heat sink/fan is working OK. 50C is 122F. You can most likely decrease
    that by installing a second case fan on the front bottom of your PC set
    to suck air in. In other words, just installing
    a "better" heatsink may not decrease the temps if you dont have the
    airfow over the heatsink fins to take make it work as designed.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 13, 2004
  8. spy

    spy Guest

    On 13 Apr 2004 10:47:12 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >spy wrote:
    >>
    >> At startup the CPU diode is running at 46 and climbs to 56-59 under
    >> heavy load. The CPU itself runs at 27 - 37. Is this an OK operating
    >> temp or should I invest in a better Heat sink. Max CPU diode temp is
    >> 85, so I'm running under the max.

    >Generally, if your AMD cpu is at 50C or less during idle, it means your
    >heat sink/fan is working OK. 50C is 122F. You can most likely decrease
    >that by installing a second case fan on the front bottom of your PC set
    >to suck air in. In other words, just installing
    >a "better" heatsink may not decrease the temps if you dont have the
    >airfow over the heatsink fins to take make it work as designed.

    Right now I have 3 fans sucking air in 1 (80mm) in the front, 1 (80mm)
    on the right and 1 (90mm) on the left side, the back has 1 (80mm)
    blowing out and the power supply fan (120mm) also blows out. I removed
    the heat sink and replaced the thermal compound with Arctic Silver,
    originally the CPU diode was starting out at 66C. The change brought
    it down to 46C and idles at 50C. The system is in a desk and I
    usually keep the front door open, the back is open in the lower half.
    I've been thinking about cutting a vent hole on each side to help
    airflow.

    spy, Apr 13, 2004
  9. spy

    Spajky Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:37:33 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:

    > AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton", 400 FSB, 512K
    >
    >Vantec "Copper X" Copper CPU Cooler for Socket A/ 370, Model
    >"CCK-6040"
    >
    >Soyo KT-600 Motherboard
    >
    >At startup the CPU diode is running at 46 and climbs to 56-59 under
    >heavy load. The CPU itself runs at 27 - 37. Is this an OK operating
    >temp or should I invest in a better Heat sink.

    ... your temps are TL normal .. !

    --
    Happy Easter & Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##