CPU temp?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Michael Tyler, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Can anyone tell me the temperature range for 1.3 G Athlon chip. mine runs
    at 63C, which I think is too hot
    Michael Tyler, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Too hot. Should be around 43.

    BananaPannaPoe, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Michael Tyler

    CJ Guest

    Hi,

    my 1 G Athlon is @ 57°C and runs without a problem so 63°C sounds OK to me for yours. As
    long as your PC runs OK and doesn't hang or crash more than expected then I wouldn't
    worry. Remember also that we are going through a heat-wave so your "cold" air to be blown
    over the chip is a lot warmer than it would be in winter.

    Are you having any particular problems or does it just seem too hot? Remember it is
    designed to run at an elevated temp. My alarm threshold on my set-up is 82°C so 63°C is
    rather cold!!

    CJ

    CJ, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Michael Tyler

    °Mike° Guest

    Seems to be a bit hot, to me. Clean out the inside of
    your box with a can of compressed air. Check that all
    fans are working optimally - replace if necessary.
    Apply some Arctic Silver Céramique to the CPU.
    http://www.casecooler.com/casecooler/cebyarsi.html

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:39:30 +0100, in
    <>
    Michael Tyler scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2003
  5. Michael Tyler

    CJ Guest

    Hi,

    where do you get this 43 figure from?

    CJ

    CJ, Jul 20, 2003
  6. Too hot! Try this cooler:

    http://www.outletpc.com/c1921.html
    http://www.american-media.com/support/microfin_tech.html
    http://www.hampton-technologies.com/Microfin.htm

    This IS a cheaper($18US) heatsink and fan but was the only one, besides
    the more expensive copper ones, that cooled a 1.1 ghz Athlon chip for a PC
    that I had built. Before using this cooler the chip was 50°C, which is
    too hot. With the MicroFin, it is now 41°C. I would think you could find
    one like this in the UK.

    This PC now SCREAMS!!!!!!!!...;o)

    "Michael Tyler" <> chiseled in stone, the
    following words news::

    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, Jul 20, 2003
  7. CJ wrote:

    > my 1 G Athlon is @ 57°C and runs without a problem so 63°C sounds OK to me for yours. As
    > long as your PC runs OK and doesn't hang or crash more than expected then I wouldn't
    > worry. Remember also that we are going through a heat-wave so your "cold" air to be blown
    > over the chip is a lot warmer than it would be in winter.

    Another datapoint, similar CPU:

    1.1-gig Athlon
    Ambient temp: 30degC
    CPU: 33degC

    Hardware: all-copper heatsink, 7700rpm fan
    std PS fan, blows out
    80mm front case fan, blows out
    120mm blow-hole fan in tower side, over CPU area, blows in

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    Spam: The Boulder Pledge http://snurl.com/bpledge
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 20, 2003
  8. Michael Tyler wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me the temperature range for 1.3 G Athlon chip. mine runs
    > at 63C, which I think is too hot

    Unless you're working it out hard, that seems high. See my other post,
    this thread, for datapoint on my roughly comparable chip. (Granted,
    since you don't state anything about your cooling hardware, you're
    probably running whatever came with your system (or CPU if you build)).

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 20, 2003
  9. Michael Tyler

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2003
  10. @}-}-------Rosee, Jul 20, 2003
  11. Michael Tyler

    °Mike° Guest

    I'm fine, thanks. You?

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:40:34 -0500, in
    <Xns93BE9FA1F14BCroseeneener@206.127.4.10>
    @}-}-------Rosee scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2003
  12. Michael Tyler

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as @}-}-------Rosee continued:

    > Trying to survive this unGodly heat with about 150% humidity...but
    > other than that one little detail...great!

    Hi Rosee

    Butting in, as usual, but just wondered how humidity is measured to 150% ?
    Doesn't that sort of moisture require breathing aparatus like an aqualung ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Jul 20, 2003
  13. Michael Tyler

    °Mike° Guest

    We've had uncharacteristically warm weather here, too. Though
    nowhere near your temperatures and humidity, it does feel
    oppressively warm and sticky. We can actually say we've had
    some sort of summer this year in the UK.

    They're still cleaning up after the mutant's disgusting trail
    of stench. ;o)

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:01:41 -0500, in
    <Xns93BEA3361DF05roseeneener@206.127.4.10>
    @}-}-------Rosee scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2003
  14. Michael Tyler

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:11:28 -0500, @}-}-------Rosee wrote:

    >You're welcome....;o)
    >
    >But I would change the heatsink also and I also hope you scraped off that
    >nasty stuff that comes with the heatsink and pretends to be thermal
    >grease...'cuz it just doesn't do the job. As °Mike° has advised, get some
    >Artic Silver.

    Or Arctic Silver 3.

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_compounds.htm

    "Welcome back, my friend. :)"

    --
    There is a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.
    --Edmund Burke
    Mara, Jul 20, 2003
  15. I'll bet the English summer is quite different than here. It would be
    nice not to have such an oppressive heat. Too bad the mutant's stench has
    permeated the entire area....;o/

    It may take them months to alleviate the smell. Good luck..heh, you'll
    need it. If he ever comes this way, I'll build an underground
    shelter...;o)

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, Jul 20, 2003
  16. Michael Tyler

    °Mike° Guest

    You can bet your last dime on it... :)

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:39:03 -0500, in
    <Xns93BEA98BC7CD7roseeneener@206.127.4.10>
    @}-}-------Rosee scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2003
  17. And that's about all I have until I am paid for that computer....;o)

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, Jul 20, 2003
  18. I doubt it...;o)

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, Jul 21, 2003
  19. Thanks William....;o) I didn't realize I had been gone so long, but it's
    great to be back in the swing....;oD

    William Poaster <> chiseled in stone, the following
    words news::

    > This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Sun, 20 Jul 2003
    > 13:13:58 -0500, @}-}-------Rosee uttered this:

    > Hello Rosee! Nice to see you back. :)

    >>Too hot! Try this cooler:

    <schnippen>

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, Jul 21, 2003
  20. > Can anyone tell me the temperature range for 1.3 G Athlon chip. mine runs
    > at 63C, which I think is too hot

    My Athlon also runs at this temperature. I used to have another CPU fan
    that brought the temperature down about 10 degrees, but I couldn't stand
    the noise that it was making.
    Alexander Rogge, Jul 21, 2003