    high !!

    Any suggestions !!

    Loupole
    Loupole, May 18, 2005

  2. Loupole

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:42:56 +1200, Loupole wrote:

    > I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just wondering
    > about the temps !!
    >
    > When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress at
    > full load at idle it was low 30's
    >
    > Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!

    Is that after you overclocked it?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 18, 2005

  3. Loupole

    Loupole Guest

    Yes it is !! I have no idea how it jumped from 55 to 70-72 its at 70 now !!

    Loupole, May 18, 2005
  4. Loupole

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:59:57 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:42:56 +1200, Loupole wrote:
    >
    >> I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just wondering
    >> about the temps !!
    >>
    >> When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress at
    >> full load at idle it was low 30's
    >>
    >> Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!

    > Is that after you overclocked it?

    heh.. I just assumed the OP was bragging

    Shane, May 18, 2005
  5. Loupole wrote:
    > I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just wondering
    > about the temps !!
    >
    > When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress at full
    > load at idle it was low 30's
    >
    > Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!

    Hey, my 1.53ghz Athlon XP runs 68 degrees at full load. And 63 degrees
    at idle. No problems here despite the crappy cooler :). A temperature of
    70 degrees isn't really a big deal.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, May 18, 2005
  6. Loupole

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Loupole wrote:
    >> I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just
    >> wondering about the temps !!
    >>
    >> When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress
    >> at full load at idle it was low 30's
    >>
    >> Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!

    > Hey, my 1.53ghz Athlon XP runs 68 degrees at full load. And 63 degrees
    > at idle. No problems here despite the crappy cooler :). A temperature
    > of 70 degrees isn't really a big deal.

    Is that an XP1800+? I have a T'bred B variant of that CPU and it's been
    running rock-solid at 2Ghz in summer and 2.1Ghz in winter on a 200Mhz
    (DDR400) FSB for ages now. It's in an nVidia nForce2 mobo and runs with the
    CPU at 100% load all the time.

    At that speed, using the factory cooler, albeit with an 80mm case-fan
    directly above it with a tapered duct (plastic glass cut down and hot-glued)
    it never gets to 60°C at all. not even close usually. In summer at 2.1Ghz it
    hits 60°, hence the drop to 2Ghz.

    Great CPU. However, that said, 70° core temps are usually fine IME. As long
    as it's core temp that's being measured and it's calibrated correctly. 70°
    socket temp can equal 90° die temp.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 18, 2005
  7. Loupole

    phstpok Guest

    phstpok, May 18, 2005
  8. Loupole

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 22:14:20 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Loupole wrote:
    >>> I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just
    >>> wondering about the temps !!
    >>>
    >>> When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress
    >>> at full load at idle it was low 30's
    >>>
    >>> Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!

    >> Hey, my 1.53ghz Athlon XP runs 68 degrees at full load. And 63 degrees
    >> at idle. No problems here despite the crappy cooler :). A temperature
    >> of 70 degrees isn't really a big deal.

    >Is that an XP1800+? I have a T'bred B variant of that CPU and it's been
    >running rock-solid at 2Ghz in summer and 2.1Ghz in winter on a 200Mhz
    >(DDR400) FSB for ages now. It's in an nVidia nForce2 mobo and runs with the
    >CPU at 100% load all the time.
    >
    >At that speed, using the factory cooler, albeit with an 80mm case-fan
    >directly above it with a tapered duct (plastic glass cut down and hot-glued)
    >it never gets to 60°C at all. not even close usually. In summer at 2.1Ghz it
    >hits 60°, hence the drop to 2Ghz.
    >
    >Great CPU. However, that said, 70° core temps are usually fine IME. As long
    >as it's core temp that's being measured and it's calibrated correctly. 70°
    >socket temp can equal 90° die temp.

    With my big Zalman 92mm cooler I don't think I have seen my XP2400 go
    over 42° under load. Sitting at 28° at the moment, though it is like
    an icebox in here.
    GraB, May 18, 2005
  9. Loupole

    Loupole Guest

    Sweet I leave it then !!

    Loupole, May 18, 2005
  10. Loupole wrote:
    > I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just wondering
    > about the temps !!
    > When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress at full
    > load at idle it was low 30's

    > Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!

    > My cooling is a water cooler !! I can't understand why the temps would go so
    > high !!

    please re-read what you wrote.
    I'll paraphrase it for you.

    It was fine when you got it, it's now overclocked, it's now hot.

    It seemspretty clear to me.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 18, 2005
  11. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!

    > Hey, my 1.53ghz Athlon XP runs 68 degrees at full load. And 63 degrees
    > at idle. No problems here despite the crappy cooler :). A temperature of
    > 70 degrees isn't really a big deal.

    70 is the thermal cut-out for most older P4s, not sure about the new breed.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 18, 2005
  12. Loupole

    Impossible Guest

    "Loupole" <> wrote in message
    >I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just
    >wondering about the temps !!
    >
    > When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress
    > at full load at idle it was low 30's
    >
    > Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!
    >
    > My cooling is a water cooler !! I can't understand why the temps
    > would go so high !!
    >
    > Any suggestions !!

    72 degrees C is the outer limit of the P4 3.8 Ghz thermal model at
    full load. Which means you have no margin for error in your current
    system. If the temp regularly rose above that level, it would
    certainly shorten the cpu's lifespan.

    I'd strongly suggest you not overclock. But assuming you're going to
    anyway -- What thermal compound are you using between the cpu and the
    heatsink? A silver-oxide based product like Arctic Silver is highly
    recommended. Also, consider the case air flow -- a case ambient temp
    of 38 degrees C or less is what you need to meeet Intel's specs.
    Impossible, May 18, 2005
  13. Loupole

    Andrew Guest

    Loupole wrote:
    > I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just wondering
    > about the temps !!
    >
    > When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress at full
    > load at idle it was low 30's
    >
    > Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!
    >
    > My cooling is a water cooler !! I can't understand why the temps would go so
    > high !!
    >
    > Any suggestions !!
    >
    > Loupole

    Your kidding right?
    Andrew, May 18, 2005
  14. Loupole

    Andrew Guest

    Loupole wrote:
    > I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just wondering
    > about the temps !!
    >
    > When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress at full
    > load at idle it was low 30's
    >
    > Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!
    >
    > My cooling is a water cooler !! I can't understand why the temps would go so
    > high !!
    >
    > Any suggestions !!
    >
    > Loupole

    What shop did you get your setup from?
    Andrew, May 18, 2005
  15. On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:03:59 -0400, "Impossible"
    <> wrote:

    >"Loupole" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just
    >>wondering about the temps !!
    >>
    >> When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress
    >> at full load at idle it was low 30's
    >>
    >> Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!
    >>
    >> My cooling is a water cooler !! I can't understand why the temps
    >> would go so high !!
    >>
    >> Any suggestions !!

    >72 degrees C is the outer limit of the P4 3.8 Ghz thermal model at
    >full load. Which means you have no margin for error in your current
    >system. If the temp regularly rose above that level, it would
    >certainly shorten the cpu's lifespan.
    >
    >I'd strongly suggest you not overclock. But assuming you're going to
    >anyway -- What thermal compound are you using between the cpu and the
    >heatsink? A silver-oxide based product like Arctic Silver is highly
    >recommended. Also, consider the case air flow -- a case ambient temp
    >of 38 degrees C or less is what you need to meeet Intel's specs.

    Modern cases often have an air duct out the side of the cas above the
    CPU
    FreedomChooser, May 19, 2005
  16. Loupole

    gimp Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > With my big Zalman 92mm cooler I don't think I have seen my XP2400 go
    > over 42° under load. Sitting at 28° at the moment, though it is like
    > an icebox in here.

    whoa that's pretty good for full load - is that the 7000AlCu/Cu...? i
    was thinking of that for my next dual rig.

    with a tt polo cooler at 2,400rpm my A64 3200+ stays at around 35C idle,
    52 full load. i'm using that everest program to measure it so i assume
    its measuring core temp?
    gimp, May 19, 2005
  17. Hi there,

    Loupole wrote:
    > I have a intel 3.8ghz cpu overclocked to 4.20ghz stable !! Just wondering
    > about the temps !!
    >
    > When I got it from the computer shop it was not breaking 55 degress at full
    > load at idle it was low 30's
    >
    > Now its its reaching 70-72 at full load !! What gives !!
    >
    > My cooling is a water cooler !! I can't understand why the temps would go so
    > high !!

    Because you are squeezing the turd outta yer P4! Its not that hard
    to see why! :)

    I don't think I'd take it higher personally, but you might be able
    to suck a few more degrees from the case to help the CPU. I presume
    your graphics card is overclocked? Try cooling that better, as they
    put a surprising amount of heat back into the case sometimes...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, May 19, 2005
  18. Loupole

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:33:26 +1200, gimp <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    > > With my big Zalman 92mm cooler I don't think I have seen my XP2400 go
    >> over 42° under load. Sitting at 28° at the moment, though it is like
    >> an icebox in here.

    >whoa that's pretty good for full load - is that the 7000AlCu/Cu...? i
    >was thinking of that for my next dual rig.
    >
    >with a tt polo cooler at 2,400rpm my A64 3200+ stays at around 35C idle,
    >52 full load. i'm using that everest program to measure it so i assume
    >its measuring core temp?

    Yes, a good cooler for XP2400.

    Check out the CNPS7700-ALCU at
    http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsA.php?pp_id=CA00084
    120mm fan instead of 92mm. It is a monster.

    Was using MBM5 but switched to Speedfan for readings.
    GraB, May 19, 2005
  19. Loupole

    gimp Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Check out the CNPS7700-ALCU at
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsA.php?pp_id=CA00084
    > 120mm fan instead of 92mm. It is a monster.

    yeah i've seen the 120mmm version - hehe IMHO i don't think its an
    option for me with a dual cpu board, having up to 1.5 kilograms of
    weight hanging off a motherboard in vertical mode makes my skin crawl...
    also finding room for 2 of those things side by side wouldn't be easy ;)
    gimp, May 19, 2005
  20. In article <>,
    "Impossible" <> wrote:

    >72 degrees C is the outer limit of the P4 3.8 Ghz thermal model at
    >full load. Which means you have no margin for error in your current
    >system. If the temp regularly rose above that level, it would
    >certainly shorten the cpu's lifespan.

    I wonder if Loupole has had a look inside the case recently, just to see
    if anything is showing signs of, shall we say, excessive heat exposure.

    My first introduction to overclocking was in 1994, when a colleague was
    messing about with his brand-new PowerMac 6100/60. I saw it in the
    technicians' workshop about a week later--man, did that inside look well
    and truly cooked...
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, May 19, 2005