    ideas appreciated.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Sep 21, 2004

  2. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:04:33 -0400, JTJersey wrote:

    > In the BIOS of this SOYO Mainboard (SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2) under the
    > PC Health Status the CPU temperature stays at a constant 45C , even when
    > it first comes on. It's using a Celeron 2.6 with a Thermaltake Silent
    > Tower hs/fan combo. The CPU does not feel warm at all, but I don't think
    > this can be right. The BIOS screen blinks slightly every couple of
    > seconds as other values change ocasionally. The system temperature
    > climbs to 32C which is verified by a seperate sensor on the front of the
    > case. Any ideas appreciated.

    I know that many AMD boards utilize a sensor under the CPU chip that
    sometimes needs to be bent upwards to make contact with the chip for
    proper temperature read outs. Intel chips have no such arangement that
    I'm aware of. Also, this Celeron CPU has a hole in one corner. Anyone
    know what it's for? If some thermal paste got into that hole could it
    cause this problem? A google search has turned up nothing useful.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Sep 22, 2004

  3. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:01:50 -0400, JTJersey wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:04:33 -0400, JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> In the BIOS of this SOYO Mainboard (SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2) under
    >> the PC Health Status the CPU temperature stays at a constant 45C , even
    >> when it first comes on. It's using a Celeron 2.6 with a Thermaltake
    >> Silent Tower hs/fan combo. The CPU does not feel warm at all, but I
    >> don't think this can be right. The BIOS screen blinks slightly every
    >> couple of seconds as other values change ocasionally. The system
    >> temperature climbs to 32C which is verified by a seperate sensor on the
    >> front of the case. Any ideas appreciated.

    > I know that many AMD boards utilize a sensor under the CPU chip that
    > sometimes needs to be bent upwards to make contact with the chip for
    > proper temperature read outs. Intel chips have no such arangement that
    > I'm aware of. Also, this Celeron CPU has a hole in one corner. Anyone
    > know what it's for? If some thermal paste got into that hole could it
    > cause this problem? A google search has turned up nothing useful.

    As I've looked into this I've found that the hole in the top of this
    Celeron CPU is of no consequence. That's just a cover. Underneath is the
    actual chip which is also covered with thermal paste. I've got to
    conclude there's a problem with the temperature sensing on the SOYO board
    itself at this point. Thanks to- http://tinyurl.com/6fobk
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Sep 22, 2004