    are almost as fast as my 2GZ Athlon. Not to mention alot quieter! Makes me
    wonder what all the fuss is about 3Ghz processors?

    For the average home user they are more than adequate.
    Sam, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Sam

    Andy Kelly Guest

    > For general surfing, office apps and light photo editting (Win XP Pro)

    they
    > are almost as fast as my 2GZ Athlon. Not to mention alot quieter! Makes me
    > wonder what all the fuss is about 3Ghz processors?

    This is the reason that I haven't bought a ne computer in 5 years. I've
    bought 3 second hand PCs in the last 3 years for the kids. All have been no
    faster than than 500Mhz and the most expensive was a Toshiba laptop at £100
    which came with a monitor & docking station. No one in the family complains
    that it takes too long to do anything.

    Computer processors exceeded human reaction times years ago and the average
    user uses a computer for the internet, e-mail & word processing.. Hardly the
    most taxing of applications.
    Andy Kelly, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Sam

    Atreju Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:42:07 GMT, "Andy Kelly" <>
    wrote:

    >Computer processors exceeded human reaction times years ago and the average
    >user uses a computer for the internet, e-mail & word processing.. Hardly the
    >most taxing of applications.

    The advantages of faster processors, while they are being marketed a
    bit deceptively, is in the computational department.

    First of all, Put Windows XP on a 500 MHz system and a 3 GHz (even
    though it's not really 3 GHz, but that's another discussion), and see
    how they perform.

    I'm not saying this is a good thing that XP actually needs more CPU
    speed, but the fact is a faster CPU will handle it all much better.

    Additionally, if you're running software for video editing, rendering,
    even photoshop... all that stuff is processed extremely faster. There
    IS a definite and substantial difference.

    All this having been said, many people simply don't need it. In such a
    case, it's a great idea to save money by buying used systems!

    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Sep 24, 2004