    1.7Ghz. Now... what would cause it to run at only half its max frequency? I
    have Windows XP 32 bit on this computer as well and it runs fine on there.
    Any ideas?
    =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=, Sep 15, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Go to Power Options control panel and switch it to the "Always On" profile
    and see if that changes anything.
    This is probably Intel's SpeedStep technology at work, which lowers the CPU
    speed if your CPU is not too busy.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 15, 2006

  3. I set it to always on, ran the computer rating test, and it was still at 1.7
    during the whole thing. The cpu usage is going up, and if it is intel's
    SpeedStep tech thats reducing it, it should notice the increased usage and
    then increase the speed, which it isnt. Plus, it doesnt do that on windows
    xp, so I dont think its the SpeedStep at all

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=, Sep 16, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    from an article on speedstep. Not sure if this applies to all models

    A speed of 2.8GHz (14 x 200) is the lowest state to which EIST will reduce
    the Pentium's speed though.

    John Barnes, Sep 16, 2006
  5. So I was right, its not speedstep, or else it would have only been reduced to
    2.8. Does anyone know what it could be?

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=, Sep 16, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Speedstep lowers my Pentium 4 3.06 GHz CPU to 1.7 GHz.

    Anyway, if it's not speedstep, then something really wierd is going on. The
    OS should not determine the speed of the CPU.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 16, 2006
  7. What utility is reporting the speed? The cpu speed adjusts to load. I
    don't think the OS matters, but the utility reporting the speed might not
    work right under Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 16, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry, that article referred to the Pentium D's.

    Can't speedstep be turned off or on since it is software supported?

    John Barnes, Sep 16, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Depending on your motherboard, you may be able to disable it in the BIOS
    setup.

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 16, 2006
  10. My processor is an Athlon 64. My "reported" MHz is half speed using a variety
    of apps that work with XP. I believe the apps don't work with Vista x86 OR
    x64. I have had the same results since the switch to Vista with no noticeable
    loss of performance, just a bad reported number.
    --
    Keith.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?=, Sep 17, 2006
  11. The AMD Clock utility will show the true speed. It works fine with Vista.

    Colin
    =?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=, Sep 17, 2006
  12. I have an intel proc, so i dont think an AMD program will work with it...
    Anyway, im not using any utils, its right from windows vista under my
    computer -> properties. It shows the cpus max speed and then the speed its
    running at, same as with windows xp (and i can notice it running slower, so
    its not just reading it wrong)

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=, Sep 17, 2006
  13. The only option that comes close would be throttling, which i can try
    changing to see if it works, maybe vista is doing something to set it off...

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=, Sep 17, 2006
  14. Well I went to the BIOS to turn down throttling and I saw "EIST" (SpeedStep)
    under the list of CPU options. I had completely forgotten that that was in
    there :D So I turned it off and now the CPU is running at 3.46Ghz under
    Vista :) Thanks for the help guys (Althought I find it odd that Vista still
    rates the CPU as a 4.4, Id hate to see what it takes to get a 6)

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVsYW5vcg==?=, Sep 17, 2006
  15. If the test is results oriented then anything could be a slight bottleneck,
    thereby lowering the result.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 18, 2006