    on the market I would appreciate some advice.
    I'm not interested in serious cooling, 50 to 60 degrees would
    be good, but quiet, and reasonably priced.
    J.wilson, Jan 7, 2005

  2. J.wilson wrote:
    > Machine has an amd athlon thunderbird 64 with the standard cooling fan
    > running at around 65 degrees and it is getting a bit
    > noisy. I tried a Silenx fan and watched the temperature climb to 80
    > degrees. There is such a range of alternative options
    > on the market I would appreciate some advice.
    > I'm not interested in serious cooling, 50 to 60 degrees would
    > be good, but quiet, and reasonably priced.

    for a start I think you are a little confused about the CPU that you
    have, there was never an Athlon Thunderbird 64.

    If it is an Athlon 64, then that is really hot, they are usually fairly
    cool running(under 55C) even in hot weather.

    If it's new, take it back and get the company that made it to check it
    out, it shouldn't be that hot at all.

    as for silent cooling, it is pretty much, you get what you pay for, the
    stock coolers are adequate, but not good, I spent ~$150 on my last
    machine on cooling, and it was silent and cool, those coolers arent
    availible anymore, better and cheaper ones have taken it's place... not
    sure whats the bee knees these days.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 7, 2005

  3. J.wilson

    J.wilson Guest

    > J.wilson wrote:
    >> Machine has an amd athlon thunderbird 64 with the standard cooling fan
    >> running at around 65 degrees and it is getting a bit
    >> noisy. I tried a Silenx fan and watched the temperature climb to 80
    >> degrees. There is such a range of alternative options
    >> on the market I would appreciate some advice.
    >> I'm not interested in serious cooling, 50 to 60 degrees would
    >> be good, but quiet, and reasonably priced.

    > for a start I think you are a little confused about the CPU that you have,
    > there was never an Athlon Thunderbird 64.
    >
    > If it is an Athlon 64, then that is really hot, they are usually fairly
    > cool running(under 55C) even in hot weather.
    >
    > If it's new, take it back and get the company that made it to check it
    > out, it shouldn't be that hot at all.
    >
    > as for silent cooling, it is pretty much, you get what you pay for, the
    > stock coolers are adequate, but not good, I spent ~$150 on my last machine
    > on cooling, and it was silent and cool, those coolers arent availible
    > anymore, better and cheaper ones have taken it's place... not sure whats
    > the bee knees these days.

    Yes, sorry, fuzzy head with the the flu. It is an amd 1.4 GHz.
    J.wilson, Jan 7, 2005
  4. J.wilson wrote:
    >>>Machine has an amd athlon thunderbird 64 with the standard cooling fan
    >>>running at around 65 degrees and it is getting a bit
    >>>noisy.

    >>for a start I think you are a little confused about the CPU that you have,
    >>there was never an Athlon Thunderbird 64.

    >>If it is an Athlon 64, then that is really hot, they are usually fairly
    >>cool running(under 55C) even in hot weather.

    >>as for silent cooling, it is pretty much, you get what you pay for, the
    >>stock coolers are adequate, but not good, I spent ~$150 on my last machine
    >>on cooling, and it was silent and cool, those coolers arent availible
    >>anymore, better and cheaper ones have taken it's place... not sure whats
    >>the bee knees these days.

    > Yes, sorry, fuzzy head with the the flu. It is an amd 1.4 GHz.

    thunderbird 1.4 were IIRC the hotest running of the AMD Athlon range...
    so yeah, it's like trying to cool a very hot thing, ~90W from memory,
    which at the time was huge.

    Something like the Zalman flower would work, keeps them under 65C(~their
    limit) and silent... well, quieter than a Hdd spinning.

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=zalman flower site:nz
    (google.com zalman flower site:nz)
    gives a fair few places that have them, and they're not too dear, coming
    in at ~$75

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=109880 is the one I
    meant, but it may have been superceded by this one, the super flower...
    http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?3464

    I've used the first one, and it was fine, ran silent, no fan, in winter,
    but needed the fan on in summer(Dunedin, so probably fan needed on all
    year elsewhere :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 7, 2005