    Any ideas as to why?

    Thanks,

    Nick
    nrennie, Sep 4, 2004

  2. "nrennie" <> wrote in message
    news:chbiec$mp7$...
    > We've just changed CPUs from an Athlon 1Gb to an Athlon 2400XP+. Seems to
    > be working OK, but shows up in control panel/system as Athlon 1800+.
    >
    > Any ideas as to why?

    My guess would be that you have the bus set to work at 100MHz rather than
    133MHz in your bios. Depending on your bios, these numbers may be reported
    as 200 and 266. It is also possible that your cpu is running at the correct
    speed and that you need to update your bios so that it can report the new
    processor correctly. That said, usually when such an update is required the
    bios will simply report the processor type as unknown...

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz
    Andrew Bryson, Sep 4, 2004

  3. nrennie

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 17:06:11 +1200, nrennie wrote:

    > We've just changed CPUs from an Athlon 1Gb to an Athlon 2400XP+. Seems
    > to be working OK, but shows up in control panel/system as Athlon 1800+.
    >
    > Any ideas as to why?

    You're obviously using Micro$oft Windows as your OS/GUI.

    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Micro$oft Windows?

    Failing that, reformat and install Linux instead.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
    Divine, Sep 4, 2004
  4. nrennie

    steve Guest

    nrennie wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > We've just changed CPUs from an Athlon 1Gb to an Athlon 2400XP+. Seems
    > to be working OK, but shows up in control panel/system as Athlon 1800+.
    >
    > Any ideas as to why?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick

    You may need a BIOS upgrade....

    Had an AMD-format mobo that would happily use a Duron 1000 and Athlon
    1.4....but barfed on an Athlon 2000.

    After the BIOS upgrade, the problem was gone.
    steve, Sep 4, 2004
  5. nrennie

    nrennie Guest

    Hmmmmm it's just started to turn itself off too at different times.
    Sometimes before windows starts,during the POST before you can go into
    the BIOS, sometimes 15 min (eg) after Windows starts.

    Have also put in a new video card but I'm guessing it's probably the CPU
    as it sometimes cuts out before the BIOS?

    Cheers,

    Nick

    nrennie, Sep 4, 2004
  6. nrennie

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:01:35 +1200, Divine <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 17:06:11 +1200, nrennie wrote:
    >
    >> We've just changed CPUs from an Athlon 1Gb to an Athlon 2400XP+. Seems
    >> to be working OK, but shows up in control panel/system as Athlon 1800+.
    >>
    >> Any ideas as to why?

    >You're obviously using Micro$oft Windows as your OS/GUI.
    >
    >Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Micro$oft Windows?
    >
    >Failing that, reformat and install Linux instead.

    How the **** will that fix the problem?

    OP: Depending how old the board is, they may be a jumper/dip switch that needs
    to be changed for the bus speed (if it can't be done in the bios).
    Invisible, Sep 4, 2004
  7. nrennie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    nrennie wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We've just changed CPUs from an Athlon 1Gb to an Athlon 2400XP+.
    > Seems to be working OK, but shows up in control panel/system as
    > Athlon 1800+.
    >
    > Any ideas as to why?

    What motherboard Nick?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 4, 2004
  8. nrennie

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:14:58 +1200, nrennie <> wrote:

    >Hmmmmm it's just started to turn itself off too at different times.
    >Sometimes before windows starts,during the POST before you can go into
    >the BIOS, sometimes 15 min (eg) after Windows starts.
    >
    >Have also put in a new video card but I'm guessing it's probably the CPU
    >as it sometimes cuts out before the BIOS?

    Not at all necessarily - the VGA card is initialised when the machine
    is first turned on.

    However, in your circumstances, I would imagine it's the CPU.

    Check the FSB setting, and grab a MoBo BIOS update from the
    manufacturer's site.

    What is the motherboard model?
    Gurble, Sep 4, 2004
  9. nrennie

    cowboyz Guest

    nrennie wrote:
    > Hmmmmm it's just started to turn itself off too at different times.
    > Sometimes before windows starts,during the POST before you can go into
    > the BIOS, sometimes 15 min (eg) after Windows starts.
    >
    > Have also put in a new video card but I'm guessing it's probably the
    > CPU as it sometimes cuts out before the BIOS?
    >

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Nick

    To your first problem. As others have said check your FSB setting.

    To the above problem.. Sounds to me like its getting a little hot a little
    quick. The latter AMD CPUs when run with inadequate cooling without Linux
    installed shut down when they get hot, despite popular belief that they burn
    your house down.

    Fortunately, if you are running Microsoft Windows, it has the ability to
    shut down your machine if your CPU gets too hot - in fact, it is so advanced
    it can shut down your machine *before* the OS even loads.

    Ok. finished my childish dig at divine... Heres what you want to do.

    1. check your FSB settings.
    2. check your CPU fan.
    3. did you use paste when installing the CPU? IF not then put some on the
    CPU.
    cowboyz, Sep 4, 2004
  10. In article <chbiec$mp7$>, ie says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We've just changed CPUs from an Athlon 1Gb to an Athlon 2400XP+. Seems
    > to be working OK, but shows up in control panel/system as Athlon 1800+.
    >
    > Any ideas as to why?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick

    First port of call:

    The maker of your motherboards support site.
    Check for new BIOS updates, download the manual .. double check your
    bios setup (or jumpers if used).

    And check your CPU temperature (and fan)..
    wogers nemesis, Sep 4, 2004
  11. nrennie

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:36:43 +1200, Invisible wrote:

    >>You're obviously using Micro$oft Windows as your OS/GUI.
    >>
    >>Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Micro$oft Windows?
    >>
    >>Failing that, reformat and install Linux instead.

    > How the **** will that fix the problem?

    Easy - It is a microsoft problem caused by the use of Micro$oft software.
    Use non-Micro$oft software ant the problem will disappear. ;o)

    Divine

    Divine, Sep 4, 2004
  12. nrennie

    nrennie Guest

    It's an MSI KT3 Ultra ARU

    nrennie, Sep 4, 2004
  13. nrennie

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:14:58 +1200, nrennie wrote:

    > Hmmmmm it's just started to turn itself off too at different times.
    > Sometimes before windows starts,during the POST before you can go into
    > the BIOS, sometimes 15 min (eg) after Windows starts.

    Could be a memory fault with the RAM or ROM.

    I saw those symptoms once. In the end that system wouldn't do *anything*.

    My solution was to replace the mobo.

    Divine

    Divine, Sep 4, 2004
  14. "nrennie" <> wrote in message
    > Hmmmmm it's just started to turn itself off too at different times.
    > Sometimes before windows starts,during the POST before you can go into the
    > BIOS, sometimes 15 min (eg) after Windows starts.
    >
    > Have also put in a new video card but I'm guessing it's probably the CPU
    > as it sometimes cuts out before the BIOS?

    Check the motherboard manufacturer's web site - if they have a bios upgrade,
    reinstall your old cpu, download and install the bios update and then put
    your new cpu back in. Do not try this with the new cpu in if you are having
    those problems as you will probably make the motherboard unbootable if the
    machine reboots while running the update (some motherboards have protection
    against this but most do not). It could also be a power supply issue if your
    power supply is sufficiently small, or it could be inadequate thermal
    contact between the processor and heatsink.

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz
    Andrew Bryson, Sep 4, 2004
  15. "Divine" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:14:58 +1200, nrennie wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmmmm it's just started to turn itself off too at different times.
    >> Sometimes before windows starts,during the POST before you can go into
    >> the BIOS, sometimes 15 min (eg) after Windows starts.

    > Could be a memory fault with the RAM or ROM.

    It is highly unlikely to be memory if it was working fine with the old cpu
    in. Best thing to do is put the old cpu back in and see if the system
    behaves itself. If it does behave with the old cpu you know that there is
    either something wrong with the new cpu or with its compatibility with your
    motherboard (which can usually be fixed by bios update).

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz
    Andrew Bryson, Sep 4, 2004
  16. nrennie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    nrennie wrote:
    > Gurble wrote:
    >> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:14:58 +1200, nrennie <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hmmmmm it's just started to turn itself off too at different times.
    >>> Sometimes before windows starts,during the POST before you can go
    >>> into the BIOS, sometimes 15 min (eg) after Windows starts.
    >>>
    >>> Have also put in a new video card but I'm guessing it's probably
    >>> the CPU as it sometimes cuts out before the BIOS?
    >>>

    >> Not at all necessarily - the VGA card is initialised when the machine
    >> is first turned on.
    >>
    >> However, in your circumstances, I would imagine it's the CPU.
    >>
    >> Check the FSB setting, and grab a MoBo BIOS update from the
    >> manufacturer's site.
    >>
    >> What is the motherboard model?

    > It's an MSI KT3 Ultra ARU

    The symptoms sound like the dreaded capacitor failure syndrome but that
    board should be a little less than two years old and theoretically missed
    the bad caps. However I would strongly recommend a visual examination of all
    the capacitors. Check for any bulging, usually the top but the sides may
    bulge too. Also check for leakage of any electrolyte. If the caps look
    alright (fingers crossed) then the next thing I would consider is an
    underpowered PSU, especially as the problem showed up at the same time as a
    new graphics card *and* CPU, probably the two biggest consumers of power in
    the case.

    Otherwise, as for the incorrect reporting of the CPU, Andrew is more than
    likely correct. The FSB needs to be set to 133 and it is probably at 100
    now. On release that board was said to support up to the XP2000+, the
    fastest CPU around at the time. If you haven't updated the BIOS I suggest
    you do so. (Only if you can get it running stably though, the last thing you
    need is a crash in the middle of a BIOS flash, maybe reinstall the old CPU
    and graphics card while you flash the BIOS?)

    The BIOS can be found here:

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=11&kin
    d=1

    BIOS version 5.6 supports the XP2400+ (depending on PCB)

    Good luck, keep us informed. I think (hope) it's an inadequate PSU problem.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 4, 2004
  17. nrennie

    EMB Guest

    nrennie wrote:
    > Hmmmmm it's just started to turn itself off too at different times.
    > Sometimes before windows starts,during the POST before you can go into
    > the BIOS, sometimes 15 min (eg) after Windows starts.
    >
    > Have also put in a new video card but I'm guessing it's probably the CPU
    > as it sometimes cuts out before the BIOS?

    PSU not up to the extra load??

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Sep 4, 2004
  18. nrennie wrote:
    > We've just changed CPUs from an Athlon 1Gb to an Athlon 2400XP+. Seems
    > to be working OK, but shows up in control panel/system as Athlon 1800+.

    > Any ideas as to why?

    the bus speed is set wrong, flick it from 133 to 166 and all shall be
    revelled. :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 4, 2004
  19. Divine wrote:
    >>We've just changed CPUs from an Athlon 1Gb to an Athlon 2400XP+. Seems
    >>to be working OK, but shows up in control panel/system as Athlon 1800+.
    >>Any ideas as to why?

    > You're obviously using Micro$oft Windows as your OS/GUI.
    > Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Micro$oft Windows?
    > Failing that, reformat and install Linux instead.

    WTF?
    you really should put smilies when you're joking... oh please tell me
    that you were joking.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 4, 2004
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> We've just changed CPUs from an Athlon 1Gb to an Athlon 2400XP+.
    >> Seems to be working OK, but shows up in control panel/system as Athlon
    >> 1800+.

    >> Any ideas as to why?

    > the bus speed is set wrong, flick it from 133 to 166 and all shall be
    > revelled. :)

    oops... 100 to 133... my mistake.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 4, 2004