CPU (processor) recommendation?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by C. Roy Blye, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. C. Roy Blye

    C. Roy Blye Guest

    Hi All,

    I am "customizing" a new Dell computer, and can't decide which of two
    processors would be best for me. My choices are: 3.4GHz Pentium 4 with HT or
    2.8GHz Pentium D (dual core).

    I do not foresee that I will need simultaneous processing, such as gaming
    while downloading music, which is, as I understand, the strength of the dual
    core processor. But I also understand that a lot of future software
    (applications) will probably be written with dual core in mind.

    My computing is very tame: I create web pages, surf the net (sometimes to
    graphic -heavy pages), and do quite a bit of personal digital photo
    processing. That's about it. Nobody would call me "extreme".

    One more "factor", which may or may not affect my choice of processors: I
    plan to partition the hard drive on my new computer and install Windows 98
    as a second OS in order to run some old software which I assume will
    probably not run on Windows XP. What I don't know is whether the type of
    processor might affect the running of older programs.

    Any good advice from the experts among you out there will be very much
    appreciated! Thanks.

    Charlie A.
    C. Roy Blye, Jun 8, 2006

  2. C. Roy Blye

    Nick Guest

    > I am "customizing" a new Dell computer, and can't decide which of two
    > processors would be best for me. My choices are: 3.4GHz Pentium 4 with HT
    > or
    > 2.8GHz Pentium D (dual core).

    by customizing, do you mean using the same case and power suppy, and buying
    a new motherbaord CPU and ram? or are you just changing the CPU? if thats
    the case, whats in thre now?

    > I do not foresee that I will need simultaneous processing, such as gaming
    > while downloading music, which is, as I understand, the strength of the
    > dual
    > core processor. But I also understand that a lot of future software
    > (applications) will probably be written with dual core in mind.
    >
    > My computing is very tame: I create web pages, surf the net (sometimes to
    > graphic -heavy pages), and do quite a bit of personal digital photo
    > processing. That's about it. Nobody would call me "extreme".

    if this is the type of user you are, and plan to be in the future, then I
    doubt you'll notice a big difference between two of them, I'd go with
    whatever is cheaper.

    > One more "factor", which may or may not affect my choice of processors: I
    > plan to partition the hard drive on my new computer and install Windows 98
    > as a second OS in order to run some old software which I assume will
    > probably not run on Windows XP. What I don't know is whether the type of
    > processor might affect the running of older programs.

    what "older" software are you trying to run? I can't think of too many
    things that will run in windows 98 but wont' run in windows xp. both fo
    these version of windows are not based on dos (Win95 was the last one that
    was based on dos)

    hope this helps.

    Nick, Jun 8, 2006

  3. C. Roy Blye

    bmoag Guest

    Are you talking about buying a new computer from Dell?
    If so you must consider the "Why the F* would you buy from Dell" issue.
    First, it would be unwise to buy anything other than a dual core processor
    as this is the way of the future. With the exception of the new Intel Core
    Dual processor all other Intel dual core and hyperthreaded single core
    computers are light years behind AMD 64 dual and single core processors to
    the point that it makes no sense to buy a new machine with these processors
    if you are concerned about performance now and in the near future.
    In its current iteration even the core dual processor is distinctly lacking
    other than for energy efficiency.
    Hence the "Why the F* would you buy from Dell" issue.
    Dell has bought Alienware, presumably so they can finally get out of their
    Intel monomania and finally access AMD technology.
    Six months from now the new dual core 64 bit processors Intel is announcing
    may make more sense.
    Maybe you should check out Alienware . . .
    bmoag, Jun 8, 2006