    it would be doing this? I have done various virus scans and things like that
    and there is nothing. Does anyone know what to do in a case like this???
    Thanks for any help.
    Paul, May 13, 2004

  2. Paul

    Wizard Guest

    Are you talking about "system idle Process" ? Mine sits at 99% most of
    the time.

    Wizard, May 13, 2004

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    no I mean CPU usage under performance tab.

    Paul, May 13, 2004
  4. Paul

    Captain Ron Guest

    What process is using the CPU? Have you tried running in safe mode?
    Captain Ron, May 13, 2004
  5. Paul

    Plato Guest

    Wizard wrote:

    > Are you talking about "system idle Process" ? Mine sits at 99% most of
    > the time.

    I often wonder about those "stats" and if MS should have put that util
    [cpu mon] in for the average home user. In other words, if nothing is
    going on but for system idle, then yeah, system idle would be using 99%
    of the cpu as it has no competion for cpu cycles. This doesn't mean
    however that the cpu is running data continuously. Please correct me if
    I'm mistaken.
    Plato, May 13, 2004
  6. Paul

    Plato Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Hi I have a AMD 2.8, 120GB, 512MB running XP Home with a good bit left of
    > hard drive space. The CPU is almost always running at 100%, any ideas to why
    > it would be doing this? I have done various virus scans and things like that

    Which is NOT an issue for a healthy PC while using all your favorite
    apps. ie dont you want your OS to use all the CPU power you paid for? Or
    do you want it to use less and make your system slower?

    On the other hand, if some spyware or trojan is hogging 99% of your cpu
    power then your pc will run real slow until you remove the nasty. The
    point is to find out what's using
    the cpu if you are having some sort of unordinary slow down that you
    need to fix.

    Same thing with ram. You bought it to use it. You hope that your PC uses
    100% of it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 13, 2004
  7. Paul

    Brad Griffis Guest

    Check the processes tab and see if you can find what's hogging the CPU.
    Perhaps it's something harmless. For example, if you installed one of those
    distributed computing applications (such as the one for analyzing SETI
    signals or the one for analyzing proteins) then that will cause your CPU
    usage to show up as 100% because they'll use all the idle cycles to do
    processing.

    This type of thing often is a virus though. Sometimes you can't catch a
    virus while it's actually running (e.g. they interfere with the virus
    software). Make sure your antivirus software is fully updated and then
    reboot your computer to safe mode (when you reboot press F8 repeatedly and
    choose Safe Mode). Once your computer is booted to Safe Mode then do a full
    system scan with your updated antivirus. That will often detect those
    "hard-to-spot" viruses.

    BRad

    Brad Griffis, May 14, 2004
  8. Paul

    slalomguy Guest

    go to device manager and check which process is hogging your cpu
    google the process
    its probably a trojan of sort
    very hard to get rid of
    but norton and others have some manual uninstall procedures
    had the same problem recently with rundll32.exe got so frustrated in the end
    that I uninstalled wxp to get rid of it

    slalomguy, May 14, 2004