    high depreciation items, but it does seem a bit ridiculous that a volume
    CPU ends up costing more.

    At least RAM has dropped substantially in the last 12 months.
    Abstract Reasoning, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Abstract Reasoning

    MarkH Guest

    Abstract Reasoning <> wrote in
    news:embpnk50z73.1awcalu930r0x$:

    > A year ago, I purchased an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS+F.

    Which CPU are you talking about?

    > If I was to buy exactly the same CPU today, it would cost me more than it
    > did last year.

    So, what did it cost then and what does it cost now?

    > It may be a different story on the bleeding edge CPU's that are known as
    > high depreciation items, but it does seem a bit ridiculous that a volume
    > CPU ends up costing more.

    Without really understanding what you are going on about it is hard to say
    whether I agree with your point or not.

    I see that I can buy an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS & F for $110+GST now, exactly
    how much cheaper was it a year ago?

    If you are referring to a different CPU that is no longer manufactured then
    it would be no surprise to find that any stock that still exists could be
    dearer. This would be a simple case of supply & demand determining the
    price.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Dec 4, 2005

  3. On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 02:56:50 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    > I see that I can buy an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS & F for $110+GST now, exactly
    > how much cheaper was it a year ago?

    $92 inc.

    I noticed they had gone up after Christmas when I bought some more to build
    a few systems, and notice that they've never returned to those levels.

    Admittedly a low end CPU where there is a base price consideration ie fixed
    manufacturing costs (die, packaging, transportation, margin etc), but
    still...

    There has been some movement in the ~3k processors, but not what could be
    called substantial in most cases.
    Abstract Reasoning, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Abstract Reasoning

    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 02:56:50 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> I see that I can buy an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS & F for $110+GST now,
    >> exactly how much cheaper was it a year ago?

    > $92 inc.

    That is a bit of a difference. But sometimes this happens, I have seen it
    with RAM prices over the years. There is occasionally an oversupply in the
    market and the prices go down to move the stock.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Dec 4, 2005
  5. Abstract Reasoning

    Rider Guest

    "Abstract Reasoning" <> wrote in message
    >A year ago, I purchased an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS+F.
    >
    > If I was to buy exactly the same CPU today, it would cost me more than it
    > did last year.
    >
    > It may be a different story on the bleeding edge CPU's that are known as
    > high depreciation items, but it does seem a bit ridiculous that a volume
    > CPU ends up costing more.
    >
    > At least RAM has dropped substantially in the last 12 months.

    Are you comparing the same type of CPU IE: Duron compared to price of
    Sempron?

    Rider
    Rider, Dec 4, 2005
  6. On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 08:51:48 +1300, Rider wrote:

    > "Abstract Reasoning" <> wrote in message
    >>A year ago, I purchased an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS+F.
    >>
    >> If I was to buy exactly the same CPU today, it would cost me more than it
    >> did last year.
    >>
    >> It may be a different story on the bleeding edge CPU's that are known as
    >> high depreciation items, but it does seem a bit ridiculous that a volume
    >> CPU ends up costing more.
    >>
    >> At least RAM has dropped substantially in the last 12 months.

    > Are you comparing the same type of CPU IE: Duron compared to price of
    > Sempron?
    >
    > Rider

    333 FSB
    Abstract Reasoning, Dec 5, 2005
  7. On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 08:51:48 +1300, Rider wrote:

    > Are you comparing the same type of CPU IE: Duron compared to price of
    > Sempron?

    I thought that a Semperon was just a renamed AthlonXP.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Abstract Reasoning

    Daniel Guest

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:

    > I thought that a Semperon was just a renamed AthlonXP.

    Originally - yes.

    Sempron is basically the AMD budget brand, and comes in socket 754 and
    more recently socket 939 versions.

    The 754 Semprons offer very good price/performance ratios.
    Daniel, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Abstract Reasoning

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:10:18 +1300, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    >Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
    >>
    >> I thought that a Semperon was just a renamed AthlonXP.
    >>

    >Originally - yes.
    >
    >Sempron is basically the AMD budget brand, and comes in socket 754 and
    >more recently socket 939 versions.

    Where do you go for a 939 Sempron?

    >The 754 Semprons offer very good price/performance ratios.

    Also, 64 bit Semprons are available :)
    Bret, Dec 5, 2005
  10. Abstract Reasoning

    Daniel Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > Where do you go for a 939 Sempron?

    At the moment, it appears they only sell them in complete PC's from
    HP/Compaq.
    Daniel, Dec 6, 2005
  11. Abstract Reasoning

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:33:49 +1300, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >>
    >> Where do you go for a 939 Sempron?
    >>

    >At the moment, it appears they only sell them in complete PC's from
    >HP/Compaq.

    Bummer :(
    Bret, Dec 6, 2005