    But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
    Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
    Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

    Daniel, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Daniel

    XPD Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
    > crying today.
    >

    > Man, some of those price cuts are insane.
    >
    > Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was $605.98.
    > Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
    >

    > But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
    > Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
    > Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

    <jaw drop>

    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ 2.0GHz Socket 939 - Prices start at 290
    odd bucks according to pricespy..... man... thought I got a deal
    swapping my old Ipaq for a Athlon 2400+ LOL

    Time to start saving....

    XPD, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was $605.98.
    > Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*

    Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.

    They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But, it's the
    first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

    Daniel, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Daniel

    Nova Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
    > crying today.
    >

    > Man, some of those price cuts are insane.
    >
    > Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was $605.98.
    > Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
    >

    > But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
    > Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
    > Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

    I have been holding off on upgrading waiting for the conroes but looking
    at the prices for the dual core AMD cpu's I am very tempted to go for
    one of them now.. I'll still hold off for a bit.. I see Intel are going
    to push their quad core cpu's out this year now also instead of waiting
    for next year so I'll see what effect that has on conroe pricese... They
    seem to want to try and hurt AMD as much as they can while they have the
    advantage.. who can blame them.. they certainly took a beating from AMD
    over the last 2 years..

    Anyway it's all great for us..

    Nova, Jul 24, 2006
  5. Daniel

    Nova Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
    > crying today.
    >

    > Man, some of those price cuts are insane.
    >
    > Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was $605.98.
    > Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
    >

    > But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
    > Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
    > Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

    You see the price for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, Dual Core Socket AM2
    Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ with Cooler Socket AM2 2.6GHz AM2 CPU
    $551.11 $620.00 TasTech Computers (Christchurch) -671.11

    a 671 dollar change... that's insane...

    Nova, Jul 24, 2006
  6. Daniel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    > >
    > > Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was
    > > $605.98. Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
    > >

    > Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.
    >
    > They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But, it's
    > the first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

    Old stock been disposed of, new prices come into effect.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 24, 2006
  7. Daniel

    thingy Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
    >> crying today.
    >>

    >> Man, some of those price cuts are insane.
    >>
    >> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was
    >> $605.98.
    >> Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
    >>

    >> But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
    >> Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch a
    >> Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

    > You see the price for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, Dual Core Socket AM2
    > Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ with Cooler Socket AM2 2.6GHz AM2 CPU
    > $551.11 $620.00 TasTech Computers (Christchurch) -671.11
    >
    > a 671 dollar change... that's insane...

    wow....

    I am just so tempted.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 24, 2006
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was
    >>> $605.98. Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
    >>>

    >> Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.
    >>
    >> They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But, it's
    >> the first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

    > Old stock been disposed of, new prices come into effect.

    Although that example was for a 939 single core, I'm not sure I'd call
    AM2 socket CPU's old stock.

    Daniel, Jul 24, 2006
  9. Daniel

    Nova Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was
    >>> $605.98. Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
    >>>

    >> Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.
    >>
    >> They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But, it's
    >> the first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

    > Old stock been disposed of, new prices come into effect.

    heh AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, Dual Core Socket AM2 definitely is not old
    stock. This is AMD having to adjust their prices because they cannot
    compete with Conroe on a performance base and are not the king of the
    hill anymore so to remain compeditive they had to slash their prices.
    AMD announced they were going to make big price decreases a few weeks
    ago, I read about it on tomshardware. Didn't think it would have so
    much impact in NZ though or at least so fast..

    Nova, Jul 24, 2006
  10. Daniel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Daniel wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > Correction. The price drops started in the weekend from the 22nd.
    > > >
    > > > They've been dropping for a while, in smaller increments. But,
    > > > it's the first time I've noticed overnight 50% price-cuts.

    > > Old stock been disposed of, new prices come into effect.

    > Although that example was for a 939 single core, I'm not sure I'd call
    > AM2 socket CPU's old stock.

    "Old" as in bought wholesale before the 22nd (or thereabouts).

    It's all relative. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 25, 2006
  11. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Old stock been disposed of, new prices come into effect.

    >> Although that example was for a 939 single core, I'm not sure I'd call
    >> AM2 socket CPU's old stock.

    > "Old" as in bought wholesale before the 22nd (or thereabouts).
    >
    > It's all relative. :)

    True :)

    Intel's new pricing (Netburst cores) will be available come Thursday.

    This and the AMD acquisition of ATI makes for a very interesting month.

    Daniel, Jul 25, 2006
  12. Daniel

    -=rjh=- Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you brought a single core Athlon64 3800+ last week, you might be
    >>> crying today.
    >>>

    >>> Man, some of those price cuts are insane.
    >>>
    >>> Biggest drop was from GagetPeople, price of 3800+ on Saturday was
    >>> $605.98.
    >>> Today it's $258.69 !!! *ouch*
    >>>

    >>> But wait, there's more. Intel are expected to start dumping their
    >>> Netburst cores like crazy very shortly - (although, I wouldn't touch
    >>> a Netburst with a barge pole - however, hello Conroe).

    >> You see the price for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, Dual Core Socket AM2
    >> Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ with Cooler Socket AM2 2.6GHz AM2 CPU
    >> $551.11 $620.00 TasTech Computers (Christchurch) -671.11
    >>
    >> a 671 dollar change... that's insane...

    > wow....
    >
    > I am just so tempted.

    Me too, oops - too slow, sold out.

    (Actually thought a Athlon64 X2 3800+ (939) was the way to go but now
    I'll have to wait until August).

    -=rjh=-, Jul 25, 2006
  13. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > This and the AMD acquisition of ATI makes for a very interesting month.

    I hope this means _decent_ integrated gfx chipsets from AMD (ie.
    low-level/casual gaming) - puhhleese; Intel's integrated gfx is a disgrace

    Daniel, Jul 25, 2006
  14. Daniel

    thingy Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Nova wrote:

    >>> You see the price for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, Dual Core Socket AM2
    >>> Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ with Cooler Socket AM2 2.6GHz AM2 CPU
    >>> $551.11 $620.00 TasTech Computers (Christchurch) -671.11
    >>>
    >>> a 671 dollar change... that's insane...

    >> wow....
    >>
    >> I am just so tempted.

    > Me too, oops - too slow, sold out.
    >
    > (Actually thought a Athlon64 X2 3800+ (939) was the way to go but now
    > I'll have to wait until August).

    Hmmm well....prices needs to settle over a month or so, but....$143 for
    the m/board (a asrock dual agp/pci-e), $600 ish for the CPU, gig of ram,
    I'm away with a good system....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 25, 2006
  15. Daniel

    Shank Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Hmmm well....prices needs to settle over a month or so, but....$143 for
    > the m/board (a asrock dual agp/pci-e), $600 ish for the CPU, gig of ram,
    > I'm away with a good system....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Got a link for the mb? Is this AM2 or Athlon 64?

    Just got a new agp card, so don't want to change that just yet.

    Strange though, the AM2s are cheaper than the 64s now.

    Cheers

    --
    Rob

    Shank, Jul 25, 2006
  16. Daniel

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Shank wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    > > Hmmm well....prices needs to settle over a month or so, but....$143 for
    > > the m/board (a asrock dual agp/pci-e), $600 ish for the CPU, gig of ram,
    > > I'm away with a good system....
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > Thing
    > >

    > Got a link for the mb? Is this AM2 or Athlon 64?
    >
    > Just got a new agp card, so don't want to change that just yet.

    Going to be out of luck there as I haven't seen an AM2 with AGP

    > Strange though, the AM2s are cheaper than the 64s now.

    All AM2 chips are 64 bit. Or are you meaning that AM2 is cheaper than
    939 and 754

    Steva

    Steven Ellis, Jul 25, 2006
  17. Daniel

    Shank Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:
    > Shank wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmmm well....prices needs to settle over a month or so, but....$143 for
    >>> the m/board (a asrock dual agp/pci-e), $600 ish for the CPU, gig of ram,
    >>> I'm away with a good system....
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing
    >>>

    >> Got a link for the mb? Is this AM2 or Athlon 64?
    >>
    >> Just got a new agp card, so don't want to change that just yet.

    > Going to be out of luck there as I haven't seen an AM2 with AGP
    >
    >> Strange though, the AM2s are cheaper than the 64s now.

    > All AM2 chips are 64 bit. Or are you meaning that AM2 is cheaper than
    > 939 and 754

    Yup, should have specified a bit clearer. 940 as opposed to 939 & 754

    --
    Rob

    The "ohfuck-moment": when you realize just after that rm -rf * that you
    are hopelessy in the wrong directory.

    Shank, Jul 25, 2006
  18. Daniel

    Damos Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:05:57 +1200, Shank <Here@home> wrote:

    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm well...prices needs to settle over a month or so, but....$143 for
    >> the m/board (a asrock dual agp/pci-e), $600 ish for the CPU, gig of
    >> ram, I'm away with a good system....
    >> regards
    >> Thing
    >>

    > Got a link for the mb? Is this AM2 or Athlon 64?
    >
    > Just got a new agp card, so don't want to change that just yet.
    >
    > Strange though, the AM2s are cheaper than the 64s now.

    TRy http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-VSTA.htm

    I bought an asrock 939dual sata at xmas, combatible with Ath 64FX/x2
    and has a spare socket for M2 upgrade. Also has both Pci-e and AGP
    slots so I didn't have to replace my ati x850.

    Seeing the price change might upgrate the processor from 64 4000.

    D.

    Damos, Jul 26, 2006
  19. Daniel

    thingy Guest

    Damos wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:05:57 +1200, Shank <Here@home> wrote:
    >
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmmm well...prices needs to settle over a month or so, but....$143
    >>> for the m/board (a asrock dual agp/pci-e), $600 ish for the CPU, gig
    >>> of ram, I'm away with a good system....
    >>> regards
    >>> Thing
    >>>

    >> Got a link for the mb? Is this AM2 or Athlon 64?
    >>
    >> Just got a new agp card, so don't want to change that just yet.
    >>
    >> Strange though, the AM2s are cheaper than the 64s now.
    >>

    > TRy http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-VSTA.htm
    >

    > I bought an asrock 939dual sata at xmas, combatible with Ath 64FX/x2
    > and has a spare socket for M2 upgrade. Also has both Pci-e and AGP
    > slots so I didn't have to replace my ati x850.
    >
    > Seeing the price change might upgrate the processor from 64 4000.
    >

    > D.

    You like the motherboard?

    I have a Nvidia 6600 so I want to stay on agp for now....get a nice
    pci-e later....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Jul 26, 2006
  20. Daniel

    Shank Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Damos wrote:

    <snip>

    >> TRy http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-VSTA.htm
    >>

    >> I bought an asrock 939dual sata at xmas, combatible with Ath
    >> 64FX/x2 and has a spare socket for M2 upgrade. Also has both Pci-e
    >> and AGP slots so I didn't have to replace my ati x850.
    >>
    >> Seeing the price change might upgrate the processor from 64 4000.
    >>

    >> D.
    >>

    > You like the motherboard?
    >
    > I have a Nvidia 6600 so I want to stay on agp for now....get a nice
    > pci-e later....

    From Tomshardware

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/16/asrock_939dual/

    "In comparison with a respectable nForce4 motherboard, the overall
    performance of the ASRock board in the test is unfortunately below what
    our recent test of the chipset would have led us to believe. Focusing on
    the most cost-effective product possible apparently has its cost:
    Depending on the benchmark, a 5% performance deficit compared to the
    Abit Fatal1ty AN8 we brought in should be the maximum even with a budget
    board. Despite this possibly being justified by the fact that many users
    who want to upgrade are prepared to make sacrifices, we should point out
    that they will do so only if the price is right."

    --
    Rob

    When talking of the dead, it is best to remain cryptic.

    Shank, Jul 26, 2006