    for an athlon 2800+?

    Thanks
    Jeff

    CTB, Oct 17, 2003

  2. CTB

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "CTB" <> wrote in news::

    > What is a safe temp.
    > for an athlon 2800+?

    Under 70C is safe, try to keep at 60C or below for longest results. If you
    are concerned with heat and running the CPU at full power while
    overclocked, um, maybe you didn't think of this but don't overclock it.
    What did you overclock it to?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 17, 2003

  3. CTB

    Larry Smith Guest

    > I am concerned about using an application that uses my CPU power at 100%
    for
    > long periods of time without a break (powerful mathematic/graphic

    processes
    > without a break for times in excess of 10 mins). I am running a slightly
    > overclocked athlon 2800+, and I don't particularly like the idea of

    running
    > it at this power for long periods of time without a break. Is there a way
    > to regulate the cpu usage? I have looked in the task manager but haven't
    > been able to find anything.. (Windows 2000 Pro SP3) What is a safe temp.
    > for an athlon 2800+?

    Overclocking always introduces an element of risk since you're running the
    CPU beyond its normal threshold. You may not even be getting the benefit you
    think depending on what you're running. Basically, overclocking doesn't
    benefit most users and the risk is often far greater than the reward. If its
    of any consolation however, CPUs rarely break down in the real world (it has
    no moving parts like a drive for instance). You can't generally regulate it
    however. The CPU is your computer's brain and most running software requires
    it at almost every step. I suggest doing some benchmark tests of your own to
    see how fast things run on your overclocked CPU vs when it's running
    normally. You may be surprised and find little difference (in which case
    don't overclock it and you probably shouldn't anyway).

    Larry Smith, Oct 17, 2003
  4. CTB

    CTB Guest

    Thanks, I do agree with what you both say about overclocking, but even at
    'standard' clock speeds is it still reasonably safe to allow the cpu to run
    at 100% for long periods of times? If the temp is running too high would
    the only option (other than adding better fans/heatsinks etc) be to
    underclock?

    CTB, Oct 18, 2003
  5. CTB

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 04:36:38 +1000, "CTB" <> wrote:

    >I am concerned about using an application that uses my CPU power at 100% for
    >long periods of time without a break (powerful mathematic/graphic processes
    >without a break for times in excess of 10 mins).

    Mine runs at 100% for weeks at a time, no problem, that's what it was designed
    for.

    > I am running a slightly overclocked athlon 2800+,

    That is up to you.

    >and I don't particularly like the idea of running
    >it at this power for long periods of time without a break. Is there a way
    >to regulate the cpu usage?

    no

    > I have looked in the task manager but haven't
    >been able to find anything.. (Windows 2000 Pro SP3) What is a safe temp.
    >for an athlon 2800+?

    I keep mine under 60c

    derek / nul, Oct 18, 2003
  6. CTB

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:07:00 +1000, "CTB" <> wrote:

    >Thanks, I do agree with what you both say about overclocking, but even at
    >'standard' clock speeds is it still reasonably safe to allow the cpu to run
    >at 100% for long periods of times? If the temp is running too high would
    >the only option (other than adding better fans/heatsinks etc) be to
    >underclock?

    yes

    derek / nul, Oct 18, 2003
  7. CTB

    Wizard Guest

    Running a CPU at 100% forever is not a problem as long a you don't
    exceed proper temps. Proper cooling is the key.

    Wizard, Oct 18, 2003
  8. CTB

    Larry Smith Guest

    > Thanks, I do agree with what you both say about overclocking, but even at
    > 'standard' clock speeds is it still reasonably safe to allow the cpu to

    run
    > at 100% for long periods of times? If the temp is running too high would
    > the only option (other than adding better fans/heatsinks etc) be to
    > underclock?

    As others have pointed out, you can run it at normal speed and temperature
    without worry. Put another way, I program for a living (20+ years) and have
    worked on servers that grind away 24 x 7 for months at a time with little
    break. I have never heard of a machine breaking down (ever) because its CPU
    gave out. Your hard drive is a far greater concern.

    Larry Smith, Oct 18, 2003