    How would this compare?

    Any other guidance on offer or recommendations?

    Many thanks.
    ib, Aug 29, 2006

  2. ib

    Brian Guest

    Check the specs on your processor at Intel
    Things that affect performance are:
    Amount of Cache Ram (L1 andL2)
    Number of pipelines (amount of processing that can be performed per clock
    cycle)
    Front side Bus speed and clock multiplier

    After checking out your specs then check out the specs in the chips you want
    to replace that one with. You will find that the AMD chips are much better
    at performance with lower "speed" than the Celeron That is why the Semperon
    is rated at 3GHz when it is really running at 1.8Ghz. This feature also
    allows teh chips to run cooler than Intel.
    You also have to have the correct motherboard if you are swapping chips. You
    cannot put an AMD chip on an Intel motherboard, the pin configuration is
    different

    There are other things that affect your computer speed as well. Your CPU may
    not be the culprit.

    Check your startup programs (usually have icons by the clock) If you have
    everything starting at startup then all those programs (waiting in standby)
    are sucking up the memory that could be used to run your active programs,
    thus making them faster and more efficient (run msconfig, if you are not
    familiar find someone who is)

    How fast is your harddrive? The rpm can range anywhere from 5400-10K and
    also the access time varies as well. Faster speed and acess time will make a
    vast improvement on how your programs respond Defragmenting the drive
    periodically will help somewhat s well. (accessories/system tools on start
    menu)

    Video plays an importamt role as well for graphics intensive programs
    (games, photo editing, etc) The more video ram your card has, the less your
    processor has to do for rendering..leaving more power to run your programs.

    Hope this helps answer your question..The best thing to do is get informed
    on what you have, what you need/want and what you want to spend to get
    there. Then upgrade. Most expensive is not always better
    Driving a Ferrari between stoplights is no better than a Yugo, but it looks
    cool!!!
    Brian, Sep 2, 2006