    I've encountered a similar problem on occasion, most often with
    Firefox being the problem. I can limp along if I can solve the
    startup problem.

    johnbg3, Mar 24, 2007

  2. johnbg3

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    johnbg3 wrote:
    > My computer, a Dell Dimension XPS T450 with an older PIII cpu, has a
    > startup problem whereby the cpu is running at 100% making it difficult
    > to do almost anything else. If I open Task Manager and shut down a
    > process called svchost.exe (System) that is running at close to 100%
    > the cpu drains and I can move on. This only started in the last few
    > days. Naturally, this is an old cpu that is being tasked heavily, and
    > I've encountered a similar problem on occasion, most often with
    > Firefox being the problem. I can limp along if I can solve the
    > startup problem.

    And your operating system is? You have how much memory?

    Wild shot:- try this link http://windowsxp.mvps.org/svchost.htm

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 24, 2007

  3. johnbg3

    Jerry G. Guest

    You should investigate to see what svchost is loading. You need svchost
    to be running for normal operations.

    It is possible that your computer has some malware that got in to the
    system, and it is taking up a lot of the resources, or you recently
    installed something that is using a lot of the resources.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Mar 24, 2007
  4. johnbg3

    johnbg3 Guest

    On Mar 24, 9:36 am, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > johnbg3 wrote:
    > > My computer, a Dell Dimension XPS T450 with an older PIII cpu, has a
    > > startup problem whereby the cpu is running at 100% making it difficult
    > > to do almost anything else. If I open Task Manager and shut down a
    > > process called svchost.exe (System) that is running at close to 100%
    > > the cpu drains and I can move on. This only started in the last few
    > > days. Naturally, this is an old cpu that is being tasked heavily, and
    > > I've encountered a similar problem on occasion, most often with
    > > Firefox being the problem. I can limp along if I can solve the
    > > startup problem.

    > And your operating system is? You have how much memory?
    >
    > Wild shot:- try this linkhttp://windowsxp.mvps.org/svchost.htm

    OS=Windows XP Pro, Memory=640MB

    johnbg3, Mar 25, 2007