CPU overheating at 60 degrees? Power supply failing?? help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kurrent@gmail.com, May 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm usually able to successfully pinpoint most problems on my pc, but
    this time I am really stuck!

    My PC (see system specs at bottom) has been running fine for the last
    18 months I've been using it and last night it, for the first time
    ever, it froze up completely, in the middle of doing some photoshop
    work and listening to music.

    I had to power off the computer and reboot it to regain
    'consciousness'. I resumed my photoshop work and winamp player and
    within 10 minutes, freeze again! Graphics on screen froze and music
    off!
    I immediately though, heat issue. I powered off, rebooted, check my
    temperatures in the BIOS and found:

    Case: 28 degrees.
    Cpu: 50 degress.

    (Fan RPM's were around 3000)

    While checking some other settings in the BIOS, i paged back to my
    screen displaying the temperatures and found that the case temp had
    dropped by one degree and the cpu dropped by a 2 more degrees. Seems
    normal to me.

    I booted back up, but on loading of my windows desktop, and installed
    motherboard monitor so I could actively monitor my temperatures.

    MBM showed case at 28'ish and CPU and 49'ish. I have never overclocked
    anything on my PC so I couldn't understand why anything would be
    overheating...especially under normal desktop usage.

    So I put my system under load to see what would happen...I ran every
    photo and video editing app on my system and watched my case
    temperature go up a degree and my CPU temp rise from 49 to 52...to
    56....to 59...freeze!

    Power off, boot up...system freezes at BIOS screen.

    Power off, try again....no signal to monitor at all, but system still
    powers up.

    (something is too hot i'm thinking)

    Power off, waited a minute, power on and checked temperatures in BIOS
    immediately. Case temp high 20's....CPU temp low 50's.

    Power off, case off, check the guts and everything looks fine. No
    sizzling, no smells....I felt around the case and nothing seemed
    excessively hot. I don't get it!

    It's been awhile and I'm not exactly up to speed on hardware all the
    time...but low 50's and high 50's of CPU temp may be "a tad" high...but
    nothing to the point where they would lock up a system and fry the CPU
    itself i would hope.

    Powered back on my PC on and while just idling in BIOS, i checked the
    back of my case to have a look at the power supply to make sure the fan
    was spinning (my BIOS doesn't report the rpm or temp of my power fan)
    and it was indeed spinning. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but
    although the fan is spinning, I can feel barely any warm air coming out
    of it at all (or any air for that matter..fan seems to be maybe
    spinning slower than others).

    I left my PC off for the remainder of the night and thought i'd have
    another crack at it this morning.

    Power on....system appears to power up fine, lights blinking...fans
    spinning, no beeping.....and signal to my monitor. Nothing now!

    So now, my computer powers up, but no signal at all to screen and no
    beeps.

    So i'm stuck and don't know where the problem lies.
    Leaving the computer off overnight since the problems and to have it
    not just work at all anymore 8 hours later is perplexing to me to say
    the least. Cpu? Video card? Power supply??

    Arrggh I have no idea now.

    Anyone.....anyone??

    System specs:
    ---------------
    gigabyte 8I-8145 motherboard
    Intel P4 2.8ghz
    1 gig ram 3200
    ATI radeon 9600 pro
    120gig seagate ata hd
    300W power supply

    , May 26, 2006

  2. Paragraph Guest

    Well, your specs are a tad vauge, if you can supply me with the core of
    the processor (go to cpuid.com and download CPU-Z) i can be 100% sure
    if your running hot.

    60c isn't too teriibly hot, but if you have a Willemette or even a
    Northwood you could be triggering a motherboard failsafe etc.

    If you have a spare Graphics board install it, your 9600 might be
    over-heating because of a bad conection with the heatsink/fan etc If
    you don't try re-seating the board in the AGP slot, it might just be a
    bad connection.

    That should solve the video issue, if that dosn't do anything then try
    another monitor.

    Paragraph, May 26, 2006

  3. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-26, <> wrote:
    > I'm usually able to successfully pinpoint most problems on my pc, but
    > this time I am really stuck!
    >
    > My PC (see system specs at bottom) has been running fine for the last
    > 18 months I've been using it and last night it, for the first time
    > ever, it froze up completely, in the middle of doing some photoshop
    > work and listening to music.

    snip

    > Arrggh I have no idea now.
    >
    > Anyone.....anyone??
    >

    > System specs:
    > ---------------
    > gigabyte 8I-8145 motherboard
    > Intel P4 2.8ghz
    > 1 gig ram 3200
    > ATI radeon 9600 pro
    > 120gig seagate ata hd
    > 300W power supply

    If that video is a PCI card, and your motherboard has a video chipset of
    its own, could you remove the video card and try the built-in video
    instead?

    Likewise, try removing all the RAM cards and trying each one in turn.

    Presumably you have checked for and removed all dust and fluff in airways
    and in the slots of all heat-sinks, as well as inside the power supply.
    (Use a can of 'compressed air' to blow through the fans etc; be ready for a
    /lot/ of dust!).

    Cooling fans can and do go wrong; if the system temperature is anywhere
    near 'hot' the main CPU cooling fan, at least, should be spinning very
    fast.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 26, 2006
  4. pancho Guest

    wrote:

> [...]
    > and it was indeed spinning. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but
    > although the fan is spinning, I can feel barely any warm air coming out
    > of it at all (or any air for that matter..fan seems to be maybe
    > spinning slower than others).
    >
    > I left my PC off for the remainder of the night and thought i'd have
    > another crack at it this morning.
    >
    > Power on....system appears to power up fine, lights blinking...fans
    > spinning, no beeping.....and signal to my monitor. Nothing now!
    >
    > So now, my computer powers up, but no signal at all to screen and no
    > beeps.
    >
    > So i'm stuck and don't know where the problem lies.
    > Leaving the computer off overnight since the problems and to have it
    > not just work at all anymore 8 hours later is perplexing to me to say
    > the least. Cpu? Video card? Power supply??

    Dell is aware of this problem in some GX-270 motherboards. Nothing is
    overheated but overtemp is reported and renders the computer unusable.
    Dell has replaced motherboards in several of our enterprise computers which
    corrected this issue. There was also a bad batch of electrolytic
    capacitors used on some boards which are failing. You should contact Dell
    on this issue as there is no recall of these boards, problems are being
    handled on a case-by-case basis since not all boards are failing. Models
    other than the GX-270 may also be affected. Good Luck.

    pancho, May 27, 2006
  5. wrote:

    > I'm usually able to successfully pinpoint most problems on my pc, but
    > this time I am really stuck!
    >
    > My PC (see system specs at bottom) has been running fine for the last
    > 18 months I've been using it and last night it, for the first time
    > ever, it froze up completely, in the middle of doing some photoshop
    > work and listening to music.

    > System specs:
    > ---------------
    > gigabyte 8I-8145 motherboard
    > Intel P4 2.8ghz
    > 1 gig ram 3200
    > ATI radeon 9600 pro
    > 120gig seagate ata hd
    > 300W power supply

    Have a close look at the graphic card and it's small fan. Reseat the card,
    eventually change it for a spare one.
    Another look at the capacitors round your cpu heatsink would be fine ... any
    one bulged or leaking?

    Walter Mautner, May 27, 2006
  6. Guest

    well, problem fixed.

    tried swapping the PSU, no luck.

    replaced the motherboard. powered up, everything working fine

    (also, after reinstalling cpu and heatsink with new coat of thermal
    compound, cpu is running in low 40's to mid 50's under high load)

    , May 28, 2006