CPU or motherboard problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by flambe, Mar 8, 2008.

  1. flambe

    flambe Guest

    I am not new to building computers.
    This has me stumped, as well as hacked.
    I just assembled an Intel Quad Core 2.4ghz in an AsusP5ke motherboard. Only
    the Video card and RAM are installed.
    Taking out/switching the RAM sticks makes no difference.
    Case and CPU fans spin up for a few seconds then all dies. This suggests the
    CPU/mobo is not getting past the Power Good Signal part of the boot process.
    There are no shorts or inadvertent grounds that I can see. AMD motherboards
    installed in the same case and wiring harnesses work fine.
    Changing the power supply makes no difference, and both power supplies work
    perfectly with other mobo/CPU combos, albeit AMD systems. These are not
    cheapie came with the case power supplies but Cooler Masters of more than
    sufficient wattage for the minimal components installed to this point. To
    the best of my not unlimited knowledge AMD and Intel processors work the
    same with regard to a Power Good signal.
    The Asus mobo has an LED that lights up signalling the mobo is getting
    power.
    Unfortunately I do not have another motherboard to trial the CPU and vice
    versa (but I have several AMD systems, hand assembled with no hiccoughs
    ever).
    I have already arranged to exchange the CPU but could it be the motherboard?

    flambe, Mar 8, 2008

  2. flambe

    Neil Green Guest

    "flambe" <> wrote in message
    >I am not new to building computers.
    > This has me stumped, as well as hacked.
    > I just assembled an Intel Quad Core 2.4ghz in an
    > AsusP5ke motherboard. Only the Video card and RAM
    > are installed.
    > Taking out/switching the RAM sticks makes no
    > difference.
    > Case and CPU fans spin up for a few seconds then all
    > dies. This suggests the CPU/mobo is not getting past
    > the Power Good Signal part of the boot process.
    > There are no shorts or inadvertent grounds that I
    > can see. AMD motherboards installed in the same case
    > and wiring harnesses work fine.
    > Changing the power supply makes no difference, and
    > both power supplies work perfectly with other
    > mobo/CPU combos, albeit AMD systems. These are not
    > cheapie came with the case power supplies but Cooler
    > Masters of more than sufficient wattage for the
    > minimal components installed to this point. To the
    > best of my not unlimited knowledge AMD and Intel
    > processors work the same with regard to a Power
    > Good signal.
    > The Asus mobo has an LED that lights up signalling
    > the mobo is getting power.
    > Unfortunately I do not have another motherboard to
    > trial the CPU and vice versa (but I have several AMD
    > systems, hand assembled with no hiccoughs ever).
    > I have already arranged to exchange the CPU but
    > could it be the motherboard?

    This may seem obvious, but have you overlooked a 12V
    connector on the board which provides additional power
    for the CPU?

    Neil Green, Mar 8, 2008

  3. flambe

    Baron Guest

    flambe wrote:

    > I am not new to building computers.
    > This has me stumped, as well as hacked.
    > I just assembled an Intel Quad Core 2.4ghz in an AsusP5ke motherboard.
    > Only the Video card and RAM are installed.
    > Taking out/switching the RAM sticks makes no difference.
    > Case and CPU fans spin up for a few seconds then all dies. This
    > suggests the CPU/mobo is not getting past the Power Good Signal part
    > of the boot process. There are no shorts or inadvertent grounds that I
    > can see. AMD motherboards installed in the same case and wiring
    > harnesses work fine. Changing the power supply makes no difference,
    > and both power supplies work perfectly with other mobo/CPU combos,
    > albeit AMD systems. These are not cheapie came with the case power
    > supplies but Cooler Masters of more than sufficient wattage for the
    > minimal components installed to this point. To the best of my not
    > unlimited knowledge AMD and Intel processors work the
    > same with regard to a Power Good signal.
    > The Asus mobo has an LED that lights up signalling the mobo is getting
    > power.
    > Unfortunately I do not have another motherboard to trial the CPU and
    > vice versa (but I have several AMD systems, hand assembled with no
    > hiccoughs ever).
    > I have already arranged to exchange the CPU but could it be the
    > motherboard?

    Some motherboards have the BIOS battery jumper in the wipe position!
    This will cause the symptom you have as well.

    Neil. Good one ! you bet me to that one. ;-)
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008
  4. flambe

    flambe Guest

    It was the second power connector! Thank you so much.

    flambe, Mar 8, 2008
  5. flambe

    Baron Guest

    flambe wrote:

    > It was the second power connector! Thank you so much.

    Good one Neil, spot on!

    Thanks for letting us know.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008
  6. flambe

    Neil Green Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote
    in message
    > flambe wrote:
    >
    >> It was the second power connector! Thank you so
    >> much.

    > Good one Neil, spot on!

    Only because I've done the same myself Baron.
    Experience is a good teacher.

    Neil Green, Mar 8, 2008