    anything that is in the area that might make noise.

    Very odd, any help is appreciated.

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Rider

    SNOman Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    news:bhpiga$ul5$...
    > Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its making

    what
    > sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for you but its hard

    > spell LOL
    >
    > It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of work,

    when
    > the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've stripped the laptop
    > down and localised the noise to where the cpu is and cant really think of
    > anything that is in the area that might make noise.
    >
    > Very odd, any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Rider

    What brand of laptop?

    SNOman, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "SNOman" <> wrote in message
    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its making

    > what
    > > sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for you but its hard

    > > spell LOL
    > >
    > > It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of work,

    > when
    > > the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've stripped the

    laptop
    > > down and localised the noise to where the cpu is and cant really think

    of
    > > anything that is in the area that might make noise.
    > >
    > > Very odd, any help is appreciated.
    > >
    > > Rider
    > >

    > What brand of laptop?

    Compaq Presario 700. Mobile Duron 1100

    Rider, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Rider

    SNOman Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "SNOman" <> wrote in message
    > > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > > > Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its

    making
    > > what
    > > > sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for you but its

    hard
    > > > spell LOL
    > > >
    > > > It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of work,

    > > when
    > > > the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've stripped the

    > laptop
    > > > down and localised the noise to where the cpu is and cant really think

    > of
    > > > anything that is in the area that might make noise.
    > > >
    > > > Very odd, any help is appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Rider
    > > >

    > > What brand of laptop?
    > > >

    > Compaq Presario 700. Mobile Duron 1100

    I had kind of a similar problem with an ASUS. It was actually the fan
    associated with the ducted CPU cooling system which sits near the CPU
    itself. It only kicks in under high CPU load and it had shifted just enough
    on it's axle to allow the blades to clip part of the casing. A simple fan
    change fixed it.

    SNOman, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "SNOman" <> wrote in message

    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "SNOman" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > making
    > > > what

    > hard

    work,
    > > > when

    > > laptop

    think
    > > of

    > > > What brand of laptop?
    > > > >

    > > Compaq Presario 700. Mobile Duron 1100
    > >

    > I had kind of a similar problem with an ASUS. It was actually the fan
    > associated with the ducted CPU cooling system which sits near the CPU
    > itself. It only kicks in under high CPU load and it had shifted just

    enough
    > on it's axle to allow the blades to clip part of the casing. A simple fan
    > change fixed it.

    Yeah I thought about that also, but it makes this noise when the fan isnt
    going :-(
    Thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 18, 2003
  6. Rider

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "SNOman" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "SNOman" <> wrote in message

    > > making

    its
    > > hard

    > work,
    > > > laptop

    > think
    > > > of

    > > > Compaq Presario 700. Mobile Duron 1100
    > > >

    > > I had kind of a similar problem with an ASUS. It was actually the fan
    > > associated with the ducted CPU cooling system which sits near the CPU
    > > itself. It only kicks in under high CPU load and it had shifted just

    > enough
    > > on it's axle to allow the blades to clip part of the casing. A simple

    fan
    > > change fixed it.
    > >

    > Yeah I thought about that also, but it makes this noise when the fan isnt
    > going :-(
    > Thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

    Thermal compound boiling/bubbling/shifting? Expansion of the cpu in relation
    to the heatsink or socket/PCB? Aliens?

    I'm all out of ideas now.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 18, 2003
  7. Rider

    Jason M Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:51:58 +1200, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its making what
    >sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for you but its hard to
    >spell LOL
    >
    >It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of work, when
    >the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've stripped the laptop
    >down and localised the noise to where the cpu is and cant really think of
    >anything that is in the area that might make noise.
    >
    >Very odd, any help is appreciated.

    Use a stethoscope to find exactly where the noise is coming from. If
    you don't have one, get a piece of plastic tubing and listen through
    that.

    Jason M, Aug 18, 2003
  8. Rider

    back again Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
    > From: "Nicholas Sherlock" <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > Rider wrote:
    >> Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its
    >> making what sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for
    >> you but its hard to spell LOL
    >>
    >> It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of
    >> work, when the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've
    >> stripped the laptop down and localised the noise to where the cpu is
    >> and cant really think of anything that is in the area that might make
    >> noise.
    >>
    >> Very odd, any help is appreciated.

    > May be coming from the sound card. On my laptop you can "hear" the CPU
    > working through the speakers. High workload = high power consumption
    > and the sound chip doesn't cope with the tiny ripples.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    At least one model of Compaq had that problem (design fault). I would
    suspect that if the sound "comes from the CPU" that it might actually be a
    nearby capaciter, having a CPU make noise would be really, really weird!

    back again, Aug 19, 2003
  9. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    > > Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its
    > > making what sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for
    > > you but its hard to spell LOL
    > >
    > > It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of
    > > work, when the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've
    > > stripped the laptop down and localised the noise to where the cpu is
    > > and cant really think of anything that is in the area that might make
    > > noise.
    > >
    > > Very odd, any help is appreciated.

    > May be coming from the sound card. On my laptop you can "hear" the CPU
    > working through the speakers. High workload = high power consumption and

    the
    > sound chip doesn't cope with the tiny ripples.

    I thought you might be on to something so downloaded the latest drivers etc,
    damn noise is still there.
    Everything works ok, but the sound is just annoying LOL. I unplugged the
    speakers, and the sound is still there .... comes from right around the
    processor.

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 19, 2003
  10. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "back again" <> wrote in message
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
    > > From: "Nicholas Sherlock" <>
    > > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    > >
    > > Rider wrote:
    > >> Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its
    > >> making what sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for
    > >> you but its hard to spell LOL
    > >>
    > >> It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of
    > >> work, when the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've
    > >> stripped the laptop down and localised the noise to where the cpu is
    > >> and cant really think of anything that is in the area that might make
    > >> noise.
    > >>
    > >> Very odd, any help is appreciated.

    > > May be coming from the sound card. On my laptop you can "hear" the CPU
    > > working through the speakers. High workload = high power consumption
    > > and the sound chip doesn't cope with the tiny ripples.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Nicholas Sherlock
    > >

    > At least one model of Compaq had that problem (design fault). I would
    > suspect that if the sound "comes from the CPU" that it might actually be a
    > nearby capaciter, having a CPU make noise would be really, really weird!

    And I suppose there is no fix for this, any idea?

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 19, 2003
  11. Rider

    back again Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
    > From: "Rider" <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >

    > "back again" <> wrote in message
    >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
    >> > From: "Nicholas Sherlock" <>
    >> > Newsgroups: nz.comp

    >> > May be coming from the sound card. On my laptop you can "hear" the
    >> > CPU working through the speakers. High workload = high power
    >> > consumption and the sound chip doesn't cope with the tiny ripples.
    >> >
    >> > Cheers,
    >> > Nicholas Sherlock
    >> >

    >> At least one model of Compaq had that problem (design fault). I would
    >> suspect that if the sound "comes from the CPU" that it might actually
    >> be a nearby capaciter, having a CPU make noise would be really,
    >> really weird!

    > And I suppose there is no fix for this, any idea?
    >
    > Rider

    Turn it off? Sorry, no.

    back again, Aug 19, 2003
  12. Rider

    Rider Guest

    > Turn it off? Sorry, no.

    Yep well I think I am going to have to admit defeat on this one. Not
    something I either do very often or like doing but it has me stumped. I
    think I will just sell the guy some earplugs :)

    Thanks all who had some idea's ... it is appreciated.

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 19, 2003
  13. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its making

    what
    > sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for you but its hard

    > spell LOL
    >
    > It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of work,

    when
    > the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've stripped the laptop
    > down and localised the noise to where the cpu is and cant really think of
    > anything that is in the area that might make noise.
    >
    > Very odd, any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Rider

    Just been talking to an electronics bloke I know about this. (Electronics
    arent quite my thing)

    He said it would be a mechanically made noise as capacitors dont make noise.
    We looked at the motherboard and there are two small transformers near the
    processor socket. He summised that the ferrite core's are possibly wobblying
    very slightly, failing that they are making the noise somehow .... but the
    transformers are the most likely cause.

    Seeing I have no answers for it, I'm gonna go with what he said : D

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 19, 2003
  14. Rider

    back again Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
    > From: "Rider" <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >

    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its
    >> making

    > what
    >> sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for you but its
    >> hard

    >> spell LOL
    >>
    >> It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of
    >> work,

    > when
    >> the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've stripped the
    >> laptop down and localised the noise to where the cpu is and cant
    >> really think of anything that is in the area that might make noise.
    >>
    >> Very odd, any help is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > Just been talking to an electronics bloke I know about this.
    > (Electronics arent quite my thing)
    >
    > He said it would be a mechanically made noise as capacitors dont make
    > noise.

    Hmmm... I'm sure I've had capacitors making high pitched whines before
    (sort of like the noise all TV sets and CRTs make), but if he says so...

    back again, Aug 19, 2003
  15. Rider

    colinco Guest

    In article <Xns93DCBB68D2FC0backnowherecom@130.133.1.4>, back again
    wrote...
    > Hmmm... I'm sure I've had capacitors making high pitched whines before
    > (sort of like the noise all TV sets and CRTs make), but if he says so...

    He'd be wrong..

    "All dielectric materials deform under the stress of an electric
    field. This electrostrictive effect is proportional to the square of
    the electric field intensity. Some dielectrics exhibit an additional
    piezoelectric effect, which is a linear displacement proportional
    to the electric field intensity. The piezoelectric effect is usually
    the dominant mechanism that produces noise from the capacitors."

    colinco, Aug 19, 2003
  16. Rider

    back again Guest

    colinco <> wrote in news:MPG.19acbe2a750597899897e6
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
    > From: colinco <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > In article <Xns93DCBB68D2FC0backnowherecom@130.133.1.4>, back again
    > wrote...
    >> Hmmm... I'm sure I've had capacitors making high pitched whines before
    >> (sort of like the noise all TV sets and CRTs make), but if he says so...
    >>

    > He'd be wrong..
    >
    > "All dielectric materials deform under the stress of an electric
    > field. This electrostrictive effect is proportional to the square of
    > the electric field intensity. Some dielectrics exhibit an additional
    > piezoelectric effect, which is a linear displacement proportional
    > to the electric field intensity. The piezoelectric effect is usually
    > the dominant mechanism that produces noise from the capacitors."

    Oh good -

    I'm not going mad then :)

    Thanks

    back again, Aug 19, 2003
  17. Rider

    Andrew Guest

    Is that meaning audible noise, or signal noise?

    Andrew, Aug 19, 2003
  18. Rider

    Rider Guest

    > Hmmm... I'm sure I've had capacitors making high pitched whines before
    > (sort of like the noise all TV sets and CRTs make), but if he says so...

    Well he said "I have never had a capacitor make a noise before".
    So I suppose that doesnt mean it isnt possible. But he has been doing it a
    very long time.

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 20, 2003