    Any advice is appreciated.

    Best Regards,
    Sun Guonian

    Sun Guonian, Nov 6, 2003

  2. "Sun Guonian" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > I installed two ACLs on one FastEthernet interface of our cisco3640,
    > one ACL has no more than 80 items for in-bound, and another has
    > about 40 items for out-bound. When the traffic reach 10000 packet
    > per second, the CPU is 100% usage. and the console port is died.
    >
    > I want to know where is the upper limit(pps) of the CPU processing
    > ability with or without the ACLs.
    >
    > And what is recommended upper limit of CPU usage for a 3640 router?
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Sun Guonian

    process switching : 4000 pack.
    Fast/CEF switching : 50-70.000 pack.
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

    i too have the same problem with a 3640 that does some NATning(static and
    dynamic)
    and per-packige switching.

    Try to post an : sh proc cpu
    like to see it.

    --
    mvh

    Martin

    Martin Damberg, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Sun Guonian

    Sun Guonian Guest

    Martin Damberg wrote:

    > "Sun Guonian" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > I installed two ACLs on one FastEthernet interface of our cisco3640,
    > > one ACL has no more than 80 items for in-bound, and another has
    > > about 40 items for out-bound. When the traffic reach 10000 packet
    > > per second, the CPU is 100% usage. and the console port is died.
    > >
    > > I want to know where is the upper limit(pps) of the CPU processing
    > > ability with or without the ACLs.
    > >
    > > And what is recommended upper limit of CPU usage for a 3640 router?
    > >
    > > Any advice is appreciated.
    > >
    > > Best Regards,
    > > Sun Guonian

    > process switching : 4000 pack.
    > Fast/CEF switching : 50-70.000 pack.
    > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

    thanks!

    > i too have the same problem with a 3640 that does some NATning(static and
    > dynamic)
    > and per-packige switching.
    >
    > Try to post an : sh proc cpu
    > like to see it.

    sorry. since my console is died, it didn't response for any key strike.
    I couldn't record the cpu load, but after I pull out the RJ45 of outer
    interface, I could show the interface,

    > mvh
    >
    > Martin

    Best Regards,
    Sun guonian

    Sun Guonian, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Sun Guonian

    Paul Day Guest

    Sun Guonian <> wrote:
    > sorry. since my console is died, it didn't response for any key strike.
    > I couldn't record the cpu load, but after I pull out the RJ45 of outer
    > interface, I could show the interface,
    > 5 minute input rate 8513000 bits/sec, 9377 packets/sec
    > 5 minute output rate 34865000 bits/sec, 9509 packets/sec

    That's about right for a 3640 with a bunch of ACLs. I've seen them peak
    at 45Mb/s (mainly big packets) while still having a mish-mash of ACLs
    applied. Quite impressive really.

    PD

    --
    Paul Day Web: www.bur.st/~bonfire GPG Key ID: 2EF4ED23

    Paul Day, Nov 7, 2003
  5. On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:22:07 +0800, Sun Guonian wrote:
    > I installed two ACLs on one FastEthernet interface of our cisco3640,
    > one ACL has no more than 80 items for in-bound, and another has
    > about 40 items for out-bound. When the traffic reach 10000 packet
    > per second, the CPU is 100% usage. and the console port is died.
    >
    > I want to know where is the upper limit(pps) of the CPU processing
    > ability with or without the ACLs.
    >
    > And what is recommended upper limit of CPU usage for a 3640 router?

    Try compiles ACL's, it might help somewhat.

    --
    Jesper Skriver, CCIE #5456, FreeBSD committer

    Jesper Skriver, Nov 8, 2003
  6. Sun Guonian

    Adam Hill Guest

    Paul Day wrote:

    > Sun Guonian <> wrote:
    >> sorry. since my console is died, it didn't response for any key
    >> strike. I couldn't record the cpu load, but after I pull out the
    >> RJ45 of outer interface, I could show the interface,
    >> 5 minute input rate 8513000 bits/sec, 9377 packets/sec
    >> 5 minute output rate 34865000 bits/sec, 9509 packets/sec

    > That's about right for a 3640 with a bunch of ACLs. I've seen them
    > peak at 45Mb/s (mainly big packets) while still having a mish-mash
    > of ACLs applied. Quite impressive really.

    Try doing the same with a 600 quid Linux box and tell me if you still
    think that the 3640 is impressive ;-).

    --
    Sig demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass...

    Adam Hill, Nov 8, 2003
  7. Sun Guonian

    Sun Guonian Guest

    Jesper Skriver wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:22:07 +0800, Sun Guonian wrote:
    > > I installed two ACLs on one FastEthernet interface of our cisco3640,
    > > one ACL has no more than 80 items for in-bound, and another has
    > > about 40 items for out-bound. When the traffic reach 10000 packet
    > > per second, the CPU is 100% usage. and the console port is died.
    > >
    > > I want to know where is the upper limit(pps) of the CPU processing
    > > ability with or without the ACLs.
    > >
    > > And what is recommended upper limit of CPU usage for a 3640 router?

    > Try compiles ACL's, it might help somewhat.

    Yes. after compile ACL, it works.

    Another question is what is the recommended value of CPU load percentage
    for production environment.

    Sun Guonian, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Sun Guonian

    Andre Beck Guest

    Sun Guonian <> writes:
    > Jesper Skriver wrote:
    > >
    > > Try compiles ACL's, it might help somewhat.

    > Yes. after compile ACL, it works.

    With an 80 line ACL, compiled ACLs really help. Of course you can still
    overload that router, but not as easy. You might also check whether
    your route caching method is suboptimal - ACLs perform way better when
    they only need to be executed per flow instead of per packet. This of
    course also depends on IOS feature set and version.

    > Another question is what is the recommended value of CPU load percentage
    > for production environment.

    Cisco sees 60% load as the critical margin. If RTTs are not really a
    problem to you, this is Ok. If they are, you should try to achieve way
    lower average loads - keeping it below 30% is a good idea. How to get
    there is very dependend on model, load and configuration. The 3640 is
    fixed in the supplied CPU power, so if nothing else (CEF, flow caching,
    compiled ACLs, simpler line protocols, no policy routing, decent IGP)
    helps, replacing it by something with more CPU might be the only option
    that remains. A 3660 comes to mind (when staying "in class").

    --
    The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

    -> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-

    Andre Beck, Nov 12, 2003