    curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years old

    tia

    brian

    Tivo, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Tivo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-01-17, Tivo <> wrote:
    > Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
    >
    > I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
    > seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
    >
    > curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years old
    >

    > tia
    >
    > brian

    I doubt if the CPU itself is making any noise. The cooling fan attached
    to the heat-sink attached to the CPU may be noisy; they can and do wear
    out.

    When did you last blow through the heatsink with a can of compressed air?

    Make sure that there are no cables fouling any of the fans.

    Are you sure that the noise isn't coming from the hard disc? That could
    indicate that the hard disc is in serious trouble - so back up everything
    you want to keep!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Tivo

    totsob Guest

    Tivo wrote:

    > Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
    >
    > I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
    > seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
    >
    > curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years
    > old
    >

    > tia
    >
    > brian

    The processor doesn't make a sound. Possibly it is the cooling fan on top of
    the processor. Other than that it would have to be something else another
    fan or hard drive. Any other symptoms?

    totsob, Jan 17, 2007
  4. Tivo

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Tivo wrote:
    > Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
    >
    > I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
    > seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
    >
    > curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years old
    >

    > tia
    >
    > brian

    I don't have to ask if you've backed up the disk drive, do I?

    Rick Merrill, Jan 17, 2007
  5. Tivo

    Tivo Guest

    only in the last 6 months.

    you think he is going on spin cycle? lol because he is 6 months old.

    i was curious where the sound was comming from,

    i will do a backup now, my extra is only an 80 though, the thing is, i have
    to pull the case, (tower) and it is in a very odd area. to throw it on a
    slave and do it.

    thanks

    guys
    gals.

    Tivo, Jan 17, 2007
  6. Tivo

    PeeCee Guest

    "Tivo" <> wrote in message
    > Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
    >
    > I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
    > seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
    >
    > curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years
    > old
    >

    > tia
    >
    > brian

    Check each fan by stopping it rotating till you find the one causing the
    noise.
    Fans to look for are
    Power supply, CPU, motherboard Chipset, Graphics card and of course case
    fan(s).
    Of these the Graphics card one is the one most folk miss as it is mounted
    underneath the plug in card in a tower case.

    Other possibilities are:
    A hard drive with noisy bearings, backup quick, CD/DVD drive
    Somewhat rarer but it has been known for motherboard switch mode voltage
    regulators to vibrate at an audible frequency, this is usually loose
    windings on the ferrite rings and can be stopped by touching the windings
    with an insualted probe, a touch of glue will usually fix those.

    best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 17, 2007
  7. Tivo

    Tivo Guest

    thanks, i am going to back up the hard drive i have an extra but for the
    life of me, i did all the fan things as you guys described and was smart
    enough to check the graphics fan before i posted.

    sometimes the noise goes away. it's like it is making 1000 copies on a copy
    machine, so to be safe i will just back it up. i know it is systematic, so
    maybe i should unplug the HD, with the power on and see if the noise stops?

    just narrowing it down. thanks everyone for your help.

    bri

    Tivo, Jan 17, 2007
  8. Tivo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-01-17, Tivo <> wrote:
    > thanks, i am going to back up the hard drive i have an extra but for the
    > life of me, i did all the fan things as you guys described and was smart
    > enough to check the graphics fan before i posted.
    >
    > sometimes the noise goes away. it's like it is making 1000 copies on a copy
    > machine, so to be safe i will just back it up. i know it is systematic, so
    > maybe i should unplug the HD, with the power on and see if the noise stops?

    snip

    Before you do that, make sure that your affairs are in order, and in case
    you survive you may want to have a new computer set up ready to replace
    the one you are just about write off.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 18, 2007
  9. Tivo

    Otter Guest

    In news:,
    Whiskers <> typed:
    > On 2007-01-17, Tivo <> wrote:
    >> thanks, i am going to back up the hard drive i have an extra but for
    >> the life of me, i did all the fan things as you guys described and
    >> was smart enough to check the graphics fan before i posted.
    >>
    >> sometimes the noise goes away. it's like it is making 1000 copies on
    >> a copy machine, so to be safe i will just back it up. i know it is
    >> systematic, so maybe i should unplug the HD, with the power on and
    >> see if the noise stops?

    > snip
    >
    > Before you do that, make sure that your affairs are in order, and in
    > case you survive you may want to have a new computer set up ready to
    > replace the one you are just about write off.

    Come on! He's only unplugging the HD, not the EHT of a CRT...

    Otter, Jan 18, 2007
  10. Tivo

    Tivo Guest

    LOL< i have a laptop, 2 towers sitting next to me.

    i figured it out, it is the graphics cards fan. he doesnt like his ball
    bearings after i blew him, with the can that is. not in the can. (sarcastic)

    so let him go till next pay day and i will get a new one because it is only
    64, i should shoot higher. then the game purchases begin again.

    thanks alot guys.

    ps: the tower is in a bad location, so it was har dto actually see the fan
    but i got to it. thanks again

    Tivo, Jan 18, 2007
  11. Tivo

    Otter Guest

    In news:,
    Tivo <> typed:
    > LOL< i have a laptop, 2 towers sitting next to me.
    >
    > i figured it out, it is the graphics cards fan. he doesnt like his
    > ball bearings after i blew him, with the can that is. not in the can.
    > (sarcastic)
    > so let him go till next pay day and i will get a new one because it
    > is only 64, i should shoot higher. then the game purchases begin
    > again.

    A new card? If the current one is ok, why not just replace the fan? A lot
    cheaper.

    If you go for a new card, make sure it is compatible with your current MB,
    and your power supply is ok.

    Otter, Jan 18, 2007