CPU Heat

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 19, 2004.

  1. ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 19, 2004

  2. ..Waylon Smithers..

    Kerry Guest

    ...Waylon Smithers.. wrote:

    > Which generates more heat: The surface of any modern, working computer
    > chip
    > or the nuclear blast of a one-megaton bomb a mile away from ground zero?
    >
    > The answer: They both produce about the same amount of heat — about 100
    > watts per square centimeter.

    Why are you using watts per centimeter in conjunction with an obsolete term
    like mile? Was that just to make the maths more difficult?

    Why don't you reproduce the whole calculation so that we can check that
    you have the math right?

    How much energy does a one-megaton (or is that tonne) bomb release?
    And how much is absorb by the ground?
    And wouldn't it depend on the height at which the bomb was detonated?

    Kerry, Sep 19, 2004

  3. > Why are you using watts per centimeter in conjunction with an
    > obsolete term like mile? Was that just to make the maths more
    > difficult?
    > Why don't you reproduce the whole calculation so that we can check
    > that you have the math right?
    > How much energy does a one-megaton (or is that tonne) bomb release?
    > And how much is absorb by the ground?
    > And wouldn't it depend on the height at which the bomb was detonated?

    It was an interesting article found, with discussions from Intel and
    Honeywell Electronic Materials.

    Maybe you should point your questions to them ?

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 19, 2004