    sound). It's just that when it really gets cranking, it makes a lot of
    noise. Thanks.

    , Nov 1, 2004

  2. Mike Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The CPU fan that came with my P4 3.2 Gz processor is getting noisy.
    > It's only about eight months old. Can anyone recommend a good, QUIET
    > CPU fan for this chip? I see a lot of fans on eBay for the CPU, but I
    > want to be sure I get a quiet one. I have five fans in my system and
    > this one is the only one making any noise. It doesn't sound like a
    > bearing is going (I had that happen with a case fan so I know the
    > sound). It's just that when it really gets cranking, it makes a lot of
    > noise. Thanks.

    Antec makes quiet fans. But for a P4 3.2GHz chip, you might consider an
    aftermarket cooling solution. Thermaltake Volcano's have variable fan speed
    controllers and they run pretty cool, you can turn it down so it's quiet
    enough and still stays cool.

    Mike, Nov 1, 2004

  3. Guest

    Thanks for that info. As I'm sitting here, the fan has quieted down
    somewhat. I guess these fans are varialble speed. What makes the speed
    change? I imagine it's the temperature, but is there a way to control
    it within the system?

    ><> wrote in message
    >> The CPU fan that came with my P4 3.2 Gz processor is getting noisy.
    >> It's only about eight months old. Can anyone recommend a good, QUIET
    >> CPU fan for this chip? I see a lot of fans on eBay for the CPU, but I
    >> want to be sure I get a quiet one. I have five fans in my system and
    >> this one is the only one making any noise. It doesn't sound like a
    >> bearing is going (I had that happen with a case fan so I know the
    >> sound). It's just that when it really gets cranking, it makes a lot of
    >> noise. Thanks.
    >>

    >Antec makes quiet fans. But for a P4 3.2GHz chip, you might consider an
    >aftermarket cooling solution. Thermaltake Volcano's have variable fan speed
    >controllers and they run pretty cool, you can turn it down so it's quiet
    >enough and still stays cool.

    , Nov 1, 2004
  4. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    01 Nov 2004 01:15:42 -0500, screamed from behind
    the mulberry bush:

    > Thanks for that info. As I'm sitting here, the fan has quieted down
    >somewhat. I guess these fans are varialble speed. What makes the speed
    >change? I imagine it's the temperature, but is there a way to control
    >it within the system?

    Here's a website for you. Go nuts.

    http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/index.html

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 1, 2004
  5. wrote:
    > The CPU fan that came with my P4 3.2 Gz processor is getting noisy.
    > It's only about eight months old. Can anyone recommend a good, QUIET
    > CPU fan for this chip? I see a lot of fans on eBay for the CPU, but I
    > want to be sure I get a quiet one. I have five fans in my system and
    > this one is the only one making any noise. It doesn't sound like a
    > bearing is going (I had that happen with a case fan so I know the
    > sound). It's just that when it really gets cranking, it makes a lot of
    > noise. Thanks.

    Old tooth brush and clean the dam thing.

    Trai' La' Trash, Nov 1, 2004
  6. wrote:

    > The CPU fan that came with my P4 3.2 Gz processor is getting noisy.
    > It's only about eight months old. Can anyone recommend a good, QUIET
    > CPU fan for this chip? I see a lot of fans on eBay for the CPU, but I
    > want to be sure I get a quiet one. I have five fans in my system and
    > this one is the only one making any noise. It doesn't sound like a
    > bearing is going (I had that happen with a case fan so I know the
    > sound). It's just that when it really gets cranking, it makes a lot of
    > noise. Thanks.

    You may want to blow&brush out the dust from in between the cooler fingers.
    Get a "compressed air" spray and a smooth brush.
    If possible, dismount the fan from the cooler so you get better access.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Nov 1, 2004
  7. Bill P Guest

    Have a look here

    http://www.quietpc.com/

    Bill P, Nov 1, 2004
  8. Dan Evans Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > The CPU fan that came with my P4 3.2 Gz processor is getting noisy.

    Strip it down (as in remove from the motherboard and take the fan off the
    heatsink) and clean it. Generally makes a surprising difference. If it's
    still noisy, check out one of the overclockers sites and see what fans they
    recommend.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 2, 2004