    fan problem above. Any help appreciated.

    TIA

    , Nov 12, 2007

  2. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-11-12, <> wrote:
    > My CPU fan is switching off. I had an initial problem with my Asus A8N
    > Nvidia Nforce4 SLi chip fan not coming on when my PC booted up, I
    > managed to sort that out by taking the Motherboard out and taking the
    > fan off and putting a little WD40 on to it. After putting the
    > Motherboard back into the case and reconnecting everything I kept the
    > side off the case and noticed all fans were spinning but after about
    > 15 secs the CPU fan turns off. One thing I have noticed though and not
    > sure if it's connected, if I only connect the 24 pin ATX power
    > connector and keep the 4 pin 12v ATX connector off the fan spins all
    > the time but I cannot switch the PC off without pulling the mains plug
    > from the socket, with the 4 pin 12v ATX connected the fan on top of
    > the CPU switches off after the 15 secs and I can switch the PC off as
    > normal. Is the problem related to the PSU then? BTW, the CPU heatsink/
    > fan were not removed when I took the Motherboard out for the SLi chip
    > fan problem above. Any help appreciated.
    >
    > TIA

    What makes you think that you have a problem? It's quite possible that
    the CPU fan won't run unless or until the CPU reaches its normal operating
    temperature - cold things need no cooling ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 12, 2007

  3. HEMI-Powered Guest

    added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > My CPU fan is switching off. I had an initial problem with my
    > Asus A8N Nvidia Nforce4 SLi chip fan not coming on when my PC
    > booted up, I managed to sort that out by taking the
    > Motherboard out and taking the fan off and putting a little
    > WD40 on to it. After putting the Motherboard back into the
    > case and reconnecting everything I kept the side off the case
    > and noticed all fans were spinning but after about 15 secs the
    > CPU fan turns off. One thing I have noticed though and not
    > sure if it's connected, if I only connect the 24 pin ATX power
    > connector and keep the 4 pin 12v ATX connector off the fan
    > spins all the time but I cannot switch the PC off without
    > pulling the mains plug from the socket, with the 4 pin 12v ATX
    > connected the fan on top of the CPU switches off after the 15
    > secs and I can switch the PC off as normal. Is the problem
    > related to the PSU then? BTW, the CPU heatsink/ fan were not
    > removed when I took the Motherboard out for the SLi chip fan
    > problem above. Any help appreciated.

    Don't mess around! Get it fixed, pronto! In just a few seconds, a
    CPU with no fan running will begin to overheat and likely your
    BIOS will shut down the system in about 30 seconds. Whether that
    long running hot is enough to damage an expensive CPU cannot be
    predicted with accuracy. Assuming you have a newer, hot clock
    rate CPU such as my AMD Athlon 2..6 GHz, then besides the fan,
    there is a rather think aluminum finned heat sink. And, there's
    this guck called CPU grease or heatsink grease or some such
    between the chip itself and the heatsink and more of it between
    the heatsink and the fan. This stuff is crucial! Its two main
    purposes are to bond the 2 parts together so heat flows correctly
    between them and ensures they don't get permanently stuck. When I
    watched my nephew do mine a year or so back, he bought a small
    tube of the white grease, squeezed some onto the parts, and
    spread it around evenly with a small piece of light cardboard.

    Now, if your motherboard has a utility like my Asus, there will
    be a utility hidden in its folder and in your Start menu that
    will allow you to monitor all the fans, temperatures, and
    voltages real-time much like what you would see in BIOS set-up,
    but with a GUI within Windows. It is VERY handy when trying to
    determin if you do or don't have a problem that will kill
    something.

    Good luck!

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Nov 12, 2007
  4. HEMI-Powered Guest

    Whiskers added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    > What makes you think that you have a problem? It's quite
    > possible that the CPU fan won't run unless or until the CPU
    > reaches its normal operating temperature - cold things need no
    > cooling ;))

    My AMD Athlon 2.6GHz CPU fan runs all the time, about 5,200 rpm.
    When starting cold, it is slow for about a minute, starting at
    around 2,600 rpm and accelerating. Some are variable speed, mine is
    a constant speed fan. But, if the CPU manufacturer has a fan on the
    CPU at all, and likely they will these days, then it is a damn good
    idea to determine without any doubt if the fan should be running
    all the time or whether it is normal to cycle. If you guess wrong,
    at the least, the CPU may/will overheat and the BIOS will shut the
    system down. At worst, the chip may fry itself. Too much money
    involved to fool around, IMO.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Nov 12, 2007
  5. John Holmes Guest

    HEMI-Powered "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Good luck!

    You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and
    obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living
    emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a disease,
    you puerile one-handed slack-jawed drooling meatslapper.

    --

    You're so stupid, you thought meow mix was a record for cats.

    John Holmes, Nov 12, 2007
  6. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My CPU fan is switching off. I had an initial problem with my Asus A8N
    > Nvidia Nforce4 SLi chip fan not coming on when my PC booted up, I
    > managed to sort that out by taking the Motherboard out and taking the
    > fan off and putting a little WD40 on to it. After putting the
    > Motherboard back into the case and reconnecting everything I kept the
    > side off the case and noticed all fans were spinning but after about
    > 15 secs the CPU fan turns off. One thing I have noticed though and not
    > sure if it's connected, if I only connect the 24 pin ATX power
    > connector and keep the 4 pin 12v ATX connector off the fan spins all
    > the time but I cannot switch the PC off without pulling the mains plug
    > from the socket, with the 4 pin 12v ATX connected the fan on top of
    > the CPU switches off after the 15 secs and I can switch the PC off as
    > normal. Is the problem related to the PSU then? BTW, the CPU heatsink/
    > fan were not removed when I took the Motherboard out for the SLi chip
    > fan problem above. Any help appreciated.
    >
    > TIA

    Not unusual for modern motherboards to turn the CPU fan down to a slow speed
    (or even stop) when the CPU is at a low temperature.
    It's all aimed at reducing the wind tunnel fan noise created by fans running
    at full tilt.

    Most of these motherboards will start up with the CPU fan running at high
    speed until the boot process has progressed enough for the motherboard to
    read the temperature sensor inside the CPU.

    Read up the specs for your motherboard in the supplied manual and you will
    see it supports 'ASUS Q-Fan2' which is the name ASUS gives to it's method of
    controling the CPU fan speed in this fashion.

    You do need a compatible fan for this to work, but most of the retail Heat
    Sink/CPU Fan unit's I've seen lately have been compatible with Q-Fan.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 12, 2007
  7. Larry Guest

    Starts at 2,600 and goes to 5,200 and it's a CONSTANT speed fan? You need a
    new fan. Mine starts at full speed for a second or two on a cold start and
    then varies it's speed as the processor's load increases and decreases.

    Larry

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in message
    : Whiskers added these comments in the current discussion du jour
    : ...
    :

    Larry, Nov 13, 2007
  8. HEMI-Powered Guest

    John Holmes added these comments in the current discussion du
    jour ...

    > HEMI-Powered "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Good luck!
    >>

    > You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are
    > ridiculous and obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a
    > leech. You are a living emptiness, a meaningless void. You are
    > sour and senile. You are a disease, you puerile one-handed
    > slack-jawed drooling meatslapper.

    thanks, you seem like a nice guy, too

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Nov 13, 2007
  9. Redman Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2007-11-12, <> wrote:
    >> My CPU fan is switching off. I had an initial problem with my Asus A8N
    >> Nvidia Nforce4 SLi chip fan not coming on when my PC booted up, I
    >> managed to sort that out by taking the Motherboard out and taking the
    >> fan off and putting a little WD40 on to it. After putting the
    >> Motherboard back into the case and reconnecting everything I kept the
    >> side off the case and noticed all fans were spinning but after about
    >> 15 secs the CPU fan turns off. One thing I have noticed though and not
    >> sure if it's connected, if I only connect the 24 pin ATX power
    >> connector and keep the 4 pin 12v ATX connector off the fan spins all
    >> the time but I cannot switch the PC off without pulling the mains plug
    >> from the socket, with the 4 pin 12v ATX connected the fan on top of
    >> the CPU switches off after the 15 secs and I can switch the PC off as
    >> normal. Is the problem related to the PSU then? BTW, the CPU heatsink/
    >> fan were not removed when I took the Motherboard out for the SLi chip
    >> fan problem above. Any help appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > What makes you think that you have a problem? It's quite possible that
    > the CPU fan won't run unless or until the CPU reaches its normal operating
    > temperature - cold things need no cooling ;))

    Er the fact that the fan is always on, period. That's what makes me think I
    have a problem. Anyway, I seem to have fixed it (fingers crossed), I took
    the heatsink/fan off the CPU and spread the thermal paste around a little
    that seems to have stopped the PC switching off and for some unknown reason
    the fans going all the time, maybe just a glitch, but for now I'm happy.

    Redman, Nov 13, 2007
  10. John Holmes Guest

    HEMI-Powered "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes added these comments in the current discussion du
    > jour ...
    >
    >> HEMI-Powered "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Good luck!
    >>>

    >> You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are
    >> ridiculous and obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a
    >> leech. You are a living emptiness, a meaningless void. You are
    >> sour and senile. You are a disease, you puerile one-handed
    >> slack-jawed drooling meatslapper.

    > thanks, you seem like a nice guy, too

    ;-)

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Nov 13, 2007
  11. HEMI-Powered Guest

    Larry added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > Starts at 2,600 and goes to 5,200 and it's a CONSTANT speed
    > fan? You need a new fan. Mine starts at full speed for a
    > second or two on a cold start and then varies it's speed as
    > the processor's load increases and decreases.

    you should be wary of jumping to incorrect conclusions based on
    unfounded assumptions. this is the way the fan is supposed to
    work. just because your fan does one thing does not mean mine
    cannot do something else, nor anyone else's do a 3rd, 4th, Nth
    thing different than yours.

    HEMI-Powered, Nov 18, 2007