    rectified once the CPU Fan is installed?

    Thanks

    Simon
    Simon Lee, Jul 9, 2005

  2. Simon Lee

    Brian Guest

    Yopu should never start your computer without a CPU fan unless you want toi
    replace the CPU. The reason it shutdown was the CPU got too hot
    (overheated). Hopefully you did not kill your CPU. If it starts ok with the
    fan/heatsink you should be ok but expect a shorter lifespan on the CPU.
    Brian, Jul 9, 2005

  3. Simon Lee

    John Holmes Guest

    Simon Lee blabbered in alt.computer:

    > I have just built a Computer with ASRock K7S41 Motherboard and AMD
    > Sempron Socket A 2800.
    > Before I installed the CPU, the computer started up and stayed
    > switched on until I switched it off.
    > However, when I install the CPU without the fan, it switches on for 3
    > seconds and automatically switches back off and won't restart for a
    > few minutes.
    > My Fan/Heatsink hasn't yet arrived in the post. Should this problem be
    > rectified once the CPU Fan is installed?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Simon

    You stupid ****. NEVER start your computer without a fan on the CPU. It
    is possible the CPU has been overheated already and has been fried. Maybe
    you are lucky and it will run, but with a very short lifespan, as Brian
    said in this thread. Most likely, you have created yourself a system that
    will crash every now and then.

    One last hint: don't try to start the computer anymore before your
    heatsink arrives, (AND HAVE IT ASSEMBLED!!) or you'll be probably
    damaging the CPU even more.

    --
    Your mother was a cheese-obsessed swamp thing who befriended apes in an
    industrial mining complex.
    John Holmes, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Simon Lee

    Simon Lee Guest

    Sorry for that stupid question. I don't know what I was thinking hitting the
    power button in the first place.
    Some research has told me that it switched off after the more realistic time
    of 1.5 seconds because of the Thermal Trip was activated immediately and for
    that reason, the processor will probably be OK.
    I have done a visual inspection of both the Socket and the Processor,
    comparing it with several images and it appears that there is no visual
    signs of damage.
    I am now desperate to tst it with a Heatsink on Monday to see if I have
    wasted £45.

    Thanks for your help and no offence taken to the person who called me a
    "Silly C*nt"! ;-)
    Simon Lee, Jul 9, 2005
  5. Simon Lee

    JANA Guest

    If there is damage to the CPU, there will not be any visible effect, because
    the damage would be internal. When you get the fan and heatsink installed,
    you should be able to run the computer. If there are failures, the CPU
    should be the first suspect, even though it is thermo protected.

    With semiconductors, it is possible to have internal damage before any
    protections can do the shutdown.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 10, 2005
  6. Simon Lee

    Simon Lee Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > If there is damage to the CPU, there will not be any visible effect,
    > because
    > the damage would be internal. When you get the fan and heatsink installed,
    > you should be able to run the computer. If there are failures, the CPU
    > should be the first suspect, even though it is thermo protected.
    >
    > With semiconductors, it is possible to have internal damage before any
    > protections can do the shutdown.

    Personally though, do you think it has been damaged in under 2 seconds?
    I know they can get extremely hot but this fast! I thought it would take at
    least 7 or 8 seconds to reach anything close to 60C !
    Simon Lee, Jul 10, 2005
  7. Simon Lee, <>, the swaggering, outsized
    fieldmouse, and debt collector, protested:

    > "JANA" <> wrote in message
    >> If there is damage to the CPU, there will not be any visible effect,
    >> because
    >> the damage would be internal. When you get the fan and heatsink
    >> installed, you should be able to run the computer. If there are
    >> failures, the CPU should be the first suspect, even though it is
    >> thermo protected. With semiconductors, it is possible to have internal
    >> damage before
    >> any protections can do the shutdown.

    > Personally though, do you think it has been damaged in under 2
    > seconds? I know they can get extremely hot but this fast! I thought it
    > would
    > take at least 7 or 8 seconds to reach anything close to 60C !

    Ignore that stupid **** JANAtard.
    Read the manual, you may find that the board shut down because it failed to
    detect a fan. I wouldn't know, I never use such cheap-shit hardware.
    You would be well advised to read up on how to correctly fit a heatsink and
    the pros and cons of thermal paste as opposed to the sticky pad usually
    provided. A good source for info is the arctic silver web site.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Jul 10, 2005
  8. Simon Lee

    Simon Lee Guest

    "Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <> wrote in message
    > Simon Lee, <>, the swaggering,
    > outsized
    > fieldmouse, and debt collector, protested:
    >
    >> "JANA" <> wrote in message

    > Ignore that stupid **** JANAtard.
    > Read the manual, you may find that the board shut down because it failed
    > detect a fan. I wouldn't know, I never use such cheap-shit hardware.
    > You would be well advised to read up on how to correctly fit a heatsink
    > and
    > the pros and cons of thermal paste as opposed to the sticky pad usually
    > provided. A good source for info is the arctic silver web site.

    ASRock say that the board is fitted with the following function:
    For all of ASRock AMD and Intel CPU series motherboards, we embedded a
    special thermal guard mechanism to protect the CPU from damages caused by
    overheating. In order to support the whole variety of temperature criteria
    for all socket 478 Intel CPUs and socket A AMD CPUs like Duron/Athlon and
    AthlonXP Processors, ASRock U-COP is equipped with internal/external dual
    sensors and universal sensing interface to select the appropriate
    temperature criteria the CPU mounted on board.
    ASRock U-COP is a hardware level mechanism providing an independent alert
    interface. It is not necessary to operate through BIOS or any other software
    applications. Because of the real time power shut off under critical
    conditions, ASRock U-COP provides sufficient protection for AMD and Intel
    CPU's.
    ASRock U-COP is the ONLY technology worldwide, which provides all Socket A
    AMD CPUs (Duron/Athlon/AthlonXP series) with hardware level overheat
    protection.

    This is probably the real reason the computer shutdown almost immediately
    after startup.
    Maybe this has saved it?
    Simon Lee, Jul 10, 2005
  9. Simon Lee

    Simon Lee Guest

    > "Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <> wrote in message

    >> Ignore that stupid **** JANAtard.
    >> Read the manual, you may find that the board shut down because it failed
    >> detect a fan. I wouldn't know, I never use such cheap-shit hardware.
    >> You would be well advised to read up on how to correctly fit a heatsink
    >> and
    >> the pros and cons of thermal paste as opposed to the sticky pad usually
    >> provided. A good source for info is the arctic silver web site.

    Just thought I would mention that I personally don't use Cheap hardware.
    This is just an experimental project so I am obviously not going overboard
    with costs.
    I myself use a computer built to high specifications with quality
    components.
    Simon Lee, Jul 10, 2005
  10. Simon Lee

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: You're talking with the Zodiac-K-boy-oops-there-she-is-Lordy-be-today-Queen-lunatic in the Twilight Zone. ;)

    <It's that jackass Cow>
    <with Madd *Cow* sickness>
    <a lunatic>
    <g>
    Duane Arnold, Jul 10, 2005
  11. Simon Lee

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote:

    > Ah done fallen real sweet on muh fathuhr's fellerfrien'.

    If it's itchy, don't scratch it.
    pcbutts1, Jul 10, 2005
  12. Simon Lee, <>, the pubescent,
    neanderthal gonad, and maker of measures for weighing the herring and kipper
    catches, chin wagged:

    >> "Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <> wrote in
    >> message

    >>> Ignore that stupid **** JANAtard.
    >>> Read the manual, you may find that the board shut down because it
    >>> failed to
    >>> detect a fan. I wouldn't know, I never use such cheap-shit hardware.
    >>> You would be well advised to read up on how to correctly fit a
    >>> heatsink and
    >>> the pros and cons of thermal paste as opposed to the sticky pad
    >>> usually provided. A good source for info is the arctic silver web
    >>> site.

    > Just thought I would mention that I personally don't use Cheap
    > hardware. This is just an experimental project so I am obviously not
    > going overboard with costs.
    > I myself use a computer built to high specifications with quality
    > components.

    From what you wrote above it does seem likely that the manufacturer think
    your processor will be ok. If it isn't then you might have a good case for
    getting them to cover the cost of replacement. I doubt if they would
    entertain such an idea unless you threaten to tell every **** and his son
    not to use their hardware.

    You shouldn't rely on such a feature though, do read up on correct
    application and use of a good quality thermal paste, no matter what the cost
    of the hardware it's always a pain to have to strip it down again.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Jul 10, 2005
  13. Simon Lee

    Simon Lee Guest

    !!!Update!!!

    Today the CPU Fan Arrived. After applying the Thermal Paste,installing this
    monster of a fan and adjusting the Jumpers to 333Mhz, I fired up the machine
    with fingers crossed.
    The Sempron 2800+ was recognised and was running at 2.0Ghz, full normal
    operation!
    I have installed XP and it works perfectly!
    I'll just let this be a lesson to be more careful in future.

    Thanks to all of you for your advice.

    Simon
    Simon Lee, Jul 11, 2005
  14. Simon Lee

    Will Guest

    Simon Lee wrote:
    > !!!Update!!!
    >
    > Today the CPU Fan Arrived. After applying the Thermal
    > Paste,installing this monster of a fan and adjusting the Jumpers to
    > 333Mhz, I fired up the machine with fingers crossed.
    > The Sempron 2800+ was recognised and was running at 2.0Ghz, full
    > normal operation!
    > I have installed XP and it works perfectly!
    > I'll just let this be a lesson to be more careful in future.
    >
    > Thanks to all of you for your advice.
    >
    > Simon

    I'm glad to hear all is OK, I hope I have similar good fortune with all the
    junk I just bought from ebay.
    Will, Jul 11, 2005
  15. Simon Lee

    Simon Lee Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message

    > I'm glad to hear all is OK, I hope I have similar good fortune with all
    > the junk I just bought from ebay.

    Hows the "junk" you bought coming along?
    Simon Lee, Jul 16, 2005
  16. Simon Lee

    Will Guest

    Simon Lee wrote:
    > "Will" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm glad to hear all is OK, I hope I have similar good fortune with
    >> all the junk I just bought from ebay.

    > Hows the "junk" you bought coming along?

    I managed to identify the motherboard as a PC Chips M935DELR, it only runs a
    P4 with a FSB of 400MHz. Luckily that's what I bought, despite the mobo chap
    originally claiming that it would also run 533. He also supplied the wrong
    CD for the board, I didn't need anything from it apart from sound drivers
    which I got straight from the hinternet. Unfortunately only one of the two
    256MB PC2100's that I bought works with the board, the other is ECC.

    I installed my evaluation copy of server 2003 and ran a few tests, oddly
    AIDA32 shows varying temperatures for the CPU, usually around 26 Celsius but
    sometimes showing 40 something, sometimes going into single figures. Reading
    the temp straight from the BIOS screen confirms that it is running at 26.
    One disappointing aspect, apart from having to do half a days research to
    identify the board, is that there are a number of shadows on the screen when
    connected to a CRT, they seem much less noticeable when connected to my LCD
    (via the KVM). This model motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot, it only has
    two PCI slots one is taken up with the gigabit LAN card so I'm debating
    whether to get more junk in the form of a PCI graphics card.

    It's truly amazing how many idiots are selling stuff on ebay who don't know
    anything about what they are selling. I have had cards sent to me in jiffy
    bags, nothing else, no protection of any kind. It all became too much trying
    to find more ram on ebay. Again the idiots advertise things like "memory out
    of my computer, I upgraded so its spare", no details apart from the fact
    that it's 256MB and PC2100. Emails seen to be rarely answered with any
    conviction. It always amazes me how sometimes people tend to push the price
    up so that it's hardly any cheaper to buy from ebay. If one was to take
    into account all the extra postage costs you can end up spending more. For
    example I just ordered a new 300GB hard drive and a stick of 512MB ram, I
    could have saved 3 quid if I bought the ram from ebay. However, the postage
    would have made it only a quid cheaper and I would have had to trust
    someone's judgement on how stuff should be sent.

    After all that messing about it appears that the P4 1700 williamette isn't
    much faster then the PIII 800 in the dell the system was meant to replace.
    I'll have to run the same diagnostics on the old system to get a true
    comparison. In the meantime I have another motherboard, processor and a
    case coming. The second processor is a 2GHz jobbie with 512 L2 so it should
    be a lot better than the first one. I figured that I'd get a good system
    from various bits n pieces and put the rest of it up for sale. The second
    motherboard is a full ATX so there wont be an issue with expansions slots.
    Will, Jul 17, 2005
  17. "Simon Lee" <> wrote in message
    > I have just built a Computer with ASRock K7S41 Motherboard and AMD Sempron
    > Socket A 2800.
    > Before I installed the CPU, the computer started up and stayed switched on
    > until I switched it off.
    > However, when I install the CPU without the fan, it switches on for 3
    > seconds and automatically switches back off and won't restart for a few
    > minutes.
    > My Fan/Heatsink hasn't yet arrived in the post. Should this problem be
    > rectified once the CPU Fan is installed?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Simon

    No its a problem with you bi-lateral flux field capacitor. I recommend you
    bridge the semi bionic diode with the xen aflicator multi coil semi
    conducting wax filled writing cathode using a bent nail. Note it is the
    multi coil and not the semi coil.

    Good luck.
    Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger, Jul 20, 2005
  18. Simon Lee

    JDL Guest

    retarded tech support guy

    I bought a game. I wanted to use my Logitech Dual Action gamepad instead of
    the joystick (both are supported), so I click on "Game Setup" in the set-up
    screen and nothing happens. I look in the help files, and yes, it says to
    click on "game setup" on the set-up screen to change your input preference.
    I go back and click on "game set-up" again and I click ALL around it (the
    game setup icon), thinking that the click point/area may be off center.
    Still nothing. It's a major bug in the program. Interface problem.

    So I email tech support and this idiot answers me back. His first email
    says: "to change to gamepad, just click on "game setup". He must not have
    read my email closely because I already had indicated that it doesn't allow
    you to click on "game setup"! So I emailed him back saying that I did try
    that already! But it doesn't allow you to click on the "game setup icon" so
    that's why I emailed tech support in the first place! What a moron. Then he
    writes back and insults my intelligence and says that my gamepad must not be
    supported by the game! Which is BS. Their game is flawed. Doesn't even
    allow you to click on "game setup"! Then he says: "no software is 100% bug
    free." So I replied back: "yeah but at least you should test to see if your
    stupid interface is at least working!"

    He hasn't responded back. I guess they think I'll just quietly go away!

    JDL, Jun 1, 2006
  19. Simon Lee

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: retarded tech support guy

    JDL wrote:
    > I bought a game. I wanted to use my Logitech Dual Action gamepad instead of
    > the joystick (both are supported), so I click on "Game Setup" in the set-up
    > screen and nothing happens. I look in the help files, and yes, it says to
    > click on "game setup" on the set-up screen to change your input preference.
    > I go back and click on "game set-up" again and I click ALL around it (the
    > game setup icon), thinking that the click point/area may be off center.
    > Still nothing. It's a major bug in the program. Interface problem.
    >
    > So I email tech support and this idiot answers me back. His first email
    > says: "to change to gamepad, just click on "game setup". He must not have
    > read my email closely because I already had indicated that it doesn't allow
    > you to click on "game setup"! So I emailed him back saying that I did try
    > that already! But it doesn't allow you to click on the "game setup icon" so
    > that's why I emailed tech support in the first place! What a moron. Then he
    > writes back and insults my intelligence and says that my gamepad must not be
    > supported by the game! Which is BS. Their game is flawed. Doesn't even
    > allow you to click on "game setup"! Then he says: "no software is 100% bug
    > free." So I replied back: "yeah but at least you should test to see if your
    > stupid interface is at least working!"
    >
    > He hasn't responded back. I guess they think I'll just quietly go away!

    Since the product is defective, you can get 100 percent of your money
    back; none of that so-called restocking fee bullshit. The law is on your
    side in this case.
    Robert Baer, Jun 2, 2006
  20. Simon Lee

    Uplink Guest

    Re: retarded tech support guy

    obviously that tech guy didn't know this:

    1. The customer is always right
    2. If the customer is wrong, refer to rule # 1

    Uplink, Jun 4, 2006