    Can anyone tell me what is wrong and/or how to fix this problem.

    My specs are: anthlon xp 1600, 60gb hdd, 512 ddr ram, 128 mb geforce
    fx 5200, 350W PSU, motherboard: compaq presario 6016us.
    Nitro, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Nitro

    °Mike° Guest

    I don't suppose you've thought of rechecking the
    connections? How about replacing the fan?

    On 11 Jul 2004 10:35:38 -0700, in
    <>
    Nitro scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Nitro

    Buffalo Guest

    You must have a good heatsink, otherwise you would have fried your Athlon
    1600xp.
    Don't run you computer until you can get that fan spinning at full speed.
    If you must run it, leave the case cover off and have a room fan blowing
    directly onto the cpu heatsink.
    Check to see if the cpu fans spins freely (power off and turn it by blowing
    onto it or turning it with a toothpick etc.
    If it doesn't, either replace the fan or buy and install a new heatsink\fan
    combo.

    [This one works extremely well, is fairly cheap ($8-$16 US) and pretty
    quiet:TR2-M1
    Check here for some links for the TR2-M1.
    http://www.google.com/froogle?hl=en&tab=wf&q="TR2-M1"
    The M2 version is a few dollars cheaper, but noisier.
    BestByte.net has the TR2-M1 for $8 + $4 shipping for a total of $12.
    I have not done business with BestByte]

    If it turns freely, recheck the connection where the fan is connected to the
    MB.
    Make sure the connector and wires are in good shape and not broken.
    You can also check the voltage across the pins (12v) where the fan connects
    to the MB (this will require the computer to be powered up for a short
    period of time).
    If there is no voltage across the pins, you 'could' use a 12v tap off your
    PSU.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Nitro wrote:
    > Well, I recently got a new case. I transferred everything from my old
    > case to my new case. I hooked everything up and everything seemed to
    > work correctly-except that the CPU fan was not turning at all. It
    > showed no signs of life at all. I first noticed something went wrong
    > when my computer suddenly shutdown when I was playing a gfx intensive
    > game. I checked the temp of my CPU and it was 206 degrees!
    > I removed 2 rubber units which i put under the motherboard to raise
    > it, but i heard that is extremely bad.
    > All the other fans besides the CPU fan (on top of heat sink) work.
    > Can anyone tell me what is wrong and/or how to fix this problem.

    1. If the fan is not plugged in, plug it in.

    2. If the fan is plugged in, replace it.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Nitro

    doS Guest

    Unplug your pc as you are too st00pid to use it.

    doS, Jul 11, 2004