    In the grand scheme of things, I suyppose the same result is acheived either
    way, but if one wanted to worry about such things, how shoudl the fan be
    installed?

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 4, 2009

  2. Re: CPU Fan Air Flow Direction -- NEVER MIND

    DUH!

    The fan case has holes for the screws that give me a clue to the
    orientation. Turns out, the fan draws cold air and blows it onto the heat
    sink ...

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 4, 2009

  3. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Re: CPU Fan Air Flow Direction -- NEVER MIND

    Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

    > DUH!
    >
    > The fan case has holes for the screws that give me a clue to the
    > orientation. Turns out, the fan draws cold air and blows it onto the
    > heat sink ...
    >

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> The fan in my wife's computer has stopped. I was able to clean it and
    >> get it going again, but it occurs to me that I failed to determine
    >> the proper orientation.
    >>
    >> The fan fits two ways, one where it draws cool air and blows it into
    >> the heat sink, and the other where it draws warm are off of the heat
    >> sink and blows it out.
    >>
    >> In the grand scheme of things, I suyppose the same result is acheived
    >> either way, but if one wanted to worry about such things, how shoudl
    >> the fan be installed?

    Hi Jeff,
    I'm glad you discovered the way that the fan was mounted in your
    machine. The arguments for blowing into the case are that there is
    less airborne dust that can be sucked in through any aperture, in
    particular through the draw of the CD/DVD drive that would contaminate
    the optical path. The idea is that the second fan balances the air
    sucked out by the PSU fan.

    I used to have a case with a clear perspex side so that you could see
    into the case. Its very instructive to use smoke to actually see the
    air path(s) through the machine with different fan arrangements. Its
    quite remarkable how the heat from the CPU disturbs the air flow
    pattern. There has been a lot said about cables damaging the airflow,
    hence the sales of round cables. Excuse the pun, its mostly hot air !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Jun 5, 2009