CPU data transfer rate??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Russell, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Hi,

    I am studying computer architecture at college and one of my prof's
    questions appears no-where in our textbook/handouts..

    Basically, I need to know the formula to calculate the data transfer rate of
    a cpu.

    Actual question below:

    Consider a 32-bit microprocessor, with a 16-bit external data bus, driven by
    an 8-Mhz input clock. Assume that this microprocessor has a bus cycle whose
    minimum duration equals four input clock cycles. What is the maximum data
    transfer rate that this microprocessor can sustain?

    I would prefer that I wasn't spoon fed the answer.... but rather a detailed
    description of the necessary calculation...

    Thanks,

    Russe11
    Russell, Feb 7, 2005