    has thermal tape on the fan/heatsink unit ?

    TIA

    JS
    John Smith, Jan 10, 2004

  2. John Smith

    °Mike° Guest

    Do you *need* to? No.

    Thermal Transfer - Paste or Tape?
    http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/articles/2001/upgrade8_01_02.asp

    "There are two methods you can use to assure better heat transfer
    between either passive or active heatsinks and chips:

    - Thermal paste

    - Thermal tape

    Of these two, thermal paste has been recommended for years, and
    with good reason. If a positive-locking mechanism is available to
    attach a heatsink to a chip, thermal paste fills the inescapable small
    gaps between metal surfaces and provides excellent heat transfer.

    What about thermal tape? Thermal tape, as the name implies, provides
    better heat transfer than metal-to-metal contact, but tests reveal that
    it doesn't do nearly as good a job as thermal paste. Thermal tape is
    best reserved for situations in which a heat sink can't be attached to a
    chip with a mechanical lock (such as a clamp or locking pins), but must
    be attached with thermal tape only (it's double-stick). Thermal tape will
    dry out over time: some users have had processors with taped-on
    heatsinks fail because the tape adhesive dried out and the processor no
    longer had a good contact with the heatsink."

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:34:39 -0500, in
    <>
    John Smith scrawled:

    --