    What solution do people suggest - please bear in mind that I don't have a
    huge budget (~£30). Any other advice?

    TIA.
    John E, Dec 22, 2003

  2. John E

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:55:21 -0000, John E wrote:

    x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
    Newsgroups:
    24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.microprocessors.amd

    See the many past posts on this same subject
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and it's overheating whenever I do
    >intensive processing (the PC is resetting itself and the CPU is showing up
    >as 76 degrees). It currently has the standard fan/paste set up, but I

    What sort of intensive processing? I thought sometimes I pushed my PC a
    bit hard but never had any problems overheating.

    Which 76 degrees do you mean? 76degC/168degF or 76degF/24degF

    >obviously need a better solution. I have a standard case and I'd rather not
    >have to replace that if possible.

    Not much clue as to which country from your post.

    >What solution do people suggest - please bear in mind that I don't have a
    >huge budget (~£30). Any other advice?

    GBP?

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
    http://www.overclockers.com/
    http://www.overclockersonline.com/
    http://www.hardwarecooling.com/
    http://www.sochilled.co.uk/products.asp?item=25

    One of the best places to look www.amd.com for case design and
    recommended cooling. Very easy to find, from the Tech. Docs page.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_3748,00.html

    Me
    why?, Dec 22, 2003

  3. John E

    Brian H¹© Guest

    John E said:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and it's overheating whenever I do
    > intensive processing (the PC is resetting itself and the CPU is showing up
    > as 76 degrees). It currently has the standard fan/paste set up, but I
    > obviously need a better solution. I have a standard case and I'd rather not
    > have to replace that if possible.
    >
    > What solution do people suggest - please bear in mind that I don't have a
    > huge budget (~£30). Any other advice?
    >
    > TIA.

    Get a fan with a better airflow.
    You could also point a second fan at the heat sink which will give a little
    extra cooling to the area.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 22, 2003
  4. John E

    philo Guest

    > You could also point a second fan at the heat sink which will give a

    little
    > extra cooling to the area.

    I've done that and found it can help quite a bit...

    one thing I've noticed however is that many cpu coolers are just plain
    inferior!
    philo, Dec 22, 2003
  5. John E

    John E Guest

    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:55:21 -0000, John E wrote:
    >
    > x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from

    24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.microprocessors.a
    md

    > See the many past posts on this same subject
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and it's overheating whenever I do
    > >intensive processing (the PC is resetting itself and the CPU is showing

    up
    > >as 76 degrees). It currently has the standard fan/paste set up, but I

    > What sort of intensive processing? I thought sometimes I pushed my PC a
    > bit hard but never had any problems overheating.

    Primarily encoding audio and video, but also occasionally whilst playing
    intense games. If my PC has been on for any length of time it resets when I
    try doing any encoding that takes longer than a couple of minutes. If I
    switch it off for 20 minutes, the CPU goes down to 24degC, if I then do the
    encoding straight after power up it works fine (i.e. it doesn't get a chance
    to heat up too much).

    > Which 76 degrees do you mean? 76degC/168degF or 76degF/24degF

    76degC.

    > >obviously need a better solution. I have a standard case and I'd rather

    not
    > >have to replace that if possible.

    > Not much clue as to which country from your post.

    UK.

    > >What solution do people suggest - please bear in mind that I don't have a
    > >huge budget (~£30). Any other advice?

    > GBP?

    Yep.

    > http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
    > http://www.overclockers.com/
    > http://www.overclockersonline.com/
    > http://www.hardwarecooling.com/
    > http://www.sochilled.co.uk/products.asp?item=25
    >
    > One of the best places to look www.amd.com for case design and
    > recommended cooling. Very easy to find, from the Tech. Docs page.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_3748,00.html

    Thanks.

    Is it possible/How easy is it to remove a fan from a CPU if the thermal glue
    stuff is used? How would I do it?
    John E, Dec 22, 2003
  6. John E

    PJB Guest

    "John E" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and it's overheating

    whenever I do
    > intensive processing (the PC is resetting itself and the

    CPU is showing up
    > as 76 degrees). It currently has the standard fan/paste

    set up, but I
    > obviously need a better solution. I have a standard case

    and I'd rather not
    > have to replace that if possible.

    76 is rather high, my AMD 1900 used to lock up around 69-70.
    I cured that by cleaning out the existing fans in the case,
    and fitting a Flower Cooler, the one with the heat sink
    shaped like a fan, got the copper one, and it lowered the
    cpu temp by over 25 degrees. You should also check heatsinks
    & fans at regular intervals, dust & muck soon clog up the
    system and temps start going up ;-)
    Got the Flower cooler from Maplins, around 25-30 quid, well
    worth it.

    P.
    PJB, Dec 22, 2003
  7. John E

    Brian H¹© Guest

    John E said:

    (snip)

    > Is it possible/How easy is it to remove a fan from a CPU if the thermal glue
    > stuff is used? How would I do it?

    I think you will find that it is not glue, but just a paste that helps to ensure
    a "perfect" contact for heat transfer., and should therefore not pose any
    serious problem for removal.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 22, 2003
  8. John E

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:30:51 -0000, John E wrote:

    >> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:55:21 -0000, John E wrote:
    >>
    >> x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
    >>

    >24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.microprocessors.a
    >md

    <snip>

    >> >I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and it's overheating whenever I do
    >> >intensive processing (the PC is resetting itself and the CPU is showing

    >up
    >> >as 76 degrees). It currently has the standard fan/paste set up, but I

    >> What sort of intensive processing? I thought sometimes I pushed my PC a
    >> bit hard but never had any problems overheating.

    >Primarily encoding audio and video, but also occasionally whilst playing
    >intense games. If my PC has been on for any length of time it resets when I

    Ah that would be it then :) one thing I don't do. Although my nephew
    sometimes goes a bit mad on the games.

    <snip>

    >> Which 76 degrees do you mean? 76degC/168degF or 76degF/24degF

    >76degC.

    <snip>

    >> One of the best places to look www.amd.com for case design and
    >> recommended cooling. Very easy to find, from the Tech. Docs page.
    >>

    >http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_3748,00.html
    >
    >Thanks.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25175.pdf
    gives the max die temp as 90degC.

    >Is it possible/How easy is it to remove a fan from a CPU if the thermal glue
    >stuff is used? How would I do it?

    Never used thermal glue, always thermal grease. Usually with a very fine
    point to break the initial suction the HS slides off the CPU okay. A bit
    messy but works. Not tried on a Athlon yet.

    IIRC maplin www.maplin.co.uk have some / a cleaner for removing thermal
    pads / grease and oddly enough replacemt pads as well. See the
    Overclocking / Cooling products list. The water cooler kit is GBP 39.

    One type of cooler I have used before (electronic instrument design),
    not in a PC was a Peltier device. These used to be very very expensive
    but the past few years have seen PC CPU versions out. Check the sites in
    the previous post, some of them have user forums as well.

    http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

    Me
    why?, Dec 22, 2003
  9. John E

    Brian H¹© Guest

    PJB said:

    > "John E" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and it's overheating whenever I do
    >> intensive processing (the PC is resetting itself and the CPU is showing up
    >> as 76 degrees). It currently has the standard fan/paste set up, but I
    >> obviously need a better solution. I have a standard case and I'd rather not
    >> have to replace that if possible.

    > 76 is rather high, my AMD 1900 used to lock up around 69-70.
    > I cured that by cleaning out the existing fans in the case,
    > and fitting a Flower Cooler, the one with the heat sink
    > shaped like a fan, got the copper one, and it lowered the
    > cpu temp by over 25 degrees. You should also check heatsinks
    > & fans at regular intervals, dust & muck soon clog up the
    > system and temps start going up ;-)
    > Got the Flower cooler from Maplins, around 25-30 quid, well
    > worth it.
    >
    > P.

    I got the Global WIN WBK38, 7000rpm from Maplins, it sounds like I have a jet
    aircraft sitting in the room with me.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 22, 2003
  10. John E

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John E wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and it's overheating whenever I do
    > intensive processing (the PC is resetting itself and the CPU is
    > showing up as 76 degrees). It currently has the standard fan/paste
    > set up, but I obviously need a better solution. I have a standard
    > case and I'd rather not have to replace that if possible.
    >
    > What solution do people suggest - please bear in mind that I don't
    > have a huge budget (~£30). Any other advice?

    Take the side off your case, measure where the centre of the CPU HSF is and
    mark the case with a dot. Take it to a sheet-metal or engineering shop and
    get them to cut you an 80 or 90 mm hole so that it's directly above the CPU.
    Get a case fan of the appropriate size (I used an 80mm), drill the four
    holes and screw the fan to the case, blowing in. Then work out how far it is
    from the fan to the CPU fan and find a plastic cup or container with a taper
    on it, ideally down from 80mm to 60mm or whatever your CPU fan is. Cut it to
    length and hot-glue it to the fan mounted in the inside of your case so it
    blows cooler air from outside the case directly to the CPU fan.

    I lowered my temps considerably this way, allowing me to run my XP1800+ at
    200 x 10.5, 2.1GHz, without going over 50°C under load. Cost next to nothing
    too, just the price of getting the hole cut. I re-used a fan from an old AT
    power supply and had a finger-grille lying around.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 22, 2003
  11. John E

    kony Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and it's overheating whenever I do
    >intensive processing (the PC is resetting itself and the CPU is showing up
    >as 76 degrees). It currently has the standard fan/paste set up, but I
    >obviously need a better solution. I have a standard case and I'd rather not
    >have to replace that if possible.
    >
    >What solution do people suggest - please bear in mind that I don't have a
    >huge budget (~£30). Any other advice?
    >
    >TIA.

    Either your case ambient temp is too high (need more air intake and
    exahaust fan or cutting out grills on existing fans), or the CPU
    heatsink isn't making very good contact.

    The first thing I'd try is removing the heatsink, lapping it a bit
    with very fine sandpaper, cleaning off any/all goo on the bottom and
    applying a very thin coat of (any) heatsink compound.

    I suppose it goes without saying that you ought to make sure the
    heatsink fan is operating properly, not worn out and running at very
    reduced RPM. If it's a sleeve-bearing fan, put a drop of thick oil in
    it.

    As for budget 'sinks, a Thermaltake Silent Boost or Thermalright
    SLK-800 (plus a decent fan) are both fairly common and good, but I
    dont' know the pricing in your area, and they'll work best when/if
    your case has good airflow.

    Dave
    kony, Dec 23, 2003
  12. John E

    PJB Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote
    in message
    > PJB said:
    >
    > > 76 is rather high, my AMD 1900 used to lock up around

    69-70.
    > > I cured that by cleaning out the existing fans in the

    case,
    > > and fitting a Flower Cooler, the one with the heat sink
    > > shaped like a fan, got the copper one, and it lowered

    the
    > > cpu temp by over 25 degrees. You should also check

    heatsinks
    > > & fans at regular intervals, dust & muck soon clog up

    the
    > > system and temps start going up ;-)
    > > Got the Flower cooler from Maplins, around 25-30 quid,

    well
    > > worth it.
    > >
    > > P.

    > I got the Global WIN WBK38, 7000rpm from Maplins, it

    sounds like I have a jet
    > aircraft sitting in the room with me.

    I nearly bought that one, glad I didn't now, the wife would
    have complained about it drowning out her Corrie ;-)
    The beauty of the Flower coller is it uses a 92mm fan
    mounted above the heatsink, therefore it can run slower
    (<3000 rpm) but still cool nicely.

    P.
    PJB, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Try underclocking it.
    Avoid the ThermalTake Vulcano 6 fan. It is very difficult to attach without
    gouging your MB.

    William W. Plummer, Dec 23, 2003
  14. John E

    Shep© Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:55:21 -0000 Singing Yo-Ho-Ho and a Merry KMA
    "John E" <> wrote :

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and it's overheating whenever I do
    >intensive processing (the PC is resetting itself and the CPU is showing up
    >as 76 degrees). It currently has the standard fan/paste set up, but I
    >obviously need a better solution. I have a standard case and I'd rather not
    >have to replace that if possible.
    >
    >What solution do people suggest - please bear in mind that I don't have a
    >huge budget (~£30). Any other advice?
    >
    >TIA.

    That sounds like you have either the HS incorrectly orientated to the
    CPU well or a faulty sensor :/
    The lip under HS must match the raised lip on the CPU well.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de
    Shep©, Dec 23, 2003
  15. John E

    larry.fatcat Guest

    I would recommend firstly that you pack the case with case fans and then
    consider changing the power supply unit.

    Larry

    larry.fatcat, Dec 24, 2003
  16. John E

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24 HSHD.

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:59:24 -0000, larry.fatcat wrote:

    >I would recommend firstly that you pack the case with case fans and then
    >consider changing the power supply unit.

    That would be the otherway around? U/G the PSU first before adding extra
    fans.

    why?, Dec 24, 2003
  17. John E

    Ed Morgan Guest

    No, I would get the heat out of the case first. I high capacity CPU fan
    will just push more hot air.
    Ed

    Ed Morgan, Dec 24, 2003