CPU at 100% all the time

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Krazy Bob, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time for
    no apparent reason.

    it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
    freezing on me.
    then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning what
    I don't know.

    i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes straight
    to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the memory
    hogger which is part of the antivirus.

    attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer to
    become unresponsive.
    its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news groups,
    open new post and type this out.

    What do you guys think could be happening??
    I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    because the comps already at 100%.

    any suggestions greatly appreciated

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Krazy Bob

    Peter Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:

    > What do you guys think could be happening??
    > I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    > because the comps already at 100%.
    >
    > any suggestions greatly appreciated

    Is CPU running at 100% when connected to internet? If so it is probably a
    'zombie' sending out spam and / or 'DOS' attacks. If an anti-virus program
    cannot find it, there is probably little option but to re-load Windows.
    Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.

    Peter, Nov 1, 2005

  3. Krazy Bob

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:35:52 +1300, Peter <> wrote:

    >Krazy Bob wrote:
    >

    >> What do you guys think could be happening??
    >> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    >> because the comps already at 100%.
    >>
    >> any suggestions greatly appreciated
    >>

    >Is CPU running at 100% when connected to internet? If so it is probably a
    >'zombie' sending out spam and / or 'DOS' attacks. If an anti-virus program
    >cannot find it, there is probably little option but to re-load Windows.
    >Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.

    Only Lunatics Use Lunix..

    XP, Nov 1, 2005
  4. Krazy Bob

    shannon Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:35:52 +1300, Peter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Krazy Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>> What do you guys think could be happening??
    >>> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    >>> because the comps already at 100%.
    >>>
    >>> any suggestions greatly appreciated
    >>>

    >> Is CPU running at 100% when connected to internet? If so it is probably a
    >> 'zombie' sending out spam and / or 'DOS' attacks. If an anti-virus program
    >> cannot find it, there is probably little option but to re-load Windows.
    >> Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.
    >>

    > Only Lunatics Use Lunix..

    You use it every time you Google.

    shannon, Nov 1, 2005
  5. Krazy Bob

    steve Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.

    But I don't think he can play Battlefield 2 on Linux (yet).

    So he's stuck with Windows at least for that game.

    steve, Nov 1, 2005
  6. Krazy Bob

    steve Guest

    XP wrote:

    > Only Lunatics Use Lunix..

    Why bother posting this drivel, Roger?

    It just makes you look stupid.

    steve, Nov 1, 2005
  7. Krazy Bob

    Impossible Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the
    > time for no apparent reason.
    >
    > it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it
    > kept freezing on me.
    > then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but
    > scanning what I don't know.
    >
    > i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes
    > straight to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe
    > is the memory hogger which is part of the antivirus.
    >
    > attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the
    > computer to become unresponsive.
    > its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news
    > groups, open new post and type this out.
    >
    > What do you guys think could be happening??
    > I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware
    > search because the comps already at 100%.
    >
    > any suggestions greatly appreciated

    What OS? What CPU speed? How much memory? Anti-virus programs can be
    cpu and resource-hungry. So your problem might be nothing more than
    that you've got a background av scan running and your system can't
    handle it. If your system is well-equipped, hardware-wise, and this
    problem developed all-of-a-sudden, then I'd suspect malware of some
    sort.

    For the time being I'll assume you're running Windows 98 or later. Go
    Run...msconfig. Select a diagnostic startup and disable everything in
    the startup menu that you don't absolutely trust EXCEPT your
    anti-virus program (I'm being conservative here -- your antivirus
    program might be set to start in background scan mode, and you'll
    probably want to diable that at some point. But first let's eliminate
    the possibility that some other program is hogging your cpu). Also
    disable any automatic connection to the net. Then reboot and see what
    happens.

    If your problem disappears at this stage, then good -- you're AV is
    fine, and the problem is with one of the startup programs you
    sdiabled. Work back through the msconfig list, enabling one thing at a
    time and then rebooting (painful, but thios works) until you find find
    the trouble.

    If you're problem hasn't disappeared, then it's trickier. Keep all
    your other startup program disabled. Then I would first try letting
    your AV run whatever scan it's trying to do -- depending on your
    hardware, this could take hours, but just let it run overnight.
    hopefully at some point, it ends. (If not, it's time to think about
    either beefing up your hardware or replacing your AV.) If the scan
    finishes and your cpu is free again, then you know that you have to
    set your AV to only do scanning at a time of your choosing. Just to be
    on the safe side, I'd grab one or more trial versions of some other
    anti-virus program and run these in full scan mode on your machine.
    Then run the anti-spyware programs you couldn't run before. When
    you're satisfied that your system is clean, enable a normal startup
    from msconfig and confirm that everything is back to normal.

    BTW, the only mention of "ashservice" that I can find on Google refers
    to some catch-all search portal. That's not a good sign. Are you sure
    that the correct name of your av module is ashservice.exe? If not,
    include that in the list of programs you intitially disable.

    Impossible, Nov 1, 2005
  8. "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time for
    > no apparent reason.
    >
    > it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
    > freezing on me.
    > then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning

    what
    > I don't know.
    >
    > i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes

    straight
    > to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the memory
    > hogger which is part of the antivirus.
    >
    > attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer to
    > become unresponsive.
    > its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news

    groups,
    > open new post and type this out.
    >
    > What do you guys think could be happening??
    > I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    > because the comps already at 100%.
    >
    > any suggestions greatly appreciated
    >
    > KB

    Do you currently have a process named "~e5.0001" running?
    Its the buggy Macrovision copyright process, and its extremely buggy, and
    doesn't always terminate correctly when the app that called it is fininshed
    (crashed etc), and if killed it will restart.
    If it is responsible there's nothing you can do except complain to
    Macrovision.

    Jekyll and Hyde.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Nov 1, 2005
  9. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time
    >> for no apparent reason.
    >>
    >> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
    >> freezing on me.
    >> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning
    >> what I don't know.
    >>
    >> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes
    >> straight to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is
    >> the memory hogger which is part of the antivirus.
    >>
    >> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer
    >> to become unresponsive.
    >> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news
    >> groups, open new post and type this out.
    >>
    >> What do you guys think could be happening??
    >> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    >> because the comps already at 100%.
    >>
    >> any suggestions greatly appreciated
    >>

    > What OS? What CPU speed? How much memory? Anti-virus programs can be

    OS: xp pro sp2
    CPU: Amd Barton 2500+ OC'd 3200+
    1024MB Dual Channel Ram

    But thing is..ive had the same system startup up for months and months no
    probs, then all of a sudden, Comp is running 100% all the time!

    > cpu and resource-hungry. So your problem might be nothing more than that
    > you've got a background av scan running and your system can't handle it.
    > If your system is well-equipped, hardware-wise, and this problem developed
    > all-of-a-sudden, then I'd suspect malware of some sort.
    >
    > For the time being I'll assume you're running Windows 98 or later. Go
    > Run...msconfig. Select a diagnostic startup and disable everything in the
    > startup menu that you don't absolutely trust EXCEPT your anti-virus
    > program (I'm being conservative here -- your antivirus program might be
    > set to start in background scan mode, and you'll probably want to diable
    > that at some point. But first let's eliminate the possibility that some
    > other program is hogging your cpu). Also disable any automatic connection
    > to the net. Then reboot and see what happens.
    >
    > If your problem disappears at this stage, then good -- you're AV is fine,
    > and the problem is with one of the startup programs you sdiabled. Work
    > back through the msconfig list, enabling one thing at a time and then
    > rebooting (painful, but thios works) until you find find the trouble.
    >
    > If you're problem hasn't disappeared, then it's trickier. Keep all your
    > other startup program disabled. Then I would first try letting your AV run
    > whatever scan it's trying to do -- depending on your hardware, this could
    > take hours, but just let it run overnight. hopefully at some point, it
    > ends. (If not, it's time to think about either beefing up your hardware or
    > replacing your AV.) If the scan finishes and your cpu is free again, then
    > you know that you have to set your AV to only do scanning at a time of
    > your choosing. Just to be on the safe side, I'd grab one or more trial
    > versions of some other anti-virus program and run these in full scan mode
    > on your machine. Then run the anti-spyware programs you couldn't run
    > before. When you're satisfied that your system is clean, enable a normal
    > startup from msconfig and confirm that everything is back to normal.
    >
    > BTW, the only mention of "ashservice" that I can find on Google refers to
    > some catch-all search portal. That's not a good sign. Are you sure that
    > the correct name of your av module is ashservice.exe? If not, include that
    > in the list of programs you intitially disable.

    Thanks for the above advice...will try it out and see what happens

    Cheers
    KB

    Krazy Bob, Nov 1, 2005
  10. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Jekyll and Hyde" <Jekyll and > wrote in message
    > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time
    >> for
    >> no apparent reason.
    >>
    >> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
    >> freezing on me.
    >> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning

    > what
    >> I don't know.
    >>
    >> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes

    > straight
    >> to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the memory
    >> hogger which is part of the antivirus.
    >>
    >> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer
    >> become unresponsive.
    >> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news

    > groups,
    >> open new post and type this out.
    >>
    >> What do you guys think could be happening??
    >> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    >> because the comps already at 100%.
    >>
    >> any suggestions greatly appreciated
    >>
    >> KB

    > Do you currently have a process named "~e5.0001" running?

    Have no process under that name running.

    The only process thats taking 99-100 of cpu according to task manager is
    ashserv.exe which ive checked is avast antivirus software module
    disabling this, causes the comp to become un responsive

    Cheers
    KB

    Krazy Bob, Nov 1, 2005
  11. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:35:52 +1300, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Krazy Bob wrote:
    >>

    >>> What do you guys think could be happening??
    >>> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    >>> because the comps already at 100%.
    >>>
    >>> any suggestions greatly appreciated
    >>>

    >>Is CPU running at 100% when connected to internet? If so it is probably a
    >>'zombie' sending out spam and / or 'DOS' attacks. If an anti-virus
    >>program
    >>cannot find it, there is probably little option but to re-load Windows.
    >>Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.
    >>

    > Only Lunatics Use Lunix..

    Please dont turn this into a windows / lunix debate

    Krazy Bob, Nov 1, 2005
  12. Krazy Bob

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:24:31 -0500, "Impossible"
    <> wrote:

    >BTW, the only mention of "ashservice" that I can find on Google refers
    >to some catch-all search portal. That's not a good sign. Are you sure
    >that the correct name of your av module is ashservice.exe? If not,
    >include that in the list of programs you intitially disable.

    Hi,
    I run avast and just checked my task list. The av is
    AshServ.exe not AshService.exe. The other components running have
    similar trunkated names. What happens when you kill it from ctrl alt
    del. If you cant kill it try setting it to a very low priority to see
    what happens (right click on task list).

    Bruce.
    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Nov 1, 2005
  13. "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Jekyll and Hyde" <Jekyll and > wrote in message
    > > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time
    > >> for
    > >> no apparent reason.
    > >>
    > >> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it

    kept
    > >> freezing on me.
    > >> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning

    > > what
    > >> I don't know.
    > >>
    > >> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes

    > > straight
    > >> to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the

    memory
    > >> hogger which is part of the antivirus.
    > >>
    > >> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer
    > >> become unresponsive.
    > >> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news

    > > groups,
    > >> open new post and type this out.
    > >>
    > >> What do you guys think could be happening??
    > >> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    > >> because the comps already at 100%.
    > >>
    > >> any suggestions greatly appreciated
    > >>
    > >> KB

    > > Do you currently have a process named "~e5.0001" running?

    > Have no process under that name running.
    >
    > The only process thats taking 99-100 of cpu according to task manager is
    > ashserv.exe which ive checked is avast antivirus software module
    > disabling this, causes the comp to become un responsive
    >
    > Cheers
    > KB

    Oh, ok. Uninstall your Avast anti virus then (removing the ashserv.exe
    process) and use AVG instead...
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

    I've seen similar problems with anti virus products where they just get
    fubar'ed and choke the system (Panda, Sophos).

    Jekyll and Hyde.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Nov 1, 2005
  14. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Bruce Knox" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:24:31 -0500, "Impossible"
    > <> wrote:

    >>BTW, the only mention of "ashservice" that I can find on Google refers
    >>to some catch-all search portal. That's not a good sign. Are you sure
    >>that the correct name of your av module is ashservice.exe? If not,
    >>include that in the list of programs you intitially disable.
    >>

    > Hi,
    > I run avast and just checked my task list. The av is
    > AshServ.exe not AshService.exe. The other components running have
    > similar trunkated names. What happens when you kill it from ctrl alt
    > del. If you cant kill it try setting it to a very low priority to see
    > what happens (right click on task list).
    >
    > Bruce.
    > Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    > http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Yea bruce, i realised my mistake when i went back and looked at the full
    name.
    when i ctrl-alt delete and terminate it, the computer becomes unresponsive.
    nothing will work, i.e. clicking on desktop icons does nothing and only
    possible solution is to restart and have to deal with same thing again.

    i have at the moment stoped the "standard shield" from running which has
    sorta fixed the problem of my cpu running at 100%
    i have run two scans one with through and one standard both with enable
    archive scanning, nil nasties found, same goes with spybot and ad-aware.

    im at a loss at whats going on.
    maybe might have to uninstall avast and re install again
    but i really don't have time to do that *sigh*

    thanks for posting bruce

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Nov 1, 2005
  15. Krazy Bob

    > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jekyll and Hyde" <Jekyll and > wrote in message
    >> > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > kept
    >> > what

    >> > straight

    > memory

    >> > groups,

    >> > Do you currently have a process named "~e5.0001" running?

    >> Have no process under that name running.
    >>
    >> The only process thats taking 99-100 of cpu according to task manager is
    >> ashserv.exe which ive checked is avast antivirus software module
    >> disabling this, causes the comp to become un responsive
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> KB

    > Oh, ok. Uninstall your Avast anti virus then (removing the ashserv.exe
    > process) and use AVG instead...
    > http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

    i used to have AVG, but i got a really nasty worm *cant remeber the name*
    and had AVG up to date and somehow it still yet it in and then couldn't
    remove it
    so i gave up, whats the point if it cant remove it/ delete it/ or heal it
    :-S

    Avast up to this point has been **great**

    Cheers anyway
    KB

    Krazy Bob, Nov 1, 2005
  16. Krazy Bob

    thingy Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time for
    > no apparent reason.
    >
    > it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
    > freezing on me.
    > then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning what
    > I don't know.
    >
    > i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes straight
    > to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the memory
    > hogger which is part of the antivirus.
    >
    > attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer to
    > become unresponsive.
    > its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news groups,
    > open new post and type this out.
    >
    > What do you guys think could be happening??
    > I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
    > because the comps already at 100%.
    >
    > any suggestions greatly appreciated
    >
    > KB

    I did some googling, some viruses attack anti-virus software and
    disable, but this looks unlikely.

    I would suggest un-installing ths software, reboot and re-install.

    Personally while running games I think anti-virus stuff should be
    disabled, it robs CPU cycles and can crash games, ymmv.

    If it still occurs un-install and install clamav (free) and scan.

    Then get an anti-spybot piece of software (free ones are good enough),
    also consider something like zonealarm and set it to monitor/alarm on
    outbound traffic as well as inbound.

    If it all looks clean move back to the one you like, if it does it
    again, find something else, my prefernce is Clamav.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 1, 2005
  17. Krazy Bob

    Guest

    Why don't just you post your question to the official avast antivirus
    support forum http://forum.avast.com ? The staff is very friendly and
    responsive and I'm sure they'll find a quick solution to the problem!

    Cheers
    Hugo

    , Nov 1, 2005
  18. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Why don't just you post your question to the official avast antivirus
    > support forum http://forum.avast.com ? The staff is very friendly and
    > responsive and I'm sure they'll find a quick solution to the problem!

    because i wasn't 100% entirely sure it was a avast problem.
    ive managed to disable the standard shield and get my cpu back to normal
    but im still getting terrible ping times now in game when i should only be
    getting 60-70 im on 2mb plan also. so something is also robbing bandwidth,
    but neither av scan or ad-aware or spybot or microsoft anti-spyware beta
    prog has picked up anything....

    cheers anyway
    KB

    Krazy Bob, Nov 1, 2005
  19. Krazy Bob

    Enkidu Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Why don't just you post your question to the official
    >> avast antivirus support forum http://forum.avast.com ?
    >> The staff is very friendly and responsive and I'm sure
    >> they'll find a quick solution to the problem!

    > because i wasn't 100% entirely sure it was a avast
    > problem. ive managed to disable the standard shield and
    > get my cpu back to normal but im still getting terrible
    > ping times now in game when i should only be getting
    > 60-70 im on 2mb plan also. so something is also robbing
    > bandwidth, but neither av scan or ad-aware or spybot or
    > microsoft anti-spyware beta prog has picked up
    > anything....

    Long ping times are not directly related to bandwidth. It's
    like a relatively empty road. You won't get from A to B and
    back any quicker if the road is expanded to four lanes. It's
    only the roadabouts (routers) that cause traffic to queue,
    and they are generally somewhere down the road.

    Broadband is like a four lane highway to your door. The
    bottleneck is more likely to be how fast you can get cars
    (packets) onto the road that is going to slow the traffic
    down *but* once a car gets going it is only the external
    events over which you have that will slow its return.

    In other words, even flooding your available bandwidth
    *probably* won't seriously affect your ping times.

    If I were you I'd get another virus checker (temporarily) to
    double check avast, and I'd probably get a second spyware
    checker too.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 1, 2005
  20. Krazy Bob

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Why don't just you post your question to the official avast
    >> antivirus
    >> support forum http://forum.avast.com ? The staff is very friendly
    >> and
    >> responsive and I'm sure they'll find a quick solution to the
    >> problem!

    > because i wasn't 100% entirely sure it was a avast problem.
    > ive managed to disable the standard shield and get my cpu back to
    > normal
    > but im still getting terrible ping times now in game when i should
    > only be getting 60-70 im on 2mb plan also. so something is also
    > robbing bandwidth, but neither av scan or ad-aware or spybot or
    > microsoft anti-spyware beta prog has picked up anything....

    Following the suggestion to check the Avast site, I think you'll find
    that if you've disabled "standard shield", which is the real-time scan
    for trouble, then you're no longer protected at all. That can't be
    good. Also, Avast seems to be incompatible with certain other
    programs, leading to exactly the symptoms you describe. You might
    want to check whether you're currently running any of those programs.

    Impossible, Nov 1, 2005