    card icon and occasionally displays a message saying it can't use the
    installed card. However, pictures are recorded perfectly and can be
    downloaded perfectly. She's using a PNY 256 MB SD card. Any ideas on this?

    Cooter, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Cooter

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:18:45 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Cooter"
    <> wrote:

    >My wife's CoolPix 3200 shows a red flashing, warning icon under the memory
    >card icon and occasionally displays a message saying it can't use the
    >installed card. However, pictures are recorded perfectly and can be
    >downloaded perfectly. She's using a PNY 256 MB SD card. Any ideas on this?

    The obvious first suggestion is to reformat the card in the camera.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Cooter

    Cooter Guest

    Reformatting the card in the camera is a standard procedure with us after
    downloading to the computer, but thanks for your reply.

    Cooter, Aug 24, 2004
  4. Cooter

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:08:52 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Cooter"
    <> wrote:

    >Reformatting the card in the camera is a standard procedure with us after
    >downloading to the computer, but thanks for your reply.

    Not to be persnickety, but why didn't you take the few second to say just
    that in your original post? You facilitate getting responses which provide
    help. Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine after being around here for 4+
    years.

    Not having hands on experience with SM, the only other thing I've heard
    suggested here in the past would be to gently clean off the exposed
    contacts on the card using a pencil's eraser.

    Ed Ruf, Aug 24, 2004
  5. Cooter

    BobS Guest

    Good point about the cleaning.

    I'll add that I have seen a similar problem and dumb luck prevailed. I
    reformatted the card as you did - didn't cure the problem. I then ran
    Norton Disk Doctor (ver 2003) against it and it corrected some found
    problems. I then reformatted and the card has worked great since.

    This was a SM CF card used on an analyzer but data files are data files.
    Norton was able to clear something up that the format couldn't. Wish I had
    a better explanation but I don't.

    Bob S.

    BobS, Aug 25, 2004