Course and Exam: what do I need to learn

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by William, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. William

    William Guest

    Hi,

    My boss wants our department to get the MCDST exam.
    We did the 2261 course and we wanted to do the 70-271 exam.

    After the course I talked to our instructor and asked whether or not the
    2261 course was enough to pass the 70-271 exam. He told me that it was not. I
    told this to my boss and he contacted the instructor.

    His answer (the instructors) was the following:
    To pass the 70-271 exam you need course 2261 and a part of course 2262.

    To me this sounds a litte strange!

    Why devide the course in two, the exam in two and the self-paced training
    kits in two... and then make the exams not in line with the training kits and
    the courses.

    Can anybody confirm this?

    Thanks,

    William.

    William, Nov 21, 2005

  2. William

    sarath Guest

    William !

    How you came here across the Microsoft website? Its little doubt to me
    because answer is as simple just clicks the link below.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/requirements.asp

    For MCDST you need to pass two core exams. 70-271 and 70-272. What ever you
    mention that 2261 is the number for 271 course Supporting Users Running the
    Microsoft Windows XP Operating System same thing for the 272 you have to
    follow Supporting Users Running Applications on a Microsoft Windows XP
    Operating System (course number 2262).

    Your instructor is wrong. For the 271 exam you no need to follow both
    courses. However, if you are looking for the MCDST you need to follow both.

    --
    Hands that help are holier than lips that pray.

    sarath, Nov 21, 2005

  3. William

    William Guest

    > Your instructor is wrong. For the 271 exam you no need to follow both
    > courses. However, if you are looking for the MCDST you need to follow both.

    That's what I thought.
    They want me to pass the 70-271 exam and told us we should follow the 2261
    and a part of the 2262 course. I thought this was crap, but that is what my
    boss was told.

    Thanks for your answer.

    William

    William, Nov 22, 2005
  4. William

    Taylor Guest

    William,

    You are correct. To find out about the 70-271 course and which
    Microsoft Official Curriculum it pulls from, go here:

    On a different note, you'll find that only one section of the 70-271
    actually pulls from the 2262 MOC. That being said, I would still go and
    take the 2262 MOC as well, however it is not absoultely required for
    the exam. I would see taking the MOC 2262 before you take the 70-271
    and 70-272 to your advantage. Doing this is only to your advantage.

    Taylor, Nov 22, 2005