    I was quoted about $24.00 for Courier Post, or about $19.00 for track'n'trace.

    Is there a premium when sending items across the ditch?

    Thanks.

    Daniel, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:26:57 +1300, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Just curious about courier cost of a graphics card from Dunedin to Wgtn.
    >I was quoted about $24.00 for Courier Post, or about $19.00 for track'n'trace.
    >
    >Is there a premium when sending items across the ditch?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Single items, yes. Take it to some company that has tickets (ie sends
    lots of stuff), and pay them.

    You'd expect a graphics card to be $5-$15, depending on courier,
    whether you want overnight, etc.

    Whatever you do, don't use CourierPost. They're excessively expensive,
    not particularly quick or reliable, and have damaged the most out of
    any courier we've used.

    If you're looking for price, drop it into Fastway's depot. They're
    generally pretty crap, but they're cheap, and don't usually damage or
    lose that many items.

    NZ Couriers are probably the best we've dealt with. They only have an
    overnight service, though, so are a little more expensive. Really
    reliable, prompt, and very little damage.

    2c

    Gurble, Oct 4, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:26:57 +1300, Daniel <>
    > wrote:

    <snip>

    > Whatever you do, don't use CourierPost. They're excessively expensive,
    > not particularly quick or reliable, and have damaged the most out of
    > any courier we've used.

    <snip>

    > NZ Couriers are probably the best we've dealt with. They only have an
    > overnight service, though, so are a little more expensive. Really
    > reliable, prompt, and very little damage.
    >
    > 2c

    Thanks for the info Gurble.

    I've just been to http://www.courierpost.co.nz. Is this the site
    for CourierPost, or is it NZ Couriers?

    Sorry, I just did a google for NZ Couriers and some page pointed to
    that website, which I assumed was CourierPost (so, I'm a little confused).

    Cheers.

    Daniel, Oct 4, 2004
  4. Daniel

    EMB Guest

    Gurble wrote:

    > NZ Couriers are probably the best we've dealt with. They only have an
    > overnight service, though, so are a little more expensive. Really
    > reliable, prompt, and very little damage.

    Today, NZ Couriers left $10K of air tickets in a "Signature Required"
    envelope in the letterbox at my gate whilst there was someone home.
    Said tickets are soaked and absolutely rooted and will cost me
    significant money to get re-issued. Their driver forged a signature and
    removed the courier ticket and tracking ID from the envelope. NZC
    management don't seem overly concerned at present and are siding with
    their monkey. This is the second time they've pulled this stunt - the
    last time was ~$5K of SCSI drives they left in the rain outside my door
    on a Saturday (again whilst someone was home, they didn't knock or ring
    the doorbell either). It's a good job the drives were sealed in plastic
    so there was no damage, but it doesn't change the fact that they are not
    only useless but also lying arseholes.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Oct 4, 2004
  5. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:02:23 +1300, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    >> NZ Couriers are probably the best we've dealt with. They only have an
    >> overnight service, though, so are a little more expensive. Really
    >> reliable, prompt, and very little damage.
    >>
    >> 2c

    >Thanks for the info Gurble.
    >
    >I've just been to http://www.courierpost.co.nz. Is this the site
    >for CourierPost, or is it NZ Couriers?

    That's CourierPost's site.

    NZ Couriers are over at http://www.nzcouriers.co.nz/

    HTH

    Gurble, Oct 4, 2004
  6. Daniel

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Gurble wrote:
    >

    >> NZ Couriers are probably the best we've dealt with. They only have an
    >> overnight service, though, so are a little more expensive. Really
    >> reliable, prompt, and very little damage.

    > Today, NZ Couriers left $10K of air tickets in a "Signature Required"
    > envelope in the letterbox at my gate whilst there was someone home. Said
    > tickets are soaked and absolutely rooted and will cost me significant
    > money to get re-issued. Their driver forged a signature and removed the
    > courier ticket and tracking ID from the envelope. NZC management don't
    > seem overly concerned at present and are siding with their monkey. This
    > is the second time they've pulled this stunt - the last time was ~$5K of
    > SCSI drives they left in the rain outside my door on a Saturday (again
    > whilst someone was home, they didn't knock or ring the doorbell
    > either). It's a good job the drives were sealed in plastic so there was
    > no damage, but it doesn't change the fact that they are not only
    > useless but also lying arseholes.

    I'm sure everybody can tell a horror story about a courier company but
    the drivers are contractors so it very much depends on the individual
    contractor.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 4, 2004
  7. Daniel

    richard Guest

    Gurble wrote:

    > Whatever you do, don't use CourierPost. They're excessively expensive,
    > not particularly quick or reliable, and have damaged the most out of
    > any courier we've used.

    And they are the only ones that will deliver to PO Boxes, so they are my choice
    to have things sent by to me.

    richard, Oct 4, 2004
  8. Daniel

    richard Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Today, NZ Couriers left $10K of air tickets in a "Signature Required"
    > envelope in the letterbox at my gate whilst there was someone home. Said
    > tickets are soaked and absolutely rooted and will cost me significant
    > money to get re-issued. Their driver forged a signature and removed the
    > courier ticket and tracking ID from the envelope. NZC management don't
    > seem overly concerned at present and are siding with their monkey. This
    > is the second time they've pulled this stunt - the last time was ~$5K of
    > SCSI drives they left in the rain outside my door on a Saturday (again
    > whilst someone was home, they didn't knock or ring the doorbell
    > either). It's a good job the drives were sealed in plastic so there was
    > no damage, but it doesn't change the fact that they are not only
    > useless but also lying arseholes.

    I have a camera at the front door and some sketchey windows motion capture
    software for this exact reason, annoyingly enough, since I have actually being
    recording the camera, not a single courier has dropped the ball so to speak,
    always leaving a card to call and then insisting on me coming to the door on
    saturday when they re-delivered (Usually at stupidly early times like 7:30)

    richard, Oct 4, 2004
  9. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:50:17 +1300, richard <> wrote:

    >Gurble wrote:
    >

    >> Whatever you do, don't use CourierPost. They're excessively expensive,
    >> not particularly quick or reliable, and have damaged the most out of
    >> any courier we've used.

    >And they are the only ones that will deliver to PO Boxes, so they are my choice
    >to have things sent by to me.

    Yes, this anti-competitive behavior by NZ Post is another reason *not*
    to use them.

    Gurble, Oct 4, 2004
  10. Daniel

    richard Guest

    Gurble wrote:

    >>And they are the only ones that will deliver to PO Boxes, so they are my choice
    >>to have things sent by to me.

    > Yes, this anti-competitive behavior by NZ Post is another reason *not*
    > to use them.

    Well perhaps if the courier industry was as regulated as the postal industry
    then others would be able to deliver to PO boxes. Till then I prefer courier
    post since it gives me a place to pick the goods up from, authough I wish that
    nzpost would start to have drop boxes in the foyer so I didnt have to go during
    working hours to get packages.

    richard, Oct 4, 2004
  11. Daniel

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:14:05 +1300, richard <> wrote:

    >Gurble wrote:
    >
    >>>And they are the only ones that will deliver to PO Boxes, so they are my choice
    >>>to have things sent by to me.

    >> Yes, this anti-competitive behavior by NZ Post is another reason *not*
    >> to use them.

    >Well perhaps if the courier industry was as regulated as the postal industry
    >then others would be able to deliver to PO boxes. Till then I prefer courier
    >post since it gives me a place to pick the goods up from, authough I wish that
    >nzpost would start to have drop boxes in the foyer so I didnt have to go during
    >working hours to get packages.

    Why don't you just get them delivered to work in the first place?

    Craig Shore, Oct 4, 2004
  12. Daniel

    colinco Guest

    In article EMB says...
    > Today, NZ Couriers left $10K of air tickets in a "Signature Required"
    > envelope in the letterbox at my gate whilst there was someone home.
    > Said tickets are soaked and absolutely rooted and will cost me
    > significant money to get re-issued.

    Spend some money on a decent letterbox while you're at it

    colinco, Oct 4, 2004
  13. In article <y368d.6430$>, Daniel <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Just curious about courier cost of a graphics card from Dunedin to Wgtn.
    >I was quoted about $24.00 for Courier Post, or about $19.00 for track'n'trace.
    >
    >Is there a premium when sending items across the ditch?

    Yes. ... but why courier ? Post is cheaper ... and often as quick (or
    quicker). Unless it's worth heaps, it's probably a better bet :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 4, 2004
  14. Daniel

    Bob McLellan Guest

    Yes there is a premium. Most cost effective is NZ Post's Packet Post,
    for parcels up to about the size of a ream of paper but less than 1.5kg.
    $3.50 anywhere in NZ. I've never lost one yet.

    Bob McLellan, Oct 5, 2004
  15. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just curious about courier cost of a graphics card from Dunedin to Wgtn.
    > I was quoted about $24.00 for Courier Post, or about $19.00 for
    > track'n'trace.
    >
    > Is there a premium when sending items across the ditch?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Thanks for all the replies.

    I think that the NZ post option is definitely something to keep in mind
    for future (depending on the package of course).

    Daniel, Oct 6, 2004
  16. In article <cjv8sp$1i3$>, Daniel <> wrote:
    >Daniel wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Just curious about courier cost of a graphics card from Dunedin to Wgtn.
    >> I was quoted about $24.00 for Courier Post, or about $19.00 for
    >> track'n'trace.
    >>
    >> Is there a premium when sending items across the ditch?

    >Thanks for all the replies.
    >
    >I think that the NZ post option is definitely something to keep in mind
    >for future (depending on the package of course).

    Remember too ... there is compensation available for anything lost or
    damaged in the post. Yes it might take a while and I'm not sure what the
    current maximum is.

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 6, 2004
  17. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:19:46 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    >In article <cjv8sp$1i3$>, Daniel <> wrote:
    >>Daniel wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Just curious about courier cost of a graphics card from Dunedin to Wgtn.
    >>> I was quoted about $24.00 for Courier Post, or about $19.00 for
    >>> track'n'trace.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a premium when sending items across the ditch?

    >>Thanks for all the replies.
    >>
    >>I think that the NZ post option is definitely something to keep in mind
    >>for future (depending on the package of course).

    >Remember too ... there is compensation available for anything lost or
    >damaged in the post. Yes it might take a while and I'm not sure what the
    >current maximum is.

    It's $1500. All couriers etc have to include $1500 insurance, in
    keeping with the Carraige of Good Act.

    Gurble, Oct 6, 2004
  18. In article <>, Gurble <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:19:46 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >>In article <cjv8sp$1i3$>, Daniel <>

    > wrote:

    >>>Thanks for all the replies.
    >>>
    >>>I think that the NZ post option is definitely something to keep in mind
    >>>for future (depending on the package of course).

    >>Remember too ... there is compensation available for anything lost or
    >>damaged in the post. Yes it might take a while and I'm not sure what the
    >>current maximum is.
    >>

    >It's $1500. All couriers etc have to include $1500 insurance, in
    >keeping with the Carraige of Good Act.

    Is that for postage as well ? I'm not referring to courier post her ... just
    post. :) If it is $1500, that's gone up a lot in the last few years :)

    Thanks

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 6, 2004
  19. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:43:53 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    >>>Remember too ... there is compensation available for anything lost or
    >>>damaged in the post. Yes it might take a while and I'm not sure what the
    >>>current maximum is.
    >>>

    >>It's $1500. All couriers etc have to include $1500 insurance, in
    >>keeping with the Carraige of Good Act.

    >Is that for postage as well ? I'm not referring to courier post her ... just
    >post. :) If it is $1500, that's gone up a lot in the last few years :)
    >
    >Thanks

    The Act applies to anyone carrying goods, and cannot be contracted out
    of. (Some areas can, but not the liability provisions).

    It was $500 before 1986's amendment, which put it up to $1000. Then,
    in 1989, the liability was raised to $1500, and, again, applies to
    anyone carrying goods (including NZ Post).

    Interestingly, however, they state compensation "up to $250". I'd be
    interested to know the legalities of this.

    http://www.nzpost.co.nz/nzpost/control/postshop/dom_parcels/packetpost

    HTH

    Gurble, Oct 6, 2004
  20. In article <>, Gurble <> wrote:

    >>>It's $1500. All couriers etc have to include $1500 insurance, in
    >>>keeping with the Carraige of Good Act.

    >>Is that for postage as well ? I'm not referring to courier post her ... just
    >>post. :) If it is $1500, that's gone up a lot in the last few years :)

    >The Act applies to anyone carrying goods, and cannot be contracted out
    >of. (Some areas can, but not the liability provisions).
    >
    >It was $500 before 1986's amendment, which put it up to $1000. Then,
    >in 1989, the liability was raised to $1500, and, again, applies to
    >anyone carrying goods (including NZ Post).
    >
    >Interestingly, however, they state compensation "up to $250". I'd be
    >interested to know the legalities of this.
    >
    >http://www.nzpost.co.nz/nzpost/control/postshop/dom_parcels/packetpost
    >HTH

    Indeed. Thanks. The $250 number is probably what I was remembering. Still a
    reasonable amount for most stuff.

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 6, 2004