    rather have a physical connection.

    Thanks for any advice.

    , Jun 23, 2010

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
    > came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
    > however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
    > I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.
    >
    > I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
    > will respond to the other without the software installed.
    >
    > Is there any way around this without the installation software? The
    > external drive now contains some iTunes files that I need to transfer.
    >
    > Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
    > Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
    > Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.
    >
    > Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
    > it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
    > the Internet going forward?
    >
    > Might be worth pointing out at this point that I am not on WiFi, but
    > rather have a physical connection.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.

    Your question lacks details, as to what software you installed. It's going
    to be pretty hard, to track down how *some* software intended for disk
    handling, has upset the automated setup of computer networking. If there
    were program names, perhaps a URL for the web page where you can download
    the software, that might make it easier to answer.

    *******

    When it comes to sharing stuff between computers, what you're looking for,
    is what features they support in common.

    First of all, when you buy a disk, its empty. It needs partitions place
    on it. Each partition is a "container". Inside the partition is a file system.
    There are many different files systems.

    OK, so we look at some details on file systems.

    Linux supports EXT2 (an example of a native file system) as well as NTFS and FAT32.

    There are some suggestions here for the Mac. I believe FAT32 support was
    around for the Mac, even before MacOSX. Back in Mac OS 9, you might have been
    able to access FAT32 partitions.

    http://guides.macrumors.com/File_systems

    The PC supports NTFS and FAT32. And can support other file systems, with
    additional software. (I have an older Windows machine set up to work with EXT2 for
    example.)

    The common denominator is FAT32.

    FAT32 has some limits. You can't have a single file larger than 4GB. The various
    OSes also have some slight issues with file name length. On the older Mac OS, you'd
    have to avoid extremely long Windows file names, if moving files between partitions.

    It's possible, if you'd put a partition with FAT32 on the new disk,
    that the hard drive could have been used with *no* additional
    software by any of the computers. As long as a computer OS is modern
    enough, to have a built-in USB Mass Storage driver, that allows it
    to see the raw disk. Then, a file system driver, such as the widespread
    FAT32 support, provides each OS with the ability to read and write files
    to a FAT32 partition.

    On Windows, if you go to Start : Run and enter diskmgmt.msc as the name
    of a program to run, that will bring up the Disk Management window. In there,
    you can look at the partitions on your many disks, see what types they are
    and so on. If a partition had HFS+ on it, Windows isn't going to know what
    that is (it may be marked as "unknown" and "healthy" or something similar).

    This is what a portion of that display would look like. In this
    example, a physical disk ("Disk 0") has two partitions on it, plus some
    area that hasn't yet been assigned to a partition. Here, I can see that
    the C: partition is FAT32, and I would have a suspicion that passing this
    disk between computers, they could all see it (Linux/Windows/Mac).

    | +-----------------+--------------+-----------------+
    Disk 0 | | C: | D: | Unallocated |
    Basic | | FAT32 | NTFS | |
    xxx GB | | Healthy (Active)| Healthy | |
    Online | +-----------------+--------------+-----------------+

    There is a wonderful tool for answering that question ("what's in that partition"),
    but unfortunately, it hasn't been ported to all platforms, and would be
    nothing but a nuisance if I mentioned it to you. To narrow it down, all
    you really need to remember, is which platform you originally prepared the
    disk on, to give you some hints as to what file systems are in use on the disk.

    New disks, come with some initial file system on them, when they come from
    the manufacturer in an enclosure. And the file system might be something
    Windows recognizes. So if you don't remember ever having partitioned
    or formatted the disk, chances are it has something like FAT32 or NTFS on it.

    If you want help with your software problem, you'd need to provide details
    as to what programs you used, to mess up the machine. Otherwise, it's pretty
    hard to guess. Properly designed disk formatting software, has no reason
    to be messing up network protocol stacks. Something else may have done that.

    *******

    Using the search term "obtain an ip address automatically", I can find
    articles like this to help me with getting a PC to do things automatically.
    This should work for a wired connection.

    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4033

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 24, 2010

  3. In article <KbwUn.18742$m87.13482@hurricane>, "" <> writes:

    >I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
    >came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
    >however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
    >I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.
    >
    >I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
    >will respond to the other without the software installed.

    Please tell us the exact model of your external drive.

    >Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
    >Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
    >Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.

    Please let us know how exactly you connected your Mac and your PC with your
    Internet connection. In addition, what kind/model/type of router/modem do you
    have for your Internet connection?

    >Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
    >it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
    >the Internet going forward?

    Sure, provided that we have sufficient information.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie

    Christoph Gartmann, Jun 24, 2010
  4. Guest

    On 24/06/2010 08:21, Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    > In article<KbwUn.18742$m87.13482@hurricane>, ""<> writes:
    >
    >> I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
    >> came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
    >> however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
    >> I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.
    >>
    >> I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
    >> will respond to the other without the software installed.

    > Please tell us the exact model of your external drive.

    Acomdata is the name of the drive.

    >> Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
    >> Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
    >> Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.

    > Please let us know how exactly you connected your Mac and your PC with your
    > Internet connection. In addition, what kind/model/type of router/modem do you
    > have for your Internet connection?
    >
    >> Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
    >> it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
    >> the Internet going forward?

    > Sure, provided that we have sufficient information.

    What specifically do you need?

    , Jun 26, 2010