couple of questions on lens hood...does it have to be Sony AND plastic or rubber

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nixjunk, May 19, 2004.

  1. nixjunk

    nixjunk Guest

    >I have a Sony F717 and want to get a lens hood....do I have to buy the Sony
    >hood or will any 58mm hood work?
    >
    >Also what are the opinions of rubber vs. plastic vs. metal?
    >
    >Thx.
    >
    >mb

    Any brand will do that suffiently covers the lens without interfering with the
    picture. Rubber is better for when you bump the hood, and you will, the rubber
    will give whereas plastic will just transfer the shock to the camera. It also
    stores better.

    Overall, I'd say don't bother and learn to use your hand while gripping the end
    of the lens for the relatively few times you really have to worry about lens
    flare.

    nixjunk, May 19, 2004

  2. "michael" <no more spam> wrote in

    > I have a Sony F717 and want to get a lens hood....do I have to buy the
    > Sony hood or will any 58mm hood work?

    It is almost always best to buy the lens hood that was specifically made
    for a given lens by the manufacturer, when at all possible.

    Advice: put your camera model in the subject line to draw other F717 owners
    into the thread. You might find someone who has been in the same boat.

    --
    "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

    -Richard Cockburn

    michael, May 19, 2004
  4. Richard Cockburn <> wrote in

    > "michael" <no more spam> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a Sony F717 and want to get a lens hood....do I have to buy
    >> the Sony hood or will any 58mm hood work?

    > It is almost always best to buy the lens hood that was specifically
    > made for a given lens by the manufacturer, when at all possible.
    >
    > Advice: put your camera model in the subject line to draw other F717
    > owners into the thread. You might find someone who has been in the
    > same boat.

    You might ;-)

    I'm using a rubber 58mm hood on an F717 right now. Works fine, with
    one exception - it blocks the built-in flash big time. But I think any hood
    would do that.

    Remember that the lens goes pretty wide angle, so you can't get a
    deep hood, or it'll start peeking into the corners of the pictures taken
    with short focal lengths. A collapsible one can help with this, as long as
    you remember it's there and collapse it for wide-angle shots.

    A collapsible hood also makes it easier to pop the camera into the
    bag without removing it, and won't scuff glass or plexi if you have to
    shoot right against them (and subsequently prevents reflections). You can
    also mount a filter to it easily.

    - Al.

    --
    To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain

    Al Denelsbeck, May 19, 2004
  5. Al Denelsbeck <> wrote in

    > Richard Cockburn <> wrote in
    >
    >> "michael" <no more spam> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a Sony F717 and want to get a lens hood....do I have to buy
    >>> the Sony hood or will any 58mm hood work?

    >> It is almost always best to buy the lens hood that was specifically
    >> made for a given lens by the manufacturer, when at all possible.
    >>
    >> Advice: put your camera model in the subject line to draw other F717
    >> owners into the thread. You might find someone who has been in the
    >> same boat.

    > You might ;-)
    >
    > I'm using a rubber 58mm hood on an F717 right now. Works
    > fine, with
    > one exception - it blocks the built-in flash big time. But I think any
    > hood would do that.
    >
    > Remember that the lens goes pretty wide angle, so you can't
    > get a
    > deep hood, or it'll start peeking into the corners of the pictures
    > taken with short focal lengths. A collapsible one can help with this,
    > as long as you remember it's there and collapse it for wide-angle
    > shots.
    >
    > A collapsible hood also makes it easier to pop the camera
    > into the
    > bag without removing it, and won't scuff glass or plexi if you have to
    > shoot right against them (and subsequently prevents reflections). You
    > can also mount a filter to it easily.
    >

    > - Al.

    Al, Dude do you ever sleep? ;-)

    Richard Cockburn, May 19, 2004
  6. michael wrote:
    > I have a Sony F717 and want to get a lens hood....do I have to buy
    > the Sony hood or will any 58mm hood work?
    >
    > Also what are the opinions of rubber vs. plastic vs. metal?
    >
    > Thx.
    >
    > mb

    A lens hood needs to do two things.

    It need to attach to the camera. So yes any 58mm should do that.

    It needs to be matched to the lens. This means it provides the most
    protection without becoming part of the image. With any zoom lens this is a
    compromise.

    It also needs NOT to do some things, like interfering with the flash.

    Buying the manufacturer's recommended hood generally assures you meet
    all these requirements. It also means you are likely paying more than you
    might otherwise.

    If you are really critical, then you may want a collection of hoods for
    a singe zoom lens.

    Frankly, while I do have several lens hoods, I most often use my hand to
    do the job. I am more likely to use a lens hood to help prevent lens
    damage. It really depends on what I am doing and what lens I am using.
    Some lenses are more likely than others to experience flare problems.

    Good Luck

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, May 19, 2004
  7. Richard Cockburn <> wrote in

    > Al, Dude do you ever sleep? ;-)

    Golly, mo, man, then I might miss something!

    ;-) right back

    - Al.

    --
    To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain

    Al Denelsbeck, May 19, 2004