    computer now hangs on shutdown. it clears the screen and logs off, but
    never completely shuts off?

    any hints, tips or tricks whould be appreciated. i'm down to my last straw.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmxhZ2Vsa2x1Z2Vu?=, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Someone had a similar issue in April, but this was on a Server 2003
    Enterprise Edition 32 bit. The solution was to install the Service Pack and
    reboot.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005

  3. all updates have already been installed.

    also, reboot doesn't really work that well because the system hangs on
    shutdown...

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmxhZ2Vsa2x1Z2Vu?=, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Anything showing in your event log? This sounds like an issue with networking
    (duh), and you shouldn't be seeing anything there. The Marvel that is on the
    mobo has good drivers and I haven't seen ANY issue joining the domain or
    shutting down.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 13, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ZmxhZ2Vsa2x1Z2Vu?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Shut down issues usually are due to a setting on the motherboard or windows
    power options getting flipped. Check both places.

    John Barnes, Jun 14, 2005
  6. I have experienced this problem, too. However the problem isn't related to
    BIOS, as after a fresh installation (with only drivers installed) the system
    was able to shut down correctly. I suspect that some application caused this
    issue, however I tried running "sfc /scannow" but every system file was ok,
    so I really dunno what to do...

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJha2tuYXI=?=, Jun 15, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?ZmxhZ2Vsa2x1Z2Vu?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You didn't say you checked the shut-down in Windows Power Options. Maybe
    one of your drivers or programs reset it. Worth a check. I have had random
    settings flip in every Windows system I have had. Not often but maybe once
    or twice a year.

    John Barnes, Jun 15, 2005
  8. I checked it and they were ok, I set them again but with no luck. The first
    time the PC shutted down succesfully but then after leaving it on for some
    hours it couldn't shut down properly again. I still suspect that a program is
    the cause ot these problem, but I still have to figure out what it is.

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJha2tuYXI=?=, Jun 16, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?ZmxhZ2Vsa2x1Z2Vu?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You do have a problem and I don't know if someone else has a better
    suggestion, but I once had the same problem and before shutdown I watch the
    processes shut down in task manager, remember the last processes left before
    the panel closes. Then one by one when closing down I end the processes
    manually until I find the offending process. Then you find the associated
    program and do what you have to do. Uninstall and reinstall or just get rid
    of it depending on your needs. Horrible procedure but I did find it
    eventually. Weren't too many left anyway. Good luck. Maybe someone else
    knows a program or utility that will show the shutdown steps.

    John Barnes, Jun 17, 2005
  10. Thank you very much, I'll try using this method. Maybe I found two programs
    that could be the cause of this issue. If I have some news I'll post them
    here :).
    Best Regards.

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJha2tuYXI=?=, Jun 18, 2005