Couple of n00b questions - please help :)

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Hellraiser, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Hellraiser

    Hellraiser Guest

    Like the idea of not paying Teleworst £10.50/month, so am on the verge of
    getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this. I
    have a couple of questions though....

    1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My wife
    tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and she'll
    probably have me shot if this doesn't work :)

    2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a little and as the Sky
    uses the PSTN to communicate with head office via 33.6k modem, will this
    work over VoIP as well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a PAP2 on
    voip.co.uk or similar?

    3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem to be much of a
    muchness, but I ideally want one without a monthly charge who will do direct
    debit, allow premium rate/modem calling, give me a geographical number and
    be reliable for as little as possible :)

    Thanks all

    Hellraiser.............>

    Hellraiser, Mar 5, 2006

  2. Hellraiser

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Hellraiser" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > Like the idea of not paying Teleworst £10.50/month, so am
    > on the verge of getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my
    > phone requirements across to this. I have a couple of
    > questions though....
    > 1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx
    > numbers)? My wife tends to enter a lot of these
    > competitions you see on the telly and she'll probably
    > have me shot if this doesn't work :)

    As a general rule, no. Some providers may allow it but I don't know of any
    offhand.

    > 2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a
    > little and as the Sky uses the PSTN to communicate with
    > head office via 33.6k modem, will this work over VoIP as
    > well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a PAP2 on
    > voip.co.uk or similar?

    Again, some people have reported problems with this. I personally wouldn't
    touch $ky with a bargepole so I'm not really the best person to ask..!

    > 3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem
    > to be much of a muchness, but I ideally want one without
    > a monthly charge who will do direct debit, allow premium
    > rate/modem calling, give me a geographical number and be
    > reliable for as little as possible :)

    The $64,000 question..! Sipgate don't have a monthly charge but have had
    reliability problems. Gradwell have a reputation for reliability, but
    charge £4+VAT per month. I have no experience of any other providers so
    you'll have to see what others say.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Hellraiser

    > Guest

    I have the PAP2, a bit of a sod to setup, I am with sipdiscount only for a
    couple of day now and no probs at all just free calls :) at £1.70 per month
    with free uk land lines :)

    Neil
    > Like the idea of not paying Teleworst £10.50/month, so am on the verge of
    > getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this.
    > I have a couple of questions though....
    >
    > 1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My
    > wife tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and
    > she'll probably have me shot if this doesn't work :)
    >
    > 2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a little and as the
    > Sky uses the PSTN to communicate with head office via 33.6k modem, will
    > this work over VoIP as well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a
    > PAP2 on voip.co.uk or similar?
    >
    > 3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem to be much of a
    > muchness, but I ideally want one without a monthly charge who will do
    > direct debit, allow premium rate/modem calling, give me a geographical
    > number and be reliable for as little as possible :)
    >
    > Thanks all
    >
    > Hellraiser.............>
    >

    >, Mar 5, 2006
  4. Hellraiser

    Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:02:42 GMT, "><\)\)\)'> Orange Peel <'\(\(\(><"
    <> wrote:

    >I have the PAP2, a bit of a sod to setup,

    From what I have seen it is no different to set up than a Sipura2000
    the inst book is the same . What problems did you encounter then I
    only ask because I have just bought one this afternoon .

    , Mar 5, 2006
  5. Hellraiser

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 13:32:30 -0000, "Hellraiser"
    <> wrote:

    >Like the idea of not paying Teleworst £10.50/month, so am on the verge of
    >getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this. I
    >have a couple of questions though....
    >
    >1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My wife
    >tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and she'll
    >probably have me shot if this doesn't work :)

    Probably not. I think that you would have to make email enquiries to
    operators in order to find out. However, I think that you might be
    better pursuing landline companies that might route these numbers for
    you, via a 'callthrough' and have a number that can be accessed from
    voip - perhaps a standard geographic or an 08 number access.

    >2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a little and as the Sky
    >uses the PSTN to communicate with head office via 33.6k modem, will this
    >work over VoIP as well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a PAP2 on
    >voip.co.uk or similar?

    It might work ....like fax might work. You won't know for sure until
    you try it.

    >3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem to be much of a
    >muchness, but I ideally want one without a monthly charge who will do direct
    >debit, allow premium rate/modem calling, give me a geographical number and
    >be reliable for as little as possible :)

    voipfone.co.uk - excelllent incoming services
    voip.co.uk - excellent UK tariff.

    You might be best advised to install your voip before burning your
    boats with TW. That way you wil find whether there are ways of
    accessing the numbers you require. You can have an unlimited number of
    outgoing providers if you know how to configure your dial plan. You
    are NOT limited to the provider you receive your calls from.

    Other than this group check out google groups, for previous postings,
    and voxilla.com for more information.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 5, 2006
  6. Hellraiser

    Hellraiser Guest

    > You might be best advised to install your voip before burning your
    > boats with TW. That way you wil find whether there are ways of
    > accessing the numbers you require. You can have an unlimited number of
    > outgoing providers if you know how to configure your dial plan. You
    > are NOT limited to the provider you receive your calls from.

    Many thanks for the advice - I don't tend to use the landline much anyhow,
    but will get my PAP2 first, unlock it then have a play :)

    Cheers all

    Hellraiser...............>

    Hellraiser, Mar 5, 2006
  7. Hellraiser

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:09:49 -0000, "Hellraiser"
    <> wrote:

    >> You might be best advised to install your voip before burning your
    >> boats with TW. That way you wil find whether there are ways of
    >> accessing the numbers you require. You can have an unlimited number of
    >> outgoing providers if you know how to configure your dial plan. You
    >> are NOT limited to the provider you receive your calls from.
    >>

    >Many thanks for the advice - I don't tend to use the landline much anyhow,
    >but will get my PAP2 first, unlock it then have a play :)

    Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
    safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
    the firmware. There's lots written on the Net about it. Good Luck!
    Let know how you got on...without being too specific.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 5, 2006
  8. Hellraiser

    Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:30:21 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
    >safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
    >the firmware.

    I think I have just unlocked mine all I think I need to get into the
    admin it is a user name and password ! .

    , Mar 5, 2006
  9. Hellraiser

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:41:06 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:30:21 GMT, Brian A
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
    >>safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
    >>the firmware.

    >I think I have just unlocked mine all I think I need to get into the
    >admin it is a user name and password ! .

    But that is the whole point...if you knew the username and password it
    wouldn't be locked.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 5, 2006
  10. Hellraiser

    Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:55:46 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:41:06 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:30:21 GMT, Brian A
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
    >>>safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
    >>>the firmware.

    >>I think I have just unlocked mine all I think I need to get into the
    >>admin it is a user name and password ! .

    >But that is the whole point...if you knew the username and password it
    >wouldn't be locked.

    I do not think it is quite that simple I could not even get into it
    before inputting some codes via the phone which I found on Google
    and there are quite a number of people saying they have an unlocked
    one and no one has even mentioned passwords or user names .
    I have bought a unlocked one of ebay this afternoon and have been sent
    the passwords nothing special just the same as for the Sipura's but
    won't work on the one I have here .

    , Mar 6, 2006
  11. Hellraiser

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:31:46 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:55:46 GMT, Brian A
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:41:06 GMT, wrote:

    >>>I think I have just unlocked mine all I think I need to get into the
    >>>admin it is a user name and password ! .

    >>But that is the whole point...if you knew the username and password it
    >>wouldn't be locked.

    >I do not think it is quite that simple I could not even get into it
    >before inputting some codes via the phone which I found on Google
    >and there are quite a number of people saying they have an unlocked
    >one and no one has even mentioned passwords or user names .
    >I have bought a unlocked one of ebay this afternoon and have been sent
    >the passwords nothing special just the same as for the Sipura's but
    >won't work on the one I have here .

    You are quite right in that you do have to do an initial set up via
    the phone. You have to set up your IP etc. so that you can get the web
    interface to work. That applies equally to locked or unlocked.
    However, if you get a locked one you won't get access to the admin
    page or, quite often, be able to perform a factory reset, without the
    appropriate password. For admin the username is admin - however, the
    password remains secret for locked devices. You may be able spoof them
    if you set up a DNS and then set up your own password that way. With
    an unlocked device you should be able to get stright in without any
    username or password. You usually set the password after. Linksys and
    Sipura are one of the same. You can, for example, choose to buy a
    Sipura SPA-3000 or a Linksys SPA-3000.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 6, 2006
  12. Hellraiser

    Tim Clark Guest

    In article <>,
    "Hellraiser" <> writes:
    > Like the idea of not paying Teleworst £10.50/month, so am on the verge of
    > getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this. I
    > have a couple of questions though....
    >
    > 1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My wife
    > tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and she'll
    > probably have me shot if this doesn't work :)

    A better idea is to implement Asterisk and terminate all calls to those
    09xxx numbers with a local IVR application which reponds, "Thank you for
    entering the competition, what is your answer?". It should then ask for
    the caller's name, telephone number and address. From the money saved in
    premium rate calls, you can afford to post a few pounds "winnings" to
    your wife once in a while, and pocket the rest. Your wife will be well
    pleased with all the money she's winning - unless she finds you out - in
    which case make sure the numbers for Relate, NHS Direct, or your
    solicitors do really work.

    --
    Tim Clark

    Tim Clark, Mar 6, 2006
  13. Hellraiser

    DJ Guest

    In message <>, Tim Clark
    <> writes
    >In article <>,
    > "Hellraiser" <> writes:
    >> Like the idea of not paying Teleworst £10.50/month, so am on the verge of
    >> getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this. I
    >> have a couple of questions though....
    >>
    >> 1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My wife
    >> tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and she'll
    >> probably have me shot if this doesn't work :)

    >A better idea is to implement Asterisk and terminate all calls to those
    >09xxx numbers with a local IVR application which reponds, "Thank you for
    >entering the competition, what is your answer?". It should then ask for
    >the caller's name, telephone number and address. From the money saved in
    >premium rate calls, you can afford to post a few pounds "winnings" to
    >your wife once in a while, and pocket the rest. Your wife will be well
    >pleased with all the money she's winning - unless she finds you out - in
    >which case make sure the numbers for Relate, NHS Direct, or your
    >solicitors do really work.

    Very Funny, I fell off my chair when I read that.
    Nice to see someone with a sense of humour on here.

    --
    DJ

    DJ, Mar 6, 2006
  14. Hellraiser

    Hellraiser Guest

    >> 1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My
    >> wife
    >> tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and
    >> she'll
    >> probably have me shot if this doesn't work :)

    > A better idea is to implement Asterisk and terminate all calls to those
    > 09xxx numbers with a local IVR application which reponds, "Thank you for
    > entering the competition, what is your answer?". It should then ask for
    > the caller's name, telephone number and address. From the money saved in
    > premium rate calls, you can afford to post a few pounds "winnings" to
    > your wife once in a while, and pocket the rest. Your wife will be well
    > pleased with all the money she's winning - unless she finds you out - in
    > which case make sure the numbers for Relate, NHS Direct, or your
    > solicitors do really work.

    Nice idea, if I valued my testicles a little less I might even have gone for
    it :)

    Hellraiser...........>

    Hellraiser, Mar 6, 2006
  15. Hellraiser

    Hellraiser Guest

    >>Many thanks for the advice - I don't tend to use the landline much anyhow,
    >>but will get my PAP2 first, unlock it then have a play :)

    > Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
    > safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
    > the firmware. There's lots written on the Net about it. Good Luck!
    > Let know how you got on...without being too specific.

    Ha! I laugh in the face of firmware - I'm a veteran of this kind of thing,
    hot-flashing BIOS chips in motherboards, chipping consoles, cross-flashing
    devices, etc. If I kill it it's only 20 quid and the potential benefits far
    outweigh the risks :) One thing I might do is see if there's an option of
    having a local DNS on my router (or at least a static host table) whereby it
    automatically resolves Vonage's TFTP server to my PC, saves any problems if
    I factory reset it and forget to disconnect it from the net :)

    Hellraiser..............>

    Hellraiser, Mar 6, 2006
  16. Hellraiser

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Tim Clark" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > A better idea is to implement Asterisk and terminate all
    > calls to those 09xxx numbers with a local IVR application
    > which reponds, "Thank you for entering the competition,
    > what is your answer?". It should then ask for the
    > caller's name, telephone number and address. From the
    > money saved in premium rate calls, you can afford to post
    > a few pounds "winnings" to your wife once in a while, and
    > pocket the rest. Your wife will be well pleased with all
    > the money she's winning - unless she finds you out - in
    > which case make sure the numbers for Relate, NHS Direct,
    > or your solicitors do really work.

    ROFL..!

    Like it..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 7, 2006
  17. Tim Clark wrote:
    > A better idea is to implement Asterisk and terminate all calls to those
    > 09xxx numbers with a local IVR application which reponds, "Thank you for
    > entering the competition, what is your answer?". It should then ask for
    > the caller's name, telephone number and address. From the money saved in
    > premium rate calls, you can afford to post a few pounds "winnings" to
    > your wife once in a while, and pocket the rest. Your wife will be well
    > pleased with all the money she's winning - unless she finds you out - in
    > which case make sure the numbers for Relate, NHS Direct, or your
    > solicitors do really work.

    Don't forget 999 :D

    ~ Rich

    Richard Smith, Mar 7, 2006
  18. Hellraiser

    Hellraiser Guest

    >>>Many thanks for the advice - I don't tend to use the landline much
    >>>anyhow,
    >>>but will get my PAP2 first, unlock it then have a play :)

    >> Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
    >> safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
    >> the firmware. There's lots written on the Net about it. Good Luck!
    >> Let know how you got on...without being too specific.

    > Ha! I laugh in the face of firmware - I'm a veteran of this kind of thing,
    > hot-flashing BIOS chips in motherboards, chipping consoles, cross-flashing
    > devices, etc. If I kill it it's only 20 quid and the potential benefits
    > far outweigh the risks :) One thing I might do is see if there's an
    > option of having a local DNS on my router (or at least a static host
    > table) whereby it automatically resolves Vonage's TFTP server to my PC,
    > saves any problems if I factory reset it and forget to disconnect it from
    > the net :)

    Cool, it is done - got it flashed, unlocked and set up on sipdiscount.com. I
    am *most* impressed with audio quality, will test it further tomorrow but
    this looks like a nice bit of kit!

    Hellraiser............>

    Hellraiser, Mar 20, 2006