Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by S.V.Proff, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. S.V.Proff

    S.V.Proff Guest

    A friend's kid is having problems playing Counterstrike 3D v 1.6 on a
    Dell laptop.

    Dell is an Inspiron 5150. I do not recognize the video card right away
    but here are the specs and the operating system:

    SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
    384 MB
    64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
    WINDOWS XP HOME

    I have a suspicion that this configuration does not have the
    appropriate video card for this game.

    Any comments?

    Thanks!

    Sam
    [PLEASE do not e-mail me, my address is spam-proofed.]

    S.V.Proff, Jan 13, 2004

  2. S.V.Proff

    ICee Guest

    S.V.Proff wrote:
    > A friend's kid is having problems playing Counterstrike 3D v 1.6 on a
    > Dell laptop.
    >
    > Dell is an Inspiron 5150. I do not recognize the video card right away
    > but here are the specs and the operating system:
    >
    > SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
    > 384 MB
    > 64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
    > WINDOWS XP HOME
    >
    > I have a suspicion that this configuration does not have the
    > appropriate video card for this game.
    >
    > Any comments?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Sam
    > [PLEASE do not e-mail me, my address is spam-proofed.]

    Have him check the requirements for the game. I think it requires a
    video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon 9000
    only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
    http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9000/index.html

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 13, 2004

  3. "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > > SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
    > > 384 MB
    > > 64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
    > > WINDOWS XP HOME

    > Have him check the requirements for the game. I think it requires a
    > video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon

    9000
    > only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
    > http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9000/index.html

    Counterstrike and the half-life engine on which it is based was
    written before DirectX 8 was invented so it in fact does not require
    DX9 support.

    The radeon mobility (and the rest of the machine) is more than enough
    to handle CS.

    Exactly what problem and/or error messages does he get?

    Andy, just Andy, Jan 13, 2004
  4. S.V.Proff

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, ICee mused:

    | Have him check the requirements for the game. I think it requires a
    | video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon 9000
    | only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
    | http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9000/index.html

    Counterstrike is not a DX9 game. I don't think it's even a DX8 game.
    It is a mod from the original Half-Life game. HL's graphic engine is merely
    a heavily modified Quake 1 engine. So, DirectX support should not be a
    problem.

    mhicaoidh, Jan 13, 2004
  5. S.V.Proff

    ICee Guest

    mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, ICee mused:
    >>
    >> Have him check the requirements for the game. I think it requires a
    >> video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon
    >> 9000 only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
    >> http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9000/index.html

    > Counterstrike is not a DX9 game. I don't think it's even a DX8
    > game. It is a mod from the original Half-Life game. HL's graphic
    > engine is merely a heavily modified Quake 1 engine. So, DirectX
    > support should not be a problem.

    Wasn't sure. Thought it was newer than that, but I don't keep up, as
    you may have guessed. :)
    Maybe he just needs to update DirectX on the laptop. Of course, as Andy
    said, more info on the problem would be helpful.

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 13, 2004
  6. S.V.Proff

    Bertie Guest

    When you say problems what do u mean?

    Bertie, Jan 13, 2004
  7. S.V.Proff

    pcbutts1 Guest

    His Video card is fine and it does handle DX90b My Mobility 7500 works
    perfectly.

    pcbutts1, Jan 14, 2004
  8. S.V.Proff

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Try lowering the game Resolution.

    pcbutts1, Jan 14, 2004
  9. My guess would be that the car doesn't properly uspport Open GL,
    so it's defaulting to software mode.

    Joseph Oberlander, Jan 14, 2004
  10. (S.V.Proff) wrote in

    > Newsgroups:
    > comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,alt.games.starsiege.tribes,alt.games.half-li
    > fe.counterstrike,24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Why is tribes on the distribution list? (Followup set.)

    Note that there's also an ATI newsgroup.

    ScratchMonkey, Jan 14, 2004