    If I find it to be a copy then can I purchase a original and just change
    the product key or do I have to wipe the machine and reinstall ?

    Thanks for any advice
    lee, Aug 23, 2003

  2. lee

    Rob Guest

    If the CD has the 'genuine' hologram on it, it's legit.

    Rob, Aug 23, 2003

  3. lee

    jeroen Guest

    In article <bi73n6$u2r$>,
    says...

    yup, check http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/default.mspx
    > I bought one from a computer fair last week. (looks legit) LOGO etc
    > And now my brother tells me that lots of fake copies are going around.

    On a computer fair you're much more likely to find an OEM version than
    an actual fake. OEM version are offical, licensed version but they're
    officially not supposed to be sold seperately.

    > If I find it to be a copy then can I purchase a original and just change
    > the product key or do I have to wipe the machine and reinstall ?

    I think the former should do, in fact, if all you want to do is make
    sure M$ get what they should then merely buying it should be sufficient.

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    jeroen, Aug 23, 2003
  4. lee

    lee Guest

    Yer cheers guys
    Looks like a fake / Bitch.
    So to cover my Ass do I need to purchase a new licence and
    change the product key, Or also do I have to format and reinstall./

    lee, Aug 23, 2003
  5. lee

    Eddie Grant Guest

    "lee" <> wrote in message
    > Yer cheers guys
    > Looks like a fake / Bitch.
    > So to cover my Ass do I need to purchase a new licence and
    > change the product key, Or also do I have to format and reinstall./

    Do you think M$ are really going to care that you are using a copied version
    of an outdated piece of software?
    Eddie Grant, Aug 23, 2003
  6. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:bi7b27$380$,
    Eddie Grant <> typed
    || "lee" <> wrote in message
    ||| Yer cheers guys
    ||| Looks like a fake / Bitch.
    ||| So to cover my Ass do I need to purchase a new licence and
    ||| change the product key, Or also do I have to format and reinstall./
    || Do you think M$ are really going to care that you are using a copied
    || version of an outdated piece of software?

    Software piracy is software piracy. Or do you think there is a statute of
    limitations on stealing software?

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Aug 23, 2003
  7. Robert de Brus Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <4AH1b.1547$>:
    > Software piracy is software piracy. Or do you think there is a
    > statute of limitations on stealing software?

    Actually, there probably is here in the US. There are Statute of
    Limitations on darn near everything except murder...

    To the OP. If you own a legit version, and you get audited by MS,
    they just need to know that you bought a legit copy...hence your
    license with the hologram on it that you should be keeping somewhere
    safe. <G>

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Aug 23, 2003
  8. lee

    Ron Martell Guest

    "lee" <> wrote:

    >Is there a way to Identify counterfeit windows 98 cd+license
    >I bought one from a computer fair last week. (looks legit) LOGO etc
    >And now my brother tells me that lots of fake copies are going around.
    >
    >If I find it to be a copy then can I purchase a original and just change
    >the product key or do I have to wipe the machine and reinstall ?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice

    See http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/default.mspx

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada