    these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
    wouldn't they.

    Dave W.

    David W, Jul 1, 2005

  2. David W wrote:
    > Hi group,
    > Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap
    > batteries advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any
    > experience with these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of
    > dangers, but they would wouldn't they.
    >
    > Dave W.

    Hahnel is a make I would trust. Not dirt cheap, but no dirt quality
    either.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 1, 2005

  3. On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:20:28 +0100, "David W"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
    >advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
    >these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
    >wouldn't they.

    I assume you mean non-rechargeables? They would work but go flat
    quicker than 'branded' ones.

    far better, imho, to get some Nimh batteries and a charger from
    somewhere like maplin.

    sponix

    s--p--o--n--i--x, Jul 1, 2005
  4. David W

    A Mate Guest

    The unbranded generic Chinese specials last about half as long as the
    'branded' Chinese batteries in my experience. (I'm talking re-chargeable
    Li-on batteries!).

    A Mate, Jul 1, 2005
  5. David W

    David W Guest

    I should say that I meant the rechargeable Li-Ion batteries; from such
    sources as batterylogic.co.uk etc. Thanks for the response anyway.

    Dave W.

    David W, Jul 1, 2005
  6. David W

    Hal Lowe Guest

    Hi Dave,

    Someone on this NG recommended these batteries to me quite some time
    ago:

    http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/Index.asp

    I've been buying ever since. The chargers are quite good as well.

    Hal Lowe

    http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
    http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (web hosting)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email

    Hal Lowe, Jul 1, 2005
  7. I've got an orbit battery charger and 4 nicd sanyo AA from a chain that is
    specialized in batteries, germanos www.germanos.gr ,for just 11 euro.But the
    batteries are made in japan, I could get a NiMH set with a better charger
    for just 22 euro.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Jul 1, 2005
  8. David W

    Mark Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
    >advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
    >these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
    >wouldn't they.

    ....no problems at all using the widely available Uniross equivalents.
    And a 2 yr warranty, IIRC.

    --
    Mark

    Mark, Jul 1, 2005
  9. David W

    ecm Guest

    David W wrote:
    > Hi group,
    > Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
    > advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
    > these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
    > wouldn't they.
    >
    > Dave W.

    I've used generic LiIon replacements for my Olympus and Canon and they
    work fine; they don't last as long per charge as the originals do -
    generally they last for ~250-350 shots rather than 400. BUT, they cost
    15-25% of the original's replacement cost - eg. Canon BP-511 - Brand
    name $70, generic $12; Oly BLM-01 - Brand $60, generic $17. So, I can
    buy 3-6 generic batteries for the same price as one branded
    replacement. If you're in the States I've had good luck so far with
    www.sterlingtek.com for generic batteries.

    ECM

    ecm, Jul 1, 2005
  10. David W

    Marten Guest

    I've bought Canon BP511 batteries from these guys. They are still going
    strong after 1 year. Two batteries and a charger with AC adapter and car
    cord for US$28 including shipping. That's hard to beat :)
    http://stores.ebay.com/Eforcity_W0QQsspagenameZADMEQ3aBQ3aBNQ3aUSQ3a7QQtZkm

    Marten

    Marten, Jul 1, 2005
  11. David W

    DFS Guest

    "David W" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group,
    > Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap
    > batteries advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any
    > experience with these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers,
    > but they would wouldn't they.
    >
    > Dave W.

    When I bought my G2, maybe three years ago, I bought two spare "off brand"
    batteries at the same time. Both off brand batteries are still going
    strong, the Canon original battery (the same age and use) will no longer
    take or hold a charge.

    DS

    DFS, Jul 1, 2005
  12. David W

    Nostrobino Guest

    "David W" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group,
    > Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap
    > batteries advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any
    > experience with these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers,
    > but they would wouldn't they.
    >
    > Dave W.

    I've bought no-name Li Ion batteries for various Minolta, Canon, Pentax and
    Panasonic cameras from different sellers on eBay, and so far they seem to be
    just as good as the camera makers' branded ones. Most recently I bought a
    couple of Maxell brand batteries for my Nikons (in the EN-EL1 and EN-EL5
    sizes) from Buy.com, and they seem to be fine also. Far cheaper than Nikon
    brand, and free shipping from Buy.com if you buy at least $25 worth of
    stuff. Having the familiar Maxell brand makes me more confident about these,
    though I don't really know if it makes any difference.

    Just be sure to check mAh rating when you buy. Some sizes of batteries come
    in widely different capacities.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jul 1, 2005
  13. David W

    Alan Guest

    "David W" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group,
    > Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap

    batteries
    > advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
    > these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
    > wouldn't they.
    >
    > Dave W.

    I bought 2x generic copies of the Canon BP-511 for a 20D from
    www.7dayshop.com (at £9.95 each) and they have been fine, battery life seems
    similar to the real thing.

    Alan.

    Alan, Jul 1, 2005
  14. David W

    Kitt Guest

    I've had the same experience with the cheap batteries from EBay as
    others have. I haven't really tested, so they may or may not last as
    long as my Nikon original EN-EL3, but if it's less, it's little enough
    that I don't notice. Instead of $40 or $50 a piece that I would have
    paid for brand name replacements, these were about $18 for a two pack
    and that included shipping. (Something like $5.99 for the two pack and
    $12 shipping.) Typically, the battery is only three bucks or
    thereabout, with shipping being twice that, but it's still way less
    than new ones and they work quite well. Mine are near six months old
    with pretty heavy use and still going strong. They've been out in zero
    degree weather at an ice fest in February as well as near one hundred
    degrees at a public garden last week with no ill effects shown.

    Kitt, Jul 1, 2005
  15. David W

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Kitt" <> wrote:

    > I've had the same experience with the cheap batteries from EBay as
    > others have. I haven't really tested, so they may or may not last as
    > long as my Nikon original EN-EL3, but if it's less, it's little enough
    > that I don't notice.

    The guy who goes by the handle of Orphan Biker on eBay has very dependable
    and very economical replacements for EN-EL3's. Everyone else I know who's
    bought from him has been as happy with his batteries as I am.

    Bubbabob, Jul 2, 2005
  16. David W

    Stewy Guest

    In article <da31t1$mm8$>,
    "David W" <> wrote:

    > Hi group,
    > Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
    > advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
    > these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
    > wouldn't they.

    I have the same problem with socks. Do I buy the cheapo ones that wear
    out in 3 months or spend a 10x more for a pair that lasts a whole year?

    Stewy, Jul 2, 2005

  17. >In article <da31t1$mm8$>,
    > "David W" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi group,
    >> Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
    >> advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
    >> these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
    >> wouldn't they.

    Don't know about cameras, but there have certainly been several mobile
    telephones destroyed by counterfeit batteries overheating, and I believe
    a couple of owners have ended up in hospital with burns (not too serious
    IIRC, but unpleasant enough).

    --
    Stephen Poley

    Stephen Poley, Jul 2, 2005
  18. David W

    Kitt Guest

    >From what I read, it's pretty evenly distributed amongst brand name and
    knock off batteries. Looks to me like your odds are about the same
    with either the cheap ones or the expensive ones after all is
    considered.

    Kitt

    Kitt, Jul 2, 2005