    photography?

    Any ideas, suggestions welcomed.
    Donk

    Donkey, Oct 12, 2005

  2. On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:58:58 +0100, "Donkey" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I use a nikon coolpix 3100 to take pictures of my pocket watches to post on
    >the internet but I am considering purchasing a new camera.
    >First question is, do I need a new camera? Will I notice any difference?
    >I have had it for a few years, is it out of date?
    >
    >I would like one with good macro abilities because that's all I'll really
    >use it for.
    >I would want it to be under $500 if possible.
    >
    >I really like the look of the Nikon SLR cameras, are these good for macro
    >photography?

    A good macro lens for a DSLR will cost almost that much.
    The cheapest macro Nikkor for the a Nikon DSLR is 389.95.
    Then the cheapest D50 Nikon body is 649.95.

    Here's a quick overview of macro photography.

    http://www.photo.net/learn/macro/

    *************************************
    A man said to the universe:
    "Sir, I exist!"
    "However" replied the universe,
    "The fact has not created in me
    A sense of obligation."
    Stephen Crane

    John A. Stovall, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Donkey

    GTO Guest

    There is no cheap solution for good close-up photography. Photomacrography
    gets additionally expensive. You need to understand the resolution
    requirements you have at a given photographic reproduction ratio. You can
    achieve a high magnification with rather inexpensive equipment (below $500).
    But rather often the resolution is poor and if you require large prints you
    will notice a significant difference between a low-cost and an expensive
    setup. But if you mainly generate JPEG images for web publication, a
    low-cost setup could be justifiable.

    I started to setup some material into a folder on my pBase account about
    this topic. You can find it at http://www.pbase.com/overney/technologies.
    Mostly, I am using the Nikon 105mm f2.8D lens. It's sharp and a real bargain
    for good quality work.

    The newly published article by Brian could also be helpful. See
    http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artoct05/bjmacro.html

    In the past, I used a Coolpix 990 with a close-up lens. Not too bad. But it
    does not at all compare with a Micro-Nikkor lens.

    Gregor

    GTO, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Donkey

    Bob Williams Guest

    Donkey wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I use a nikon coolpix 3100 to take pictures of my pocket watches to post on
    > the internet but I am considering purchasing a new camera.
    > First question is, do I need a new camera? Will I notice any difference?
    > I have had it for a few years, is it out of date?
    >
    > I would like one with good macro abilities because that's all I'll really
    > use it for.
    > I would want it to be under $500 if possible.
    >
    > I really like the look of the Nikon SLR cameras, are these good for macro
    > photography?
    >
    > Any ideas, suggestions welcomed.
    > Donk

    Before you start spending big bucks to get better pictures of your
    watches, try scanning them on your plain vanilla flatbed scanner (not a
    Canon LIDE type) at around 600 dpi.
    The image quality will blow you away.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Donkey

    Guest

    Look for a Sony DSC-D770 on eBay. Prices now are low. 28-140
    (equiv.) zoom lens with convenient manual focus and quasi-SLR
    viewfinder. I use one to do close-up photos of eBay stuff.

    No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
    http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    , Oct 13, 2005
  6. Donkey

    none Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Before you start spending big bucks to get better pictures of your
    > watches, try scanning them on your plain vanilla flatbed scanner (not a
    > Canon LIDE type) at around 600 dpi.
    > The image quality will blow you away.

    I don't think this will work: the scanner light will reflect off the
    crystal and any polished metal.

    -Mike

    none, Oct 15, 2005