    I'm 99% sure this has to do with the installation of IE 7.

    TIA for how to handle this.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Nov 14, 2006

  2. Steve Freides wrote:

    > We have custom-written Visual FoxPro applications, .EXE's, that are
    > giving an error about an Unknown Publisher. We need to make this go
    > away. For some reason, on some machines, the error doesn't occur or
    > occurs once per application and goes away, but on others, the main
    > program they regularly run brings up this error message every time.
    >
    > I'm 99% sure this has to do with the installation of IE 7.

    A simple test would be to uninstall IE7 (revert to 6) on one of the PCs,
    and see if the error goes away. Have you tried this? Are the FoxPro apps
    running on any PC that has *not* had the IE7 upgrade? Do you get the
    error on an IE6 machine?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 14, 2006

  3. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    >> We have custom-written Visual FoxPro applications, .EXE's, that are
    >> giving an error about an Unknown Publisher. We need to make this go
    >> away. For some reason, on some machines, the error doesn't occur or
    >> occurs once per application and goes away, but on others, the main
    >> program they regularly run brings up this error message every time.
    >>
    >> I'm 99% sure this has to do with the installation of IE 7.

    > A simple test would be to uninstall IE7 (revert to 6) on one of the
    > PCs,
    > and see if the error goes away. Have you tried this? Are the FoxPro
    > apps
    > running on any PC that has *not* had the IE7 upgrade? Do you get the
    > error on an IE6 machine?

    The error occurs _only_ on machines that have had the IE 7 'upgrade.'

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Nov 15, 2006
  4. Steve Freides wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> Steve Freides wrote:
    >>
    >>> We have custom-written Visual FoxPro applications, .EXE's, that are
    >>> giving an error about an Unknown Publisher. We need to make this
    >>> go away. For some reason, on some machines, the error doesn't
    >>> occur or occurs once per application and goes away, but on others,
    >>> the main program they regularly run brings up this error message
    >>> every time.
    >>>
    >>> I'm 99% sure this has to do with the installation of IE 7.

    >> A simple test would be to uninstall IE7 (revert to 6) on one of the
    >> PCs, and see if the error goes away. Have you tried this? Are the
    >> FoxPro apps running on any PC that has *not* had the IE7 upgrade? Do
    >> you get the error on an IE6 machine?

    > The error occurs _only_ on machines that have had the IE 7 'upgrade.'

    That's weird. We can certainly understand how IE7 can break browsing
    situations, and even OL/OE email usage, but a stand-alone executable not
    relying on a browser? At least I'm assuming no browser is involved,
    though VFP can interact with one (not that I've ever done it).

    I have not tested any of my FoxPro apps on an IE7 PC, and likely won't,
    as I'm retired now. And don't have Winders XP. <g>

    I was going to suggest you post in
    microsoft.public.fox.programmer.exchange
    but I see you already did this morning.

    Searching GG for: "unknown publisher" foxpro
    brings up only this thread and the other one you posted this morning...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 15, 2006
  5. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:48:08 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

    >"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    >> Steve Freides wrote:
    >>
    >>> We have custom-written Visual FoxPro applications, .EXE's, that are
    >>> giving an error about an Unknown Publisher. We need to make this go
    >>> away. For some reason, on some machines, the error doesn't occur or

    <snip>

    Another search to try,

    internet explorer 7 unknown publisher

    Digital Signatures - Confusion!
    .... Digital Signature, said it was from an Unknown Publisher! ...
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware found
    7 items (some the ... your computer trusts in Internet
    Explorer/tools/content ...
    news://microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin - Feb 19, 2:49 pm by
    BoaterDave - 11 messages - 2 authors

    Valid digital signatures
    .... version of Msn Messenger 7 but after ... I receive an Internet
    Explorer Security Warning. ...
    Name: INSTALL_MSN_MESSENGER_DL.EXE Publisher: Unknown Publisher This
    file ...
    news://microsoft.public.security - Apr 11 2005, 5:11 pm by AceyBaby - 2
    messages - 2 authors

    Me

    why?, Nov 15, 2006
  6. why? wrote:

    > Another search to try,
    >
    > internet explorer 7 unknown publisher

    This one *might* be the same reason:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.security/browse_thread/thread/798c67ce9fc8f734/1cbab7f59ac9a704?lnk=st&q=internet+explorer+7+%22unknown+publisher%22&rnum=5#1cbab7f59ac9a704>

    Paraphrase: "IE7. The executable in on a network drive. No error when
    program is on local drive." Unfortunately, there is no answer. <g>

    Ah, here's another, except for MS Access:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/a72cc3d50a73e693/4d4e3ff1506de4f3?tvc=1&q=internet+explorer+7+%22unknown+publisher%22#4d4e3ff1506de4f3>

    It would appear Steve's FoxPro problem is the same... IE7 default
    security settings need to be adjusted. Heh, that's going to be a pain if
    he's got hundreds of workstations using these apps. :-(

    Thank you, Sir Bill.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 15, 2006
  7. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > why? wrote:
    >
    >> Another search to try,
    >>
    >> internet explorer 7 unknown publisher

    > This one *might* be the same reason:
    > <http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.security/browse_thread/thread/798c67ce9fc8f734/1cbab7f59ac9a704?lnk=st&q=internet+explorer+7+%22unknown+publisher%22&rnum=5#1cbab7f59ac9a704>
    >
    > Paraphrase: "IE7. The executable in on a network drive. No error when
    > program is on local drive." Unfortunately, there is no answer. <g>
    >
    > Ah, here's another, except for MS Access:
    > <http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/a72cc3d50a73e693/4d4e3ff1506de4f3?tvc=1&q=internet+explorer+7+%22unknown+publisher%22#4d4e3ff1506de4f3>
    >
    > It would appear Steve's FoxPro problem is the same... IE7 default
    > security settings need to be adjusted. Heh, that's going to be a pain
    > if
    > he's got hundreds of workstations using these apps. :-(

    Fortunately, it's only about 15 or 20 workstations - tedious but doable.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Nov 15, 2006
  8. "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    >> why? wrote:
    >>
    >>> Another search to try,
    >>>
    >>> internet explorer 7 unknown publisher

    This:

    http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/archive/2006_10_01_intelliadmin_archive.html

    works, but I thought it didn't as first because a user had the app open.
    You have to close all open instances that might be related to this, it
    seems, before the change clicks.

    Thanks again for the suggestion.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Nov 16, 2006
  9. Steve Freides wrote:

    > "Steve Freides" <> wrote:
    >
    > This:
    >
    > http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/archive/2006_10_01_intelliadmin_archive.html
    >
    > works, but I thought it didn't as first because a user had the app
    > open. You have to close all open instances that might be related to
    > this, it seems, before the change clicks.

    From that page:

    "There is a big security issue with this. Internet Explorer uses these
    same settings. By changing it you are keeping IE from warning users
    about running EXE files. It is unfortunate that Microsoft decided to
    integrate the setting in this way."

    Who says IE isn't part of the OS? <lol>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 16, 2006
  10. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve Freides" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> This:
    >>
    >> http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/archive/2006_10_01_intelliadmin_archive.html
    >>
    >> works, but I thought it didn't as first because a user had the app
    >> open. You have to close all open instances that might be related to
    >> this, it seems, before the change clicks.

    > From that page:
    >
    > "There is a big security issue with this. Internet Explorer uses these
    > same settings. By changing it you are keeping IE from warning users
    > about running EXE files. It is unfortunate that Microsoft decided to
    > integrate the setting in this way."
    >
    > Who says IE isn't part of the OS? <lol>

    Absolutely. The quote you've taken is from the "this is the worst of the
    two possible solutions." I chose to implement the better one. Microsoft
    absolutely, positively ought to be sued for something when they do things
    like this.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Nov 17, 2006
  11. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:43:52 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >
    >> Another search to try,
    >>
    >> internet explorer 7 unknown publisher

    >This one *might* be the same reason:
    ><http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.security/browse_thread/thread/798c67ce9fc8f734/1cbab7f59ac9a704?lnk=st&q=internet+explorer+7+%22unknown+publisher%22&rnum=5#1cbab7f59ac9a704>

    <snip>

    >It would appear Steve's FoxPro problem is the same... IE7 default
    >security settings need to be adjusted. Heh, that's going to be a pain if
    >he's got hundreds of workstations using these apps. :-(

    We had the same today at work, central policy prevents local ActiveX
    helpfiles / chm launching. All for a good reason. User complained it's
    not his job to fix. They have the support contract with the vendor, not
    us as the IT support company. He said it was a waste of his time getting
    the vendor to send 2 new install CDs with a patches.

    So this very expensive app help falls over because of IE. Of course no
    one locally has the rights to change the IE settings.

    >Thank you, Sir Bill.

    Ditto.

    Me

    why?, Nov 17, 2006