    It is formatted as one partition using NTFS and is not the boot drive.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    cowboyz, Jul 28, 2003

  2. cowboyz

    TEX Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > booted my machine up this morning at at the login screen on winXP it said
    > that it cannot read ./
    >
    > I logged in to find my 120G drive was 1G!!! Had 1 folder on it which was a
    > real folder with an app that worked in it.. Basically lost 119G.
    >
    > Did a scan disc and all was good. My stuff is all back and that is all well
    > and good. (esp being as it is 115G used)
    >
    > Anyway, Anyone know what could have caused this? It is a new drive and
    > if this is a sign of things to come I'd rather replace it now.
    >
    > It is formatted as one partition using NTFS and is not the boot drive.
    >

    > --
    > "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    I have come across similar issues and all resulted in PSU faults. In two
    cases the PSU was insufficiantly supplying enough "juice" to spin the
    drives up to speed fully, but would read/write some of the data.
    The other case, there was an issue with a dieing PSU, with dry caps.

    TEX

    TEX, Jul 28, 2003

  3. "cowboyz" <> wrote in a message...
    > booted my machine up this morning at at the login screen on winXP it said
    > that it cannot read ./

    Phew, thank goodness it didn't say that you cannot read /.

    David Hallett, Jul 28, 2003
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "TEX" <> wrote in message news:3f24ed36$...
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > > booted my machine up this morning at at the login screen on winXP it

    said
    > > that it cannot read ./
    > >
    > > I logged in to find my 120G drive was 1G!!! Had 1 folder on it which

    was a
    > > real folder with an app that worked in it.. Basically lost 119G.
    > >
    > > Did a scan disc and all was good. My stuff is all back and that is all

    well
    > > and good. (esp being as it is 115G used)
    > >
    > > Anyway, Anyone know what could have caused this? It is a new drive

    and
    > > if this is a sign of things to come I'd rather replace it now.
    > >
    > > It is formatted as one partition using NTFS and is not the boot drive.
    > >

    > > --
    > > "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    > >

    > I have come across similar issues and all resulted in PSU faults. In two
    > cases the PSU was insufficiantly supplying enough "juice" to spin the
    > drives up to speed fully, but would read/write some of the data.
    > The other case, there was an issue with a dieing PSU, with dry caps.
    >
    > TEX

    Probably worth looking into. Is there something you kno wof that I could
    test the actual output of my PSU and what my components are using? I
    suspected the PSU may be an issue on last upgrade cause it is a 300W and I
    now have a XP2100 GF4MX460, 4 PCI 4IDE and floppy and 256DDR RAM.

    But then I have been running this setup for about 6 weeks now without any
    issues so I thought I might as well keep this PSU. The other day was the
    first sign of anything wayward.

    if I could get a test that would show (for instance) my PSU putting out 290W
    and my compnents using 320W I would definitely replace it but I would be
    bugged if I replace a perfectly good PSU to find the hard drive fails in a
    month.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    cowboyz, Jul 28, 2003