    wrong thing in the wrong place?
    Thank you,
    Dribbler (wanting to prove us blondes aren't that stupid!)
    Dribbler, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Dribbler

    alan Guest

    It is about as simple as you suspect to replace a cd drive with dvd etc..
    Take care to disconnect from mains and earth yourself by touching eg a
    radiator frequently. Check orientation of all plugs as you remove them and
    reinsert them the same the same way. Depending on your OS you may have some
    fun persuading it to "see" the new drive, but generally its a doddle.

    alan

    "Dribbler" <> wrote in message
    > I've bought myself an internal DVD rewriter.
    > I would really like to jump in at the deep end and fit it myself. Could I?
    > Do I just take the leads out of the old drive and slot them into the new
    > one?
    > Could it really be that simple or could I do permanent damage by putting

    the

    alan, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Dribbler

    SwissTony Guest

    "Dribbler" <> wrote in message
    > I've bought myself an internal DVD rewriter.
    > I would really like to jump in at the deep end and fit it myself. Could I?
    > Do I just take the leads out of the old drive and slot them into the new
    > one?
    > Could it really be that simple or could I do permanent damage by putting

    the
    > wrong thing in the wrong place?
    > Thank you,
    > Dribbler (wanting to prove us blondes aren't that stupid!)

    When you remove the old one, make a note of what setting the jumper is on.
    (little plastic clip that covers 2 pins)
    It will either be master, slave or cables select.
    Set your new drive with the same settings. Drives usually have a diagram on
    them so u get the jumper on the right pins.
    SwissTony, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Dribbler

    Jerry G. Guest

    This is very easy. Just remove the old one, and put in the new one. Take
    care for the orientation of the ribbon cable, so that pin 1 is still in the
    correct position. Since these are all very standard, it should all line up
    properly. By default, the jumpers should be in the correct position from the
    factory.

    The next step is to uninstall your CD ROM, or burner software, and reinstall
    the new software that comes with the drive. This will include the newer
    required drivers, and program that would work best with the new drive.

    If your old drive still works well, and you want to have 2 drives, it is
    possible to leave your old drive in the machine. Then you do not have to
    uninstall the new software, if it is a different type of software from the
    new one. If the new one is using the same type of software, then it is best
    to use the updated one.

    To have 2 CD drives in a machine, you will require an additional ribbon
    cable and power connector, and have the facility on the mother board to have
    more than 2 IDE devices. You will have to use the second IDE port on the
    mother board, and go in to the BIOS to open it up. The jumpers on the drive
    may have to be moved to have the drive set as the master for that buss, if
    there are no other drives along with it.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Sep 5, 2004
  5. Dribbler

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:19:40 +0100, "Dribbler" <> wrote:

    >I've bought myself an internal DVD rewriter.
    >I would really like to jump in at the deep end and fit it myself. Could I?
    >Do I just take the leads out of the old drive and slot them into the new
    >one?

    Yes. The DVD drive connects exactly as your old drive.

    >Could it really be that simple or could I do permanent damage by putting the
    >wrong thing in the wrong place?
    >Thank you,
    >Dribbler (wanting to prove us blondes aren't that stupid!)

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Sep 6, 2004